• QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    Gates forced him to lateral?
    Gates had sort of a comical hold on his foot, and kept lifting it higher & higher in the hopes, I suppose, that he could eventually upend him. This gave the bonehead DB time to act out his genius plan to lateral the ball at his own 5 yard line. Play of the year so far.

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Lost in the looniness of that play is Gates single handily forcing the lateral and then the fumble.
      I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw Gates throwing down some Freudian hypnotism, convincing that poor Cardinal to lateral the ball to a defensive end inside his own 3 yard line.

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
        Gates had sort of a comical hold on his foot, and kept lifting it higher & higher in the hopes, I suppose, that he could eventually upend him. This gave the bonehead DB time to act out his genius plan to lateral the ball at his own 5 yard line. Play of the year so far.
        Yeah, he was pumping his leg like one of those old-fashioned well pumps.

Shit, am I showing my age again?

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          Yeah, he was pumping his leg like one of those old-fashioned well pumps.

Shit, am I showing my age again?
          Well..
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

2 strange plays last night... of course that one.

But how about Novak's Kickoff, that went into the endzone, then rolled back out, and went out of bounds at the 1?

It was called a touchback correctly, I guess...but I'm thinking this should be written into the rule book as the offense takes over at the 1 yard line. Much harder to kick it into the end zone, and then come back out...don't reward them with the ball at the twenty!

That was something else.
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I thought they were going to place it on the 40.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• TTK
                EX-Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • America's Finest City
                • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                Leaving one's feet makes it easier for injuries and/or fumbles. Mathews and his coaches need to know his weaknesses and avoid the Superman play. Yea, it looks cool, and I admire the bravery involved. But sometimes it's better to be smart - especially in a game that doesn't matter.

At the goal line, I prefer a traditional formation, not a Jumbo package. Runningbacks need more space at the goalline, not more blockers.

However, considering how crap our O'line has been, I'd prefer to have extra blockers for plays that aren't at the goalline. I know that sounds like a backwards strategy, but I think it would work best considering who our players are.
                If McCoy and Whiz are as smart as advertised, they'll make the appropriate adjustments for those dive plays. Mathews looked great doing it in week one on that fourth down but both dives last night didn't look good at all.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

made the top 10
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Vermstyr
                    ACEofSPADES11
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Mass
                    • Send PM

Not trying to make an excuse for him, but I think Ryan Mathews was tired after his run and dive into the flat the play before. He was entirely flat footed in his stance before the play began and his 'jump' didn't have much explosiveness to it. Could have played a factor into him not holding the ball properly.

All the mistakes he makes are mental, and he has had conditioning issues in the past and you make more mental mistakes when you are tired. It is just not a good combination.

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Vermstyr View Post
                      Not trying to make an excuse for him, but I think Ryan Mathews was tired after his run and dive into the flat the play before. He was entirely flat footed in his stance before the play began and his 'jump' didn't have much explosiveness to it. Could have played a factor into him not holding the ball properly.

All the mistakes he makes are mental, and he has had conditioning issues in the past and you make more mental mistakes when you are tired. It is just not a good combination.
                      Well, since all we have behind him on the depth charts are 3rd down type backs he better not get tired when the games start.

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                        Made the Top ONE! And well deserved. Love to watch that play.

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                          Made the Top ONE! And well deserved. Love to watch that play.
                          Yeah, and you have the full DVD collection of "The Three Stooges" as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X