Clear All
  • Antonio's Gates
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers-Cardinals Review

just finished watching it again.

QB:

- Rivers was solid again. I'm liking how he's not hesitant to step into the pocket. On the interception the lineman stripped it out of rivers hand as he was throwing it. Can't put that one on Rivers. Two 80+ yard drives? Yes please

- Whitehurst was alright, nothing really good nothing really bad

- Sorensen same thing but he's a rookie and I love his composure.

RB:

- Mathews continues his impressive preseason. The fumble ruined a perfect night. Didn't have two hands on the ball, which to me is a must at the goaline.

- Fozzy made some plays. Looks better than Ronnie Brown who looks done to me.

- Baker was the more impressive than Fozzy to me. Showed speed and power. 6:21 4th quarter put a defensive lineman on his ass with a stiff arm then showed speed to get outside. Would have loved to seen Baker get time with the twos. Maybe Thursday.

- Rivers is gonna love those dumpoffs to Woodhead

- McClain put whoever the Cards punter is on his ass on Allens long return, then made sure to shove his head into the dirt too. Loved it.

WR:

- Nothing good, bad or new to report here. Meachem still sucks. Allen is going to be a weapon on screens. Goodman can be cut tomorrow for all I care. Team needs to find a KR/PR ASAP.

TE:

- Green needs time with the ones. I didn't see him get any reps with them tonight. He's too good to be standing on the sidelines. His blocking is also much better. 14:23 3rd quarter, his block springs a long run by Whittaker.

OL:

- Dunlap near perfect again in pass protection. Keeps reminding me of McNeill. Sucks in the run game just like he did too.

- Hardwick bodyslammed Dan Williams at the 4:07 mark in the 1st quarter. Best block of the night.

- I'm going to keep saying it, Clary is legit at guard. He had his way with Darnell Dockett all night. 13:04 mark 1st quarter he pancakes Dockett. 3:50 mark 2nd quarter he stonewalls Dockett in pass pro, showing great hand use/punch. 2:13 mark 2nd quarter he stonewalls Dockett in pass pro again. He had numerous other pancakes in run blocking. I just stopped counting. He allowed one pressure all night. I don't know what Clary was ever doing at tackle. He is made for guard.

- Fluker was dominant in run blocking as usual but his pass protection was much much better. 13:06 1st quarter, pancakes Dockett. Very next play he pancakes Dansby. 9:41 mark 1st quarter he collapses the whole right side of the line. Did the same thing on Mathews' TD. 2:37 mark 2nd quarter, clears out Dockett. He was however beat by honeybadger on Rivers' INT. It forced Clary to abandon his guy who ended up getting a hand on the ball. This was Flukers only mistake.

- Ohrnberger or whatever was the backup center, ahead of Molk and looked a lot better than him too. Molk will probably get cut.

- Troutman had a solid all around game. Much better in pass pro. Didn't give up any pressures and moved people in the run game as usual.

- Still don't trust Harris but he had a decent game. Did see him get beat twice however, just didn't cost the team. I think it's interesting that Harris was the one that went in when Dunlap got hurt. Could he make it over Starks? There's $2 million reasons why he could.

- Sidenote: Check out the pass protection at 3:50 in the 2nd quarter. PERFECT. Everyone up front dominated on this play.

DEFENSE

DL:

- Freeney was insane tonight. I counted SEVEN pressures, not including his sack. If he plays like that during the regular season, watch out

- Cam Thomas was a wall. 11:10 mark 1st quarter he blows up the line to stop Mendenhall in the backfield for a loss. Saw him collapse the pocket routinely.

- Scafe has potential. I don't think baby Spanos was completely blowing smoke when he hyped him. 2:44 mark 1st quarter he tackles Mendenhall with one hand. Great show of strength there. He's still inconsistent but he shows an ability to shed blocks. He's been better than Wynn.

