• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    An article about Bosa, complete with a lead picture of four 'Chargers'. Three of whom are no longer on the team. Would that kind of mistake be made with, say, the Patriots? Or Steelers? WTF? What's sad is that I bet few would notice.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/joey-bosa-holdout-ends-but-could-the-damage-linger-for-the-team/?ref=yfp

Link not working...here's a link to the picture. If this doesn't work, the post will be deleted. LOL!

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wor...9134.jpg?w=211
    Harrison's comment is ridiculous. Maybe he and Florio ought to go back and look at the recent history of holdouts. I wouldn't say it's always 'average' franchises. And while we're at it, yes, we're a .500 franchise long-term. But Rodney never had much perspective, did he?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
      It didn't. Try to keep up.
      ?

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by B.V.W.S.B.GM View Post
        ?
        Wat
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          He was two gapping at DE in ota's according to sirus xm maybe he will get some base defence snaps...
          I am guessing they didn't actually watch OTA's because we are not a 2 gap D. Even Wade's version, which is more conventional that ours (more like a classic 34 D), doesn't ask the strong side DE to line up and control his man. Wade almost always lines up the DE outside the OT, often way outside to be the contain guy on the end of the line.

As far as recent history, according to Charlie Casserly, the offset thing was ridiculous, as only 2 teams really give offsets (Jags and I can't remember who the other was, but definitely not us).

As far as how much Bosa will get used, these guys are in way better football shape than he is. Not that he is coming in out of shape or anything, but the problem holdouts always had was being thrown in and getting hurt right away because everyone else had been hitting for weeks, and they hadn't. If we are smart, he plays fairly little.

Again, I am not sure what "starting" means. Our base D will be on the field less than 50% of the time, and that percentage will drop as the season goes on. If he plays on the pass rush line (situationally), he will get more playing time not less. But there is no way he can be in all out packages given the amount of time he was out.

Rookie DL tend not to be that sharp anyway. Most of them are sloppy in their technique and need to sharpen the mental side of their game. What technique to use vs what block, how to read the plays developing, read blockers body language.

The best rookies come on in the 2nd half of their rookie seasons. Now that he is in, he is behind, but I would still expect him to be on that kind of timeline, maybe a bit later since he has missed 2-3 months worth of practices (2 per day).

The interesting part will be how to use him. At OSU last year, he was mostly an edge player, lining up as a 7 technique DE, and teams just stayed away from him for the most part. Then OSU started to move him around more, and he made a lot more plays down the stretch. He also was fairly productive as more of a wide 5 technique when OSU spent a lot more time in their 3-3 look his freshman and sophomore years, even lining up at DT some.

We really need more inside push from our pass rush. I expect we will line him up closer to the edge than a lot of DT do, but I think we will probably still have Attaochu or Ingram outside of him a lot. Bosa is not a speed guy. He uses his hands well for a college DE and plays with leverage to get under guys hands/pads. Not that he won't ever line up wide, but he gives us a lot of options to work with the OLB on one side.

The other formation I have always liked is when both pass rushing OLB line up on the same side. Ingram can line up inside Attaochu , with Bosa lining up wide on the other side, and Liuget up the middle (probably over the C).

The good thing is I don't think many NFL teams spend a lot of time working on specifics like that during TC. Sure, they work on the technique and may have some drill work with the players working together, but TC is about working fundamentals and getting everyone on the same page. These other tactical moves are things saved for the week to week game plan installs, so Bosa shouldn't be too far behind since they haven't done much of that.
          Last edited by Steve; 08-30-2016, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Guessing we will rotate him in for Philon on some passing downs to get him snaps vs KC.
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

I hope they throw him in this week. Shouldnt be any real harm and he needs to see where he is at missing camp for a month plus.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                Guessing we will rotate him in for Philon on some passing downs to get him snaps vs KC.
                My guess as well Hoarse.
                Put him in position where he doesn't really need to think. Just attack the QB.
                I imagine he'll get 5 to 10 plays( that is , of course, he has remained in good physical fitness during his hold out.Obviously not in football shape but that only comes when he actually plays)

Comment

• WindsorUK
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Windsor, U.K.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I am guessing they didn't actually watch OTA's because we are not a 2 gap D. Even Wade's version, which is more conventional that ours (more like a classic 34 D), doesn't ask the strong side DE to line up and control his man. Wade almost always lines up the DE outside the OT, often way outside to be the contain guy on the end of the line.

