Both Cumberland & Clark, done for the season...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fred View Post
    And Clark was a second string guard. That has to hurt.
    But he was doing ok there. Now we have Wat
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
      But he was doing ok there. Now we have Wat
      Wat?
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

Cumberland had been a pleasant suprise. I think he may have been in wrong system with Jets. I guess we can't miss what we only had in preseason but he would have been a good addition this year. Wish him the best in his recovery

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

And Clark was a second string guard. That has to hurt.
          everything I have read so far says Clark was "a candidate for the PS". That's not 2nd string- it's taking a flyer on a guy with a 7th round pick and not caring if he gets stolen off your PS. Teurk will be a back up OG while Slauson is the starting OC. Pretty sure Hairston plays 4 positions on the OL. Wat? may be done.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
            everything I have read so far says Clark was "a candidate for the PS". That's not 2nd string- it's taking a flyer on a guy with a 7th round pick and not caring if he gets stolen off your PS. Teurk will be a back up OG while Slauson is the starting OC. Pretty sure Hairston plays 4 positions on the OL. Wat? may be done.
            "Clark had been working with the second unit at both guard positions, an area of focus for San Diego, which had injury concerns along the offensive line last season."

Chargers tight end Jeff Cumberland tore his left Achilles tendon in Friday's preseason game against the Cardinals and is out for the season. It's the second major Achilles injury of his career.
            For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

"Clark had been working with the second unit at both guard positions, an area of focus for San Diego, which had injury concerns along the offensive line last season."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...chilles-tendon
              right, been working there. In Practice and TC when we have 90 guys on the roster. When they say he was a candidate for PS, I don't expect to see him on the roster when they cut down to 53 and only carry 7-9 OLs.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                Gates and Henry both block like matadors, so yeah, Cumberland is a significant loss.
                I can't say that I have watched Henry all that much, but from the little I have seen and what I have heard, he will be a decent blocker.

Comment

• pigskin
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Southern Oregon
                  • Send PM

A good way to predict who will be on the starting roster is by looking at the starting punt team. The punting team is one of the hardest units to put together and "gel". If a player is on the starting punt team in preseason, there is a very good chance he will be on the opening day roster. I don't remember seeing Clark on the punt team.

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by pigskin View Post
                    A good way to predict who will be on the starting roster is by looking at the starting punt team. The punting team is one of the hardest units to put together and "gel". If a player is on the starting punt team in preseason, there is a very good chance he will be on the opening day roster. I don't remember seeing Clark on the punt team.
                    He was the blur gunning up the sideline.....
                    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

As much as I hate lousy preseason play, protecting the starters and losing the backups is the way to go.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Asela
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2014
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                        Cumberland had been a pleasant suprise. I think he may have been in wrong system with Jets. I guess we can't miss what we only had in preseason but he would have been a good addition this year. Wish him the best in his recovery
                        I was hoping for a pleasant surprise as well.

Watching both Cumberland and Hunter Henry in practice, I came away feeling more impressed with Cumberland. Both had been used in H-Back formations, although neither looked particularly stellar blocking on the move. In the limited time I saw Cumberland, he seemed just smoother in everything he did, except catching. Decent in-line blocking on the occasions I noticed him. He made a couple very nice catches, and ran very smooth if he was hit in stride. A fast big man. He even had a little wiggle pressing downfield against a defender. Main problem for Cumberland seemed to be inconsistent hands. I kept thinking, this guy should be with the juggs machine for 4 hours a day. I kept thinking worse to worse, as a blocking TE in 2 TE sets, with Cumberland's speed, he could push downfield and loosen up coverage (as a decoy). The Chargers in preseason seemed to be pushing Cumberland as a receiving option too, he got a fair amount of passing attention.

Because I probably have huge expectations for Henry, he was both smaller than I expected him to be and does not seem the smoothest with the ball in his hands. Did not look like there was a lot of run after the catch. His vacuum cleaner perception that he catches everything, did not seem like that in practice. I saw a couple of drops, and labored catches going to the ground. I hope it's just a case of him thinking too much and he will settle down in time.

Oddly, Henry looked better in preseason action than the practices where I noticed him and Cumberland looked better in practices than the preseason games. So who knows. I don't know how effective Henry is going to be as a H-Back lead blocker at this rate.

On the radio, I don't remember who said it, but Cumberland was mentioned twice, once in particular was how he was surprisingly fast for his size. Shame he is out for the season
                        Last edited by Asela; 08-22-2016, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Cumberland out does that open the door for two full backs making the roster in Watt and Swain? Or does one of the next up TE Asante Cleveland make the roster.

Clark out who does that open the door for?

Comment

Working...
                          X