- Geathers is hard to move. Didn't really see him penetrate but I also didn't see him get pushed at all and he was going up against starters. Did see him push back Cooper on one play but I forgot to write down the time.

LB:

- English had an excellent game. Numerous pressures and made a great play setting the edge and pursuing at the 12:45 mark in the 2nd quarter.

- Bird gets blown up in the running game easily but is decent in coverage. DJ Smith is better than him though and I think it's only a matter of time before he loses his spot to him on the depth chart.

- Gachkar showed awareness. He's an improving player and is a key special teamer.

- Tourek had momentum going into the preseason games but he hasn't really done anything since. Keiser should be ahead of both him and Beltre. Keiser had a great game. 1:35 mark 3rd quarter with the spin move to get the sack. No doubt he learned that from Freeney. I love his size too. Beltre is a practice squad guy to me right now. He hustles his ass off but his tackling and pass rush need work.

DB:

- Taylor looked a lot more physical than Gilchrist. While Gilchrist was "just there", Taylor was a lot more aggressive and had no problems getting his nose in there in the run game. Nice forced fumble too. Gilchrist is probably better in coverage but I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor is starting ahead of Gilchrist before the season is over.

- Addae is interesting. His awareness/instinct/acceleration at the 7:05 mark in the 2nd quarter was awesome. His tackling? terrible. If he makes that tackle, that's the highlight of the game defensively IMO. Tackling can be taught. Instincts like he has? not so much. Question is, do they put him on the PS or does he make the team?

thats all I got for now. I'll add more in this thread if I think of anything.
    Last edited by Antonio's Gates; 08-25-2013, 02:13 AM.
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Great review. I love reading these!

Freeney and English both look good out there, with Freeney really looking amazing (Worse than the "other guy" lol). I thought JJ's strong suit was sealing that edge. He's blown that a few times, two weeks in a row now for big gains. At least he's showing up rushing the QB.

I've been trying to key in on Williams and Keiser in all the games and Williams has been pretty disappointing but Keiser has looked pretty good all along and keeps getting better.

Whitehurst and Starks just don't stand out at all. Though Mike Harris is scary to watch, I see them going younger and cheaper at those positions. Sorensen just looks so poised out there.

Goodman has an uncanny talent to run straight into brick walls. It's pretty amazing. Meachem? Yeah, he made a couple of catches but is there really any hope for this guy?

Rivers is doing exactly what McCoy has been saying all off season. Run the up tempo offense, get the ball out of his hands quickly and make better decisions and less turnovers. His two INTs so far have been bad luck. That stuff's going to happen though. It's not very exciting or pretty to watch, especially compared to the bombs Norv would dial up but I think Rivers is going to be super effective running McCoy's/Whiz's offense especially with the vastly improved running game.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Solid review!

I was disappointed that Beltre hasn't really improved his pass rush technique. Seems like he's ticketed for the PS after his strong start. Keiser had a very nice night and likely locked up a roster spot assuming he can play special teams.

I don't think Wynn makes the roster if TT can pick up a better option on the waiver wire. Scafe has shown some steady improvement each game and has made a play or two in each of them.

Comment

• Grinners
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Thanks guys some really good points and nicely put. Very well done!
        I would actually place more blame on Rivers with regards to the INT than what you did. He needs to have more pocket awareness and get rid of the ball faster, even if he had to throw it away on that play. The pressure was coming and he knew it he just wants to make a play every down and I love that about him, but sometimes he making a play is throwing it away. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

Thanks for taking the time, AG----nice review, & from my view, it was spot on.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Fozzy reminds me of Brinkley- just a guy but BR was spooging all over him and the connection to Wiz on pregame radio. I like Baker the best of the 3 fringe RBs that includes Hill. If Baker could return KOs he makes the roster and we cut Goodman.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Nice review.

