Do We Need The Gutsy (Analytics) Staley Back?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AFboltfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2018
    • Balboa Park bench
    • Medical Simulation
    • Send PM

Do We Need The Gutsy (Analytics) Staley Back?

Do we need the analytics driven gambler Staley from his first year and a half? I hated it at first but have to admit he seems to have regressed and we can't win with the traditional conservative approach he "seems" to have now taken. No this is not a "Fire Staley" thread, more of a go back to the beginning thread.

Is Moore analytics minded or more X's and O's? Would that mindset be oil and water with these 2?

I kinda want to see us go back to the gutsy play calls...
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Staley does not have confidence in the Offense to convert 4th downs and neither do i

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

We need Staley replaced. End of story.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

We were 3 for 3 on 4th downs today. But I agree, he has definitely dialed it back the past two years. Ironically, his explanation about why is trusting the D more. Talk about misplaced trust…

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          We were 3 for 3 on 4th downs today. But I agree, he has definitely dialed it back the past two years. Ironically, his explanation about why is trusting the D more. Talk about misplaced trust…
          Seems like his overall strategy has been to have just that one meaningful play defended within a game so that the offense can carry them to a nail-biting win rather than have an overall consistently dominant defensive performance. He brought in the players he thought could do that, but they are all for the most part a disappointment because it doesn't seem they buy in to what he is selling, or just can't execute at this stage of their careers. Either way, approaching games that way is a losers' mentality. Ironically, when he didn't have the players he wanted and simplified the defense, he got more out of them. That's with guys like Chris Hinton and Breiden Fehoko starting.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Staley needs to give up the DC job and be the head coach.

The defense can't be any worse.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Send PM

Yeah, at this point, you need to reevaluate your players, your scheme and take some extreme gambles. If it were me, I'd move JC Jackson to be a safety strictly for over-the-top help (maybe he can become a pick machine again from that position), stop moving Derwin around and let him strictly rush the passer like Micah Parsons and stop rotating corners. I'd give the green dot back to Gilman, and I'd have Tuli and Dayan (when he comes back) in starting roles.

Biggest mistake for Staley is not finding a dominating nose or DT in the draft or free agency. I don't understand how he doesn't see that most of his scheme is predicated on having a dominant NT/DT who can generate pressure while also being able to stop the run. SJD and Johnson were definitely not it, and it should have been obvious.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2018
                • Balboa Park bench
                • Medical Simulation
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                He basically brought in his guys and lost his edge, the team plays with no confidence or killer instinct.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Staley needs to get his defense to play without fouling. Both games very costly mental mistakes penalties that helped the opponent put points on the board.

And I think it was a mistake to at least have the offense play some 2min offense in pre season to prep for regular season.

I don't think he change much on being aggressive they went for 2pts and got it. I think he has his this is a green situation analysis and trust it. Along with trying to play the feel of the game.
                  ​​​​​​
                  it's not like he coached these games in a way that his player didn't have a chance to win. If I'm one of his players, there is no way I can look at my coach and say he didn't put us in a position to win. They didn't play their best football and they were still just 1 play away from a win in each game.
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• AFboltfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2018
                    • Balboa Park bench
                    • Medical Simulation
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    Staley needs to get his defense to play without fouling. Both games very costly mental mistakes penalties that helped the opponent put points on the board.

And I think it was a mistake to at least have the offense play some 2min offense in pre season to prep for regular season.

I don't think he change much on being aggressive they went for 2pts and got it. I think he has his this is a green situation analysis and trust it. Along with trying to play the feel of the game.
                    ​​​​​​
                    it's not like he coached these games in a way that his player didn't have a chance to win. If I'm one of his players, there is no way I can look at my coach and say he didn't put us in a position to win. They didn't play their best football and they were still just 1 play away from a win in each game.
                    If I remember correctly we started well into the game with no penalties, even the announcers commented on it. Then after the half all hell broke loose, seems we lose focus and panic.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Send PM

Whatever the solution is, it isn't doing what we have been doing defensively and hoping to expect a different result. The overreliance on veteran talent needs to be looked into. I mean, the only time we've seen Staley actually have a successful coaching run was when most of his so-called guys went down last year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
                        Do we need the analytics driven gambler Staley from his first year and a half? I hated it at first but have to admit he seems to have regressed and we can't win with the traditional conservative approach he "seems" to have now taken. No this is not a "Fire Staley" thread, more of a go back to the beginning thread.

Is Moore analytics minded or more X's and O's? Would that mindset be oil and water with these 2?

I kinda want to see us go back to the gutsy play calls...
                        His defense is awful so don't care about being a gambler on 4th downs.

He needs to go period and take the shit defensive scheme with him .

Comment

Working...
                        X