• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Go Chargers go
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
    Alex Spanos bought 60% of the franchise in 1984.

Don Coryell 1978-1986. Inherited. Probably the best Head Coach we ever had, unless you like Sid Gillman.

Al Saunders 1986-1988 First and Only Head Coaching job.

Dan Henning 1989-1991 went 22-41 as the Head Coach of the Falcons for 4 years... 3 years later he takes over the Bolts and goes 16-32...worse than in Atlanta. Never a HC in the NFL again.

Bobby Ross 1992-1996 1st NFL HC job, came from Georgia Tech where he had won a National Title. Lasts 3.5 years as HC of the Lions after the Chargers.

Kevin Gilbride 1997-1998 1st and only NFL HC job. went 6-16 and was fired 6 games into second season. Never a HC in the NFL again.

June Jones 1998 Interim...went 3-7. Became a college HC.

Mike Riley 1999-2001 1st time NFL HC. Never an NFL HC again... came from college. Went back to college and failed pretty much everywhere he went.

Marty Schottenheimer 2002-2006 Brought in an established NFL Head Coach, with 16 years HC experience. Was cheap because Washington was still paying him.

Norv Turner 2007-2012 Norv was brought in, I think mostly as an "F You" to Marty. He had 9 previous seasons as an NFL HC. Never a HC again, but was an OC for several teams.

Mike McCoy 2013-2016 1st and only HC job. Was brought in after running the Broncos offense, was fired by the Broncos and Cardinals as OC after he left the Chargers.

Anthony Lynn 2017-2020 1st and only HC job. He is now a running backs coach with the 49ers...which is the position he started the year in with the Bills, the year before the Chargers hired them.

Brandon Staley 2021- present 1st and only HC job. Turned a 1 year run as a DC of the Rams into a HC gig.

So what do with this list?
    Well... we know to expect someone cheap... they will most likely be a first time head coach. (and probably last time)

We had as much success as we've ever had under these owners by hiring established coaches. (think what you want about Norv, we went to the AFC Championship game under him)

McCoy and Staley were both Flash in the pans. Lynn... I do not understand that hiring at all...he was not qualified to be a HC. The Lions hired him to be the OC after he left here, and they fired him in the first season, after they stripped him of playcalling duties.

Give me someone with some time as a Coordinator. Or, if you look to college...look to someone who built a program (like Bobby Ross did).

We need an experienced hand. Like I'm no Doug Pederson fan... (from the Eagles, coaches the Jags)...but look at what he's doing with the Jags. Shoot, look at what Sean Payton has done with the Broncos. Insane.

I'm not saying it has to be an experienced NFL Head Coach... it could be a coordinator. Just not a "flash in the pan' Coordinator. Someone who's done it a while.

I don't know gang, all I know is this ownership group is cheap, they are known for being cheap, and they hire unproven people...and they make BAD selections, MOST of the time.

(And Telesco needs to go too. Sorry man. You have had a ton of misses, and you can't draft an Offensive Lineman to save your ass)
    Looks like Stainley gets another year

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

You guys are getting your hopes up for nothing.

Chargers will go on a mini run here, finish with 9 wins and flirt with a wild card spot and it will be enough to bring back Staley and TT.

Just watch.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
        You guys are getting your hopes up for nothing.

Chargers will go on a mini run here, finish with 9 wins and flirt with a wild card spot and it will be enough to bring back Staley and TT.

Just watch.
        The best thing for this franchise is to finish 6-11.

But you are right, nothing would make the Spanii happier than a back door 8-9 record and the Spanii saying "they finished strongly"

As the biggest reason they need to finish 6-11 as Telesco needs to go - -he cannot be trusted to build out this roster. He had the laziest offseason this last year -

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The best thing for this franchise is to finish 6-11.

