• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuiteFrankly
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2022
    • Send PM

Bill Belichick

Given the recent rumors, I thought this might be a fun topic for discussion. Do you think that most of his success was due to Tom Brady? Or has he just reached some sort of burn-out point where he is not into the job anymore? And last...would you want him for the LA Chargers?

IMO...Initially I have always felt that all the success in NE could not be just because of Tom Brady. But then Tom goes to Tampa...and wins a Superbowl his first year...and the Pats have been sliding since....so...I don't know....could the QB make that much difference? What would happen if KC lost Mahomes, or Cincy Burroughs...or any of the other teams with a premier QB...

In my mind there is no doubt I would welcome him to the Chargers for obvious reasons. I think he would be the hottest coaching commodity in the NFL. But who knows...if NE does let him go...who is to say if he even wants to coach anymore...or maybe take a break or maybe even retire.

I NEVER thought NE would even consider letting the guy go.
  • BigBad
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

The days of defensive head coaches are OVER.....

Belichick, Tomlin, etc....no thanks

The entire point of the next coach is to maximize the talent of QB1 and to just have an AVERAGE defense. If you can get better than that on defense, fine, but it isn't necessary.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

The entire point of the next coach is to maximize the talent of QB1 and to just have an AVERAGE defense. If you can get better than that on defense, fine, but it isn't necessary.
      Yeah, but he is a pretty good coach though. I mean with Brady as QB. I think with Herbert as coach the offense would get better, the defense would get better, player personnel, everything

I am not down on Hoodie as a coach. And who is to say that a coach like Hoodie cannot hire an OC that would maximize the talent at the QB and offense.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly View Post
        Given the recent rumors, I thought this might be a fun topic for discussion. Do you think that most of his success was due to Tom Brady? Or has he just reached some sort of burn-out point where he is not into the job anymore? And last...would you want him for the LA Chargers?

IMO...Initially I have always felt that all the success in NE could not be just because of Tom Brady. But then Tom goes to Tampa...and wins a Superbowl his first year...and the Pats have been sliding since....so...I don't know....could the QB make that much difference? What would happen if KC lost Mahomes, or Cincy Burroughs...or any of the other teams with a premier QB...

In my mind there is no doubt I would welcome him to the Chargers for obvious reasons. I think he would be the hottest coaching commodity in the NFL. But who knows...if NE does let him go...who is to say if he even wants to coach anymore...or maybe take a break or maybe even retire.

I NEVER thought NE would even consider letting the guy go.
        If not Harbaugh, Hoodie all day every day
        Frank Smith? Ben Johnson? Bobby Slowik? Ejiro Evero? GTFO with those candidates - Hoodie would be a good hire

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

When Brady left the Patriots, he had the incredible luck to go to one of the most talented teams in the league with a good HC that was just missing a competent QB and won a SB. He is the GOAT at the QB position.

Belichick's downfall in NE is Belichick the GM and especially for not finding an even average QB since Brady left. His choices at OC also backfired. He still has that defense playing at an elite level even with a ton of injuries.

If he came here, he'd have his QB, the D would be instantly better and we'd be a contender. It has been reported many times that he is obsessed with breaking Shula's all time win record so I do not expect him to retire if he finds the right spot. The Chargers would be the perfect spot. Now whether Spanos would actually hire him is a giant question mark and would he require to also be the GM is another question. The other would be will the Pats let him out of his contract or make a team trade draft picks to get him.

Comment

• BigBad
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
            And who is to say that a coach like Hoodie cannot hire an OC that would maximize the talent at the QB and offense.
            Who has he hired outside of Josh McDaniels on the offensive side that did anything?

If the Chargers hire a 70 year old they just prove once again that they are not serious about winning.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

If the Chargers hire a 70 year old they just prove once again that they are not serious about winning.
              Don't agree with this at all.

Comment

• BigBad
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Don't agree with this at all.
                Can you name any coach in history who won a Super Bowl for two different teams?

Hint the answer is ZERO.

But a guy who will be 72 when next year starts will be the first after the Chargers fix the roster...sure

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Agree with this mostly...but Belicheck would bring more than just expertise on one side of the ball...he would change everything from discipline, training, attitude, culture, effeciency, accountability...I would have no problem with Belicheck.

Belicheck paved the way for Brady's success, and to Brady's credit, he worked hard and took full advantage of it...they are both goats...but Brady went to a stacked Bucs team that had a very good coach in his own right, Bruce Arians...Bradys pedigree lifted up that team to play to their full potential...he himself didnt play extraordinary...

Belicheck was instrumental in making that team contenders, year in and year out, for 20 freaking years of late draft picks, and players he made into stars leaving for big paydays...

Im a Harbaugh guy...who knows if thats even viable...but Belicheck is my #2. Just my gut, but I think Herbo would love to play for him...and would love the no nonsense work environment and accountability he would bring to the whole team. No more slaphappy, fiddlefarting around...you wanna win, get to work...more to life than just football? Theres the door...
                  The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    When Brady left the Patriots, he had the incredible luck to go to one of the most talented teams in the league with a good HC that was just missing a competent QB and won a SB. He is the GOAT at the QB position.

Belichick's downfall in NE is Belichick the GM and especially for not finding an even average QB since Brady left. His choices at OC also backfired. He still has that defense playing at an elite level even with a ton of injuries.

If he came here, he'd have his QB, the D would be instantly better and we'd be a contender. It has been reported many times that he is obsessed with breaking Shula's all time win record so I do not expect him to retire if he finds the right spot. The Chargers would be the perfect spot. Now whether Spanos would actually hire him is a giant question mark and would he require to also be the GM is another question. The other would be will the Pats let him out of his contract or make a team trade draft picks to get him.
                    Said it better than me...

Im all about the offense in all decisions this offseason...but Belicheck would be the exception, since he is considered a defensive guru...
                    The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• BigBad
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Defensive head coaches NEVER make it easy on the QB. The QB's talent for the Chargers and Bills is the only reason it BARELY works.

Staley - Herbert has regressed
                      McDermott - makes Josh Allen's life WAY TOO HARD. Similar to what Herbert deals with except he has a home run threat at WR(diggs) but its always "Save us Josh"

The following have meh QBs but again also make it WAY TOO HARD FOR THEM:

Saleh and Belichick you can argue have DESTROYED their QBs.
                      Tomlin's offense is a FN joke so they fired the OC.

Vrabel - To be determined with WIll Levis.

The crazy thing to me is the Bills and Chargers are investing HALF A BILLION DOLLARS in their QBs and have defensive head coaches. WTF

Comment

• Budsman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Belicheck is more than a defensive Guru, he’s a proven leader. He would change the culture of this team and provide much needed leadership and accountability.

He needs to bring in his guys and let Herbert and the offensive coach (McDaniel probably, he’s a much better coordinator than a HC) create an offense that plays to his strength.

Comment

Working...
                        X