The right side of the OL remains one of the real bright spots. They really clear it out on running plays. Forgot who he was blocking, but Hardwick had a great seal to spring Mathews on a run up the gut. Fluker just moves his man or men. ON a good Mathews run I saw him kind of falling down and even that took out two guys.

Agree on Rivers. He has had some bad luck, but he's looking better to me.

Tutu remains a favorite target. I would say I am generally not concerned about Allen and Brown heading the WR corps. If they can stay healthy, we'll watch them blossom through the season. Green really does need to have a significant role in this offense. He has a knack for getting open and is a threat after the catch. Looks bigger to me this year. Regardless of the ecnomomics, I don't see a role for MEachem on this squad. Cut your losses.

Mathews is very talented. Just has to stay healthy and hang onto the ball. Whats the deal with him at the goal line. The combo of him and the lineplay in the run game has been the highlight of the preseason.

Really liked what I saw of Keiser and Gachkar. Not sure they are ever going to be big-timers or starters, but they are nice role players.

Addae is always in the mix. He needs to finish plays more, so he's not polished but you can't ignore what he's shown.

I see a lot of positives. There are some weaknesses, to be sure. I wonder about depth on D in particular. And against real pass rushes, I think we're going to struggle some. So I acknowledge the rough patches but I see something happening here. Another offseason like this should put us in some pretty good shape.
              Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 08-25-2013, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Grinners View Post
                Thanks guys some really good points and nicely put. Very well done!
                I would actually place more blame on Rivers with regards to the INT than what you did. He needs to have more pocket awareness and get rid of the ball faster, even if he had to throw it away on that play. The pressure was coming and he knew it he just wants to make a play every down and I love that about him, but sometimes he making a play is throwing it away. Just my 2 cents.
                I agree on the int. I think Rivers can be his own worst enemy at times. He likes to give his receivers a chance to make plays, and he had a good OL for a long time, so really likes to hold the ball, which is a real problem these days.

Now he needs to work at getting the ball out quicker. With an OL who can run block like ours, and some quick guys at receiver in the passing game, we need to focus on not getting sacked or giving up turnover, even if it means some incomplete passes. Rivers just needs to keep working on getting the ball out. And I think he is already a lot better at it then he was. But he has a ways to go.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post

QB:

- Rivers was solid again. I'm liking how he's not hesitant to step into the pocket. On the interception the lineman stripped it out of rivers hand as he was throwing it. Can't put that one on Rivers. Two 80+ yard drives? Yes please

RB:

- Mathews continues his impressive preseason. The fumble ruined a perfect night. Didn't have two hands on the ball, which to me is a must at the goaline.

- Baker was the more impressive than Fozzy to me. Showed speed and power. 6:21 4th quarter put a defensive lineman on his ass with a stiff arm then showed speed to get outside. Would have loved to seen Baker get time with the twos. Maybe Thursday.

- McClain put whoever the Cards punter is on his ass on Allens long return, then made sure to shove his head into the dirt too. Loved it.

WR:

- Nothing good, bad or new to report here. Meachem still sucks. Allen is going to be a weapon on screens. Goodman can be cut tomorrow for all I care. Team needs to find a KR/PR ASAP.

TE:

- Green needs time with the ones. I didn't see him get any reps with them tonight. He's too good to be standing on the sidelines. His blocking is also much better. 14:23 3rd quarter, his block springs a long run by Whittaker.

OL:

- Dunlap near perfect again in pass protection. Keeps reminding me of McNeill. Sucks in the run game just like he did too.

- Hardwick bodyslammed Dan Williams at the 4:07 mark in the 1st quarter. Best block of the night.

- I'm going to keep saying it, Clary is legit at guard. He had his way with Darnell Dockett all night. 13:04 mark 1st quarter he pancakes Dockett. 3:50 mark 2nd quarter he stonewalls Dockett in pass pro, showing great hand use/punch. 2:13 mark 2nd quarter he stonewalls Dockett in pass pro again. He had numerous other pancakes in run blocking. I just stopped counting. He allowed one pressure all night. I don't know what Clary was ever doing at tackle. He is made for guard.