As far as recent history, according to Charlie Casserly, the offset thing was ridiculous, as only 2 teams really give offsets (Jags and I can't remember who the other was, but definitely not us).

As far as how much Bosa will get used, these guys are in way better football shape than he is. Not that he is coming in out of shape or anything, but the problem holdouts always had was being thrown in and getting hurt right away because everyone else had been hitting for weeks, and they hadn't. If we are smart, he plays fairly little.

Again, I am not sure what "starting" means. Our base D will be on the field less than 50% of the time, and that percentage will drop as the season goes on. If he plays on the pass rush line (situationally), he will get more playing time not less. But there is no way he can be in all out packages given the amount of time he was out.

Rookie DL tend not to be that sharp anyway. Most of them are sloppy in their technique and need to sharpen the mental side of their game. What technique to use vs what block, how to read the plays developing, read blockers body language.

The best rookies come on in the 2nd half of their rookie seasons. Now that he is in, he is behind, but I would still expect him to be on that kind of timeline, maybe a bit later since he has missed 2-3 months worth of practices (2 per day).

The interesting part will be how to use him. At OSU last year, he was mostly an edge player, lining up as a 7 technique DE, and teams just stayed away from him for the most part. Then OSU started to move him around more, and he made a lot more plays down the stretch. He also was fairly productive as more of a wide 5 technique when OSU spent a lot more time in their 3-3 look his freshman and sophomore years, even lining up at DT some.

We really need more inside push from our pass rush. I expect we will line him up closer to the edge than a lot of DT do, but I think we will probably still have Attaochu or Ingram outside of him a lot. Bosa is not a speed guy. He uses his hands well for a college DE and plays with leverage to get under guys hands/pads. Not that he won't ever line up wide, but he gives us a lot of options to work with the OLB on one side.

The other formation I have always liked is when both pass rushing OLB line up on the same side. Ingram can line up inside Attaochu , with Bosa lining up wide on the other side, and Liuget up the middle (probably over the C).

The good thing is I don't think many NFL teams spend a lot of time working on specifics like that during TC. Sure, they work on the technique and may have some drill work with the players working together, but TC is about working fundamentals and getting everyone on the same page. These other tactical moves are things saved for the week to week game plan installs, so Bosa shouldn't be too far behind since they haven't done much of that.
                  Or at least someone who will occupy two blockers, which allows one of the edge guys an opening.

Comment

• Highboltage
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                    Or at least someone who will occupy two blockers, which allows one of the edge guys an opening.
                    Only two blockers? He's on the right side.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Sun Valley, ID
                      • Send PM

It's anyone's guess what he will do in the NFL, but the first time I ever watched him play was in the national championship game against Oregon and he looked like a wrecking ball against their offense. We'll see if his game translates to the next level. I'm just glad he's in now.

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                        THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                        Generous Donor
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

As Bill Polian said - 'garden variety' old-school style holdout. Glad its done...watched his pressr, hope he never has to give another one...zzzzZZZZ zzzzZZZ zzzZZZZ
                        NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                          With the way Attaochu lets himself get pushed by the pocket, we really need to knock the QB off his mark, so that Attaochu can be in the action. If Bosa just occupies two blockers, then the QB stays in place, and can step into his passes.

Liuget is the other guy who needs to have a good season. His contract seems large, but he signed a deal similar to Butler. We aren't tied to it after this year. We can dump him if he has another bad season, and with Philon looking good, Liuget might need a very good season. I still think he has the potential to be nearly as disruptive as Aaron Donald, but Donald is a high motor guy, and Liuget is a low motor (barely idling type of guy). But in the end, if Liuget shows the quickness and closing burst he has flashed, along with the edge crew, we can have a very good DL this season.

I really like the depth with Squares and Philon, the DL is not looking too bad. THe combination of Squares and Mebane gives us one full time DT/NT in both the base D and nickle fronts, while Philon and Liuget can both be the 3 technique penetrating DT types. So, now it is just up to Attaochu and Ingram to try and keep Bosa off the field, and Bosa to play well enough to get a bunch of reps on the edge and sliding inside on obvious passing downs.

Comment

Working...
                          X