• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by B.V.W.S.B.GM View Post
    But what would we know about journalism, Kyle?
    Enough to know that if you violated something said to you in confidence, it would be the last time ever said anything to you in confidence.

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Enough to know that if you violated something said to you in confidence, it would be the last time ever said anything to you in confidence.
      So you're discounting what 420 said about finding another source? Isn't that journalism 101? But like you, I'm no journalist so what do I know?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
        So you're discounting what 420 said about finding another source? Isn't that journalism 101? But like you, I'm no journalist so what do I know?
        Journalism 101 is Dr. Spevak at SDSU crumpling up your work, screaming F, and making you go fix it.

But what would I know about Journalism 101?

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Isn't following the money the clearest and most direct path to what eventually corrupted journalistic integrity? First it was cable with it's non-stop news, then entertainment news shows, and then the internet. Is that right?
          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Fred View Post
            Isn't following the money the clearest and most direct path to what eventually corrupted journalistic integrity? First it was cable with it's non-stop news, then entertainment news shows, and then the internet. Is that right?
            Yep. Money. But it is not anything new. Journalism has been corrupt, off and on, since people started reading.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Yep. Money. But it is not anything new. Journalism has been corrupt, off and on, since people started reading.

Seemed like there was more integrity in journalism - in the U.S. - during the 1960's and 1970's especially. Is that right?

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                I pretty much discount everything 420 says, so what's new? And you are right, I work at a software company, not as a journalist.

But there is a mighty bold assumptions here - how do you know he didn't find another source that was willing to speak on the record and nobody wanted to? I did ask a family member who is a journalist about it and he said he agreed with 420 about checking with another source, BUT a beat writer's career would be over if he violated a confidence so he likely wouldn't have done anything with something not very consequential like that. But what does he know as a practicing journalist?

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Also seems to be related to numbers of news sources. If they are in great numbers then the quality of journalism can be sensationalized to gain a foothold. Yes?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Fred View Post
                    Seemed like there was more integrity in journalism - in the U.S. - during the 1960's and 1970's especially. Is that right?
                    That one I would not know.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

That one I would not know.
                      Sorry BVWSBGM, I was an aspiring Journalist when I joined the Army in 1982. It was my M.O.S. but I never completed the course though. So now I ask inane generalized questions in hijacking a thread about one of our sportswriters. Sorry!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        I pretty much discount everything 420 says, so what's new? And you are right, I work at a software company, not as a journalist.

But there is a mighty bold assumptions here - how do you know he didn't find another source that was willing to speak on the record and nobody wanted to? I did ask a family member who is a journalist about it and he said he agreed with 420 about checking with another source, BUT a beat writer's career would be over if he violated a confidence so he likely wouldn't have done anything with something not very consequential like that. But what does he know as a practicing journalist?
                        How was that not a news worthy story for a Chargers beat writer? What else was going on that day? Week?

Would your friend have not printed a story because a source said not to?

The only reasons I held back news stories were because I was waiting on a bigger story that my current story would otherwise ruin and also because it was related to undercover police work.

But because some rich dude told me not to? Never. And I was nothing extraordinary. This was true of any journalist I ever worked with.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

How was that not a news worthy story for a Chargers beat writer? What else was going on that day? Week?

Would your friend have not printed a story because a source said not to?

The only reasons I held back news stories were because I was waiting on a bigger story that my current story would otherwise ruin and also because it was related to undercover police work.

But because some rich dude told me not to? Never. And I was nothing extraordinary. This was true of any journalist I ever worked with.
                          I guess what I was trying to get at before was that having many news sources available can pressure a journalist into being a bit of a kiss-ass. Because it won't take much for your coveted news target (Chargers) to quit giving you information and they instead go to another source.

Comment

Working...
                          X