- Fluker was dominant in run blocking as usual but his pass protection was much much better. 13:06 1st quarter, pancakes Dockett. Very next play he pancakes Dansby. 9:41 mark 1st quarter he collapses the whole right side of the line. Did the same thing on Mathews' TD. 2:37 mark 2nd quarter, clears out Dockett. He was however beat by honeybadger on Rivers' INT. It forced Clary to abandon his guy who ended up getting a hand on the ball. This was Flukers only mistake.

- Ohrnberger or whatever was the backup center, ahead of Molk and looked a lot better than him too. Molk will probably get cut.

- Troutman had a solid all around game. Much better in pass pro. Didn't give up any pressures and moved people in the run game as usual.

- Still don't trust Harris but he had a decent game. Did see him get beat twice however, just didn't cost the team. I think it's interesting that Harris was the one that went in when Dunlap got hurt. Could he make it over Starks? There's $2 million reasons why he could.

- Sidenote: Check out the pass protection at 3:50 in the 2nd quarter. PERFECT. Everyone up front dominated on this play.

DEFENSE

DL:

- Freeney was insane tonight. I counted SEVEN pressures, not including his sack. If he plays like that during the regular season, watch out

- Cam Thomas was a wall. 11:10 mark 1st quarter he blows up the line to stop Mendenhall in the backfield for a loss. Saw him collapse the pocket routinely.

- Scafe has potential. I don't think baby Spanos was completely blowing smoke when he hyped him. 2:44 mark 1st quarter he tackles Mendenhall with one hand. Great show of strength there. He's still inconsistent but he shows an ability to shed blocks. He's been better than Wynn.

- Geathers is hard to move. Didn't really see him penetrate but I also didn't see him get pushed at all and he was going up against starters. Did see him push back Cooper on one play but I forgot to write down the time.

LB:

- English had an excellent game. Numerous pressures and made a great play setting the edge and pursuing at the 12:45 mark in the 2nd quarter.

- Bird gets blown up in the running game easily but is decent in coverage. DJ Smith is better than him though and I think it's only a matter of time before he loses his spot to him on the depth chart.

- Gachkar showed awareness. He's an improving player and is a key special teamer.

- Tourek had momentum going into the preseason games but he hasn't really done anything since. Keiser should be ahead of both him and Beltre. Keiser had a great game. 1:35 mark 3rd quarter with the spin move to get the sack. No doubt he learned that from Freeney. I love his size too. Beltre is a practice squad guy to me right now. He hustles his ass off but his tackling and pass rush need work.

DB:

- Taylor looked a lot more physical than Gilchrist. While Gilchrist was "just there", Taylor was a lot more aggressive and had no problems getting his nose in there in the run game. Nice forced fumble too. Gilchrist is probably better in coverage but I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor is starting ahead of Gilchrist before the season is over.

- Addae is interesting. His awareness/instinct/acceleration at the 7:05 mark in the 2nd quarter was awesome. His tackling? terrible. If he makes that tackle, that's the highlight of the game defensively IMO. Tackling can be taught. Instincts like he has? not so much. Question is, do they put him on the PS or does he make the team?

rep .
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

I agree with pretty much everything AG.

Gachkar made a nice pick...but that was DJ Smith, blowing up the TE.
                    -Haven't seen anything from Bird that is as good as Smith.

Scafe! I like this kid...he plays hard too...just a real worker out there. Really like him... maybe he's one of those PS gems that work out.
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post

QB:

RB:

WR:

TE:

OL:

DEFENSE

DL:

LB:

DB:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Antonio's Gates again. Well done, sir.

Comment

• Hard Charger
                        Chargers fan since 1977!
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Great review AG! I hope you continue this trend during the regular season. I'm getting to where I look forward to them every week.

Thanks Man!

HC

Comment

Working...
                        X