Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

You Can't Predict A Season Based On Week 1

Last season in Week 1 the Bills dismantled the Rams and everybody was convinced Buff was going to win the Super Bowl. The Bengals started 0-2 and everybody was convinced they weren't even going to make the playoffs. But months later, the Bengals beat the Bills with relative ease in Buff to advance to the AFC Championship. This happens every season. Some teams (not all) that start hot fade, and some teams that started slow get hot later in the season. Very often teams look totally different in Week 18 than they did in Week 1.

Every NFL pundit today is marveling at Tua and the Dolphins, calling yesterday "a statement game." blah blah blah But the reality is if JCJ had not had his Marlon McCree moment at the end of the 1st half, the narrative would be completely different today. That one bone-headed decision meant the difference between the Chargers winning the game by a point and losing the game by two.

I am not defending Brandon Staley. I have the same doubts and concerns as most Chargers fans about him. I'm not necessarily trying to be positive. I am being real. Week 1 games don't define a season for a team. It might be different if the Chargers were beat badly on both sides of the ball. But the offense was really good, it is #4 in scoring, #3 in total yards and #1 in rushing after Week 1.

The defense had a bad game. But Week 1 performances don't define an entire season for a defense or an offense. The Chargers have invested heavily in this defense. The Dolphins may very well have the best offense in the NFL right now. The experience of getting torched may help the defense improve. I am not writing off the defense based on a lousy performance in Week 1. And there were some positives. The defense did have its moments where it shut down the Dolphins' passing game. JCJ did have an INT. And the run defense was good.

If the Chargers win their next three and go into their Week 5 bye 3-1, nobody will even care about this game. I see kind of a rivalry building between Staley and McDaniel, the defensive HC vs the offensive HC. Staley won round 1 last season in a game the Chargers dominated. McDaniel was embarrassed and grew sick of hearing about the "Staley plan" and he won round 2 - by the skin of his teeth. Maybe the rubber match comes in January.

It was Week 1. Don't read too much into it. On to Tennessee.
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

This is a fair take, and I agree I'd rather start slow and finish strong than the other way around.

But given Staley's past performance as well as of this defense (worse every year under him), it's difficult to shake that feeling of "here we go again."
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2022
      • Send PM

The Dolphins might have the best offense in the NFL right now. They just attack starting on 1st down.

It looks like the running game is better. If fact, vs. the Dolphins I don't understand with around 3 minutes or so left...we were running no-huddle. I was thinking maybe we could run the clock out. Or at least try. Oh well.

The Chiefs lost yesterday. And I expect them to be there in the end. So yeah. Its only one game.

Problem is, the elephant in the room. Staley. What a bummer.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
        But given Staley's past performance as well as of this defense (worse every year under him), it's difficult to shake that feeling of "here we go again."
        I totally understand this feeling because I have it myself. If the defense doesn't improve and continues to hold the team back and the Chargers are .500 or worse at midseason, I honestly don't know if I can continue watching Staley ball.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
          The Precious
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

In our last three games we have scored 92 points and we are 0-3. This defense is going backwards and fast and I don’t see how it gets fixed we had all our guys out there yesterday and it was worse than when the backups were playing last year.

Staley ain’t the guy.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

It's also a matter of "when" you play em.
            yesterday's performance beats a lot of teams in the NFL.
            G-Ro knows.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

While you cannot judge a team after one game, I can judge an ownership on striking out on three head coaching candidates in-a-row. I am for creating a league rule that IF you select three bad head coaches in a row, as the Spanos clan has clearly done, you are required to sell the team, and this rule shall forbid crappy owners from ever selecting a FOURTH head coach.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. Good post, Velo.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Does anyone remember this play ?
                1986 Season.
                Game 1.
                Chargers 50.
                Dolphins 28.
                It was the last victory of Don Coryell's coaching career.

Food for thought.
                G1 does not a season make.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                  The Precious
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  Man I just can’t do it anymore he had a whole offseason and that’s what he ran out as a defensive game plan? I didn’t see any effort to adjust. Miami brought the heat on our last possession and it won the game. I’m done trying to rationalize and make excuses for consistent underachievement but that’s just me. I’d love to eat crow on this and we would be so lucky and not even Lady Luck is looking our way. Moore outcoached Staley yesterday even with that last series. Those holes in the run game were massive and Miami wasn’t allowing shit deep and Moore gets some time to get even better. IMO Brandon is about out of time.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                    Chargers Hall of Fame
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

This is an odd thread, IMO. I think we all know this.

But I didn't make my season predictions on any games this year. I made it based on Staley's coaching and record thus far. And game 1 fully confirmed what we've been seeing the past seasons with him at the helm. He does not have what it takes to coach our D.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                      Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. Good post, Velo.
                      Some of your posts are the reason I started this thread.

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      Same with you. Some of your posts make me think, and this is another one of those.

It is a matter of when you play them.

And yesterday's performance beats the Chiefs and the Bengals, and would've beat the Dolphins save one bone-headed decision by JCJ.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Ainsley's first game as DC.
                        Imma gonna cling to dat.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                        X