• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

I can see you guys are going to have with with my McBro this season!

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Yeah he looks great but i just watched a recent video of him and he does look like he put the weight back on. Fat as fuck.

Made me LOL.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Is this guy Fonoti reincarnate?

Fairly effective when healthy and in shape? But rarely seems to happen?
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Foxbatkllr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
          Is this guy Fonoti reincarnate?

Fairly effective when healthy and in shape? But rarely seems to happen?
          Not really. Fonoti lacked character/motivation. I have no doubts about DJ's motivation or character. That guy loves the game and will do whatever it takes to get better.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Fonoti had one really good year where we all drooled over him, only to free fall later. Fluker has been consistently inconsistent - sometimes good in his rookie year but kinda slightly regressing (a lot due to injuries) every year.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Spencer Pulley a quick study for Chargers
              Undrafted rookie center-guard continues track to 53-man roster
              Mugshot of Michael Gehlken
              By Michael Gehlken | 8:30 p.m. Aug. 23, 2016

The Chargers practiced Tuesday without right guard D.J. Fluker, a veteran of three-plus NFL years who has played more than 3,000 offensive snaps across multiple positions in 43 regular-season and two postseason games.

His replacement does not have his experience.

It just seems like it sometimes.

Undrafted rookie Spencer Pulley worked at first-team right guard during Tuesday’s practice. That should come as a surprise to no one, given how the versatile lineman from Vanderbilt has adapted in recent months. Meanwhile, Fluker is sidelined by an apparent foot injury he sustained Monday.

On Tuesday, little was disclosed about Fluker’s status.

What was disclosed, however, evoked optimism.

The 2013 first-round pick underwent an MRI on Monday, the results of which were negative, coach Mike McCoy said. That’s a positive. Likewise, quarterback Philip Rivers characterized himself as never having been “too concerned” over his teammate’s status.

As for Fluker, he said that he wasn’t permitted to discuss his injury or, for that matter, much of anything else until receiving medical clearance to resume play.

“Taking it day by day,” Fluker said. “We’ll see how it goes.”

While all that suggests the fourth-year veteran will return sooner rather than later, for however long he is sidelined, the Chargers are confident in his replacement.

Pulley is a rookie, yes.

But not a typical one.

“Mentally, he’s like a three- or four-year vet,” center Matt Slauson said. “He truly approaches this (game) the right way, the way he studies it. He puts in the extra work. He plays like a vet. You don’t see that a lot, the way he sees the game, the way he knows the offense. … If he’s ever called on to play, he doesn’t want to be the weak leak. He wants to be ready to roll with all of us.”

On Tuesday, he rolled.

Be it with his communication or grasp of concepts, Pulley demonstrated fluency in the offense. His experience at Vanderbilt helped prepare him for such reps, as he did a bit of everything after arriving on campus as a tackle recruit from Memphis.

Pulley picked up guard and then center.

Over the course of his career, he made 25 straight starts at right guard between 2013 and 2014 and started all 12 games at center in 2015. He often was a stabilizing presence, as Vanderbilt cycled through quarterbacks.

With the Chargers, Pulley has played all three interior positions.

The team drafted two offensive linemen in April — third-round center Max Tuerk and seventh-round guard Donavon Clark. Even before the latter suffered a season-ending knee injury last week, it was a credit to Pulley how relatively smooth his transition had come.

“You really like the way he’s picked up the system,” coach Mike McCoy said. “Whether it’s a walk-through or live setting, he’s playing fast. And that’s the big thing, especially at center, making a lot of the calls and directing things. It’s not too big for him, and that was (apparent) from the early practices. He was right more often than not at what he was doing. …

“These next couple weeks will be great for him to get some snaps.”

Pulley, 23, did not expect to be drafted.

He had an accurate feel for the process, not having been invited to the NFL Scouting Combine. Some seniors were invited to the Senior Bowl, the hallmark all-star showcase game at which prospects are evaluated. Pulley went to the Tropic Bowl, a first-time showcase game in Miami.

The NFL, though, is about taking advantage of opportunities.

Pulley did at that game and then his pro day. Now, he is in San Diego.

He is expected to join a list of players who entered the NFL as undrafted Chargers rookies. Current players include tight end Antonio Gates, running back Branden Oliver, wide receiver Tyrell Williams, inside linebacker Nick Dzubnar and safeties Jahleel Addae and Adrian Phillips.

“You hear stories all around the league,” Pulley said. “I just thought, just because you’re an undrafted free agent doesn’t mean you can’t play. It’s not like they’re going to shut you out. For me, it was, ‘I’m going to keep doing what I’ve been doing my whole life, keep playing every play.’”

“I’m not thinking about what level I’m at or where I am. I just think, ‘I’m going to play football because I love playing.’”
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

“These next couple weeks will be great for him to get some snaps.”
                Is that a clue about how long Fluker will be out?
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                  Is that a clue about how long Fluker will be out?
                  I doubt it. Pulley will be with the ones deep into this week's game, and then getting a lot of reps either with the ones or twos next week when starters hardly play.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Sigh. McCoy doesn't lie - he is so shrewd that even in the preseason he won't tip his hand. #leavemikeyalone
                    Fortunately oneinchpenis isn't here to run this into the ground. But there's time left.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

If you're a Guard named Pulley, I'd guess you had better be able to pull.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                        Fonoti had one really good year where we all drooled over him, only to free fall later. Fluker has been consistently inconsistent - sometimes good in his rookie year but kinda slightly regressing (a lot due to injuries) every year.
                        Injuries have made a real analysis kind of difficult. So have his position switches (RT, LT, RG) and the overall lack of cohesion along the line. But he was pretty much a beast his rookie year and his drive and commitment to winning aren't in question.

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                          Injuries have made a real analysis kind of difficult. So have his position switches (RT, LT, RG) and the overall lack of cohesion along the line. But he was pretty much a beast his rookie year and his drive and commitment to winning aren't in question.
                          True, but four years in and pretty much every year has been marred with injuries, much like his draft mate Te'o - consistently inconsistent. I'd like to see both of them break through this year (and in my mind if they stay healthy they will) and make TT's 2013 draft have the impact we all hoped it would.

Comment

Working...
                          X