But you are right, nothing would make the Spanii happier than a back door 8-9 record and the Spanii saying "they finished strongly"

As the biggest reason they need to finish 6-11 as Telesco needs to go - -he cannot be trusted to build out this roster. He had the laziest offseason this last year -
          Lynn finished strong with 4 straight wins and he stil got canned.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lynn finished strong with 4 straight wins and he stil got canned.
            Good point -- forgot about Lynn winning those games
            I guess when it comes to the Spanii - I always think of the worst possible outcome until it happens

Comment

• Air Coryell
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2021
              • Carlsbad, CA
              • Teacher, Coach, CFO
              • Send PM

It's really a perfect time for Spanos to sell. Buyer can hire GM and management team. Otherwise, many of the same for Spanos. And no game balls.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Irmo, SC
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                It's really a perfect time for Spanos to sell. Buyer can hire GM and management team. Otherwise, many of the same for Spanos. And no game balls.
                That would be a wonderful Christmas present.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Good point -- forgot about Lynn winning those games
                  I guess when it comes to the Spanii - I always think of the worst possible outcome until it happens
                  I would just be happy if Dean assigned JohnBoy to being VP of Anime Football Release Schedule and hire a competent GM from certain organizations that have shown a structure in roster building and experienced head coach

Enough of these cheap coordinators who are not head coaches

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
                      Alex Spanos bought 60% of the franchise in 1984.

Don Coryell 1978-1986. Inherited. Probably the best Head Coach we ever had, unless you like Sid Gillman.

Al Saunders 1986-1988 First and Only Head Coaching job.

Dan Henning 1989-1991 went 22-41 as the Head Coach of the Falcons for 4 years... 3 years later he takes over the Bolts and goes 16-32...worse than in Atlanta. Never a HC in the NFL again.

Bobby Ross 1992-1996 1st NFL HC job, came from Georgia Tech where he had won a National Title. Lasts 3.5 years as HC of the Lions after the Chargers.

Kevin Gilbride 1997-1998 1st and only NFL HC job. went 6-16 and was fired 6 games into second season. Never a HC in the NFL again.

June Jones 1998 Interim...went 3-7. Became a college HC.

Mike Riley 1999-2001 1st time NFL HC. Never an NFL HC again... came from college. Went back to college and failed pretty much everywhere he went.

Marty Schottenheimer 2002-2006 Brought in an established NFL Head Coach, with 16 years HC experience. Was cheap because Washington was still paying him.

Norv Turner 2007-2012 Norv was brought in, I think mostly as an "F You" to Marty. He had 9 previous seasons as an NFL HC. Never a HC again, but was an OC for several teams.

Mike McCoy 2013-2016 1st and only HC job. Was brought in after running the Broncos offense, was fired by the Broncos and Cardinals as OC after he left the Chargers.

Anthony Lynn 2017-2020 1st and only HC job. He is now a running backs coach with the 49ers...which is the position he started the year in with the Bills, the year before the Chargers hired them.

Brandon Staley 2021- present 1st and only HC job. Turned a 1 year run as a DC of the Rams into a HC gig.

So what do with this list?
                      Well... we know to expect someone cheap... they will most likely be a first time head coach. (and probably last time)

We had as much success as we've ever had under these owners by hiring established coaches. (think what you want about Norv, we went to the AFC Championship game under him)

McCoy and Staley were both Flash in the pans. Lynn... I do not understand that hiring at all...he was not qualified to be a HC. The Lions hired him to be the OC after he left here, and they fired him in the first season, after they stripped him of playcalling duties.

Give me someone with some time as a Coordinator. Or, if you look to college...look to someone who built a program (like Bobby Ross did).

We need an experienced hand. Like I'm no Doug Pederson fan... (from the Eagles, coaches the Jags)...but look at what he's doing with the Jags. Shoot, look at what Sean Payton has done with the Broncos. Insane.

I'm not saying it has to be an experienced NFL Head Coach... it could be a coordinator. Just not a "flash in the pan' Coordinator. Someone who's done it a while.

I don't know gang, all I know is this ownership group is cheap, they are known for being cheap, and they hire unproven people...and they make BAD selections, MOST of the time.

(And Telesco needs to go too. Sorry man. You have had a ton of misses, and you can't draft an Offensive Lineman to save your ass)
                      We need either someone who had previous HC experience and had success, or a coordinator that has a lot of experience and connections. My money is still on the former so Harbaugh or Quinn would be my choice.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

We need either someone who had previous HC experience and had success, or a coordinator that has a lot of experience and connections. My money is still on the former so Harbaugh or Quinn would be my choice.
                        Exactly, enough with these first times who still need training wheels

harbaugh or quinn

Comment

Working...
                        X