• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Your limiting the choices to RT is a lot like limiting your receiver group to only include Y receivers: its senseless.

Bahktari and Peters wouldn't have cut it at RT?
    Really? All I've been reading all draft season from the "we have to take a weapon at #5 crowd" is how difficult it would be for Joe Alt to switch to right tackle, yet you're now saying it's so simple. Interesting.

Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent in 2004. David Bakhtiari was drafted in the fourth round in 2013. Jordan Mailata, who's never made All-Pro or a Pro Bowl, was a seventh-round pick in 2018. You didn't provide a name for the Seattle Seahawks' offensive tackle, so I don't know who you're talking about. That's four offensive tackles you have come up with, one of whom hasn't ever been named All-Pro, and a nameless player I will venture hasn't, either.

I listed 15 receivers drafted after the first round who were named All-Pro in the last ten years. I also listed Keenan Allen, a third-round pick who has made six Pro Bowls. I'm not going to research the number of All-Pro receivers who were picked after the first round or went undrafted since 2004 (when Jason Peters went undrafted), but I'm confident it's much higher than offensive tackles. Our very own undrafted free agent, Wes Welker, was the same year as Peters.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post
      Team Odunze here.

Draft a proper RT later or next year.
      I am good with this idea. I am even good with RT at 5
      just as long as he is the best player on the draft board that isn't a QB

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Money Smith said Harbaugh wants players who are involved in every play. Is why he harps on the OL so much. Maybe he is reading too much into it, but if he is correct, the first pick should be either OL or Bowers. OL fits the mantra. Bowers is involved every play as either a receiver or as part of the OL.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Lane Johnson started at left and right tackle in college.

I listed all of the All-Pro right tackles over the last ten years. There have been eight of them in total. Five of them are first-round picks. That is not nit-picking. That is stating a fact.

Feel free to tell me who the other great right tackles are in the NFL. How many of them drafted after the first round are of the same caliber at their position as Amon-Ra St. Brown, Stefon Diggs, Tyreek Hill, Keenan Allen, Cooper Kupp, etc.?
          Sorry but why do all good RTs have to be All Pros? Can you have a good RT that is not an All Pro and has not been taken in RD1? Or you have to
          take a RT in RD1 and they have to be All Pros in order to be considered good?

What exactly is your argument? I'm saying this year there are OTs that won't be taken in RD1 that will become good starters in the NFL.
          Where did I say we'd can take a RT in RD2 and they will be an All Pro?

We had at one time Linsey, Slayer and Zion. Two first rounders, two pro bowlers and the O line still had issues. So show me that you need
          All Pros in all 5 positions to have good O line.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

They did a 25 yr sample so it is fair. The # of C is irrelevant really as the figures are shown as a % so you are obfuscating and just dont like the results perhaps. Maybe there are lots of reasons but the bust rate for WR was still among the highest. They could bust w us for the same reasons you cite. The verdict is still out on QJ. MW was not a bust but missed a lot of time for a top 10 pick including 13 games last year.

I am not too convicted either way and would be quite happy w one of the top WRs actually but just reporting the facts. OT is the safer play.
            If you draft one C in RD1 and he doesn't bust the bust factor is 0. So it statistically does make a difference on how many Cs were taken in RD1.
            There is another factor to this. Centers rarely go in the 1st round because it is not a premium position. So when they do go in RD1 they are
            pretty damn good. WR on the other hand is a premium skill position which relies on the QB and other factors. So it should be obvious that more
            are going to bust. Teams are more likely to take a chance on a WR in RD1 because they can change a game. QBs same thing.

Given all that OT is a safer bet as they do not rely on a QB to do their job. Safe doesn't mean it's the right choice. You'd have to access the
            value and impact a player has. Safe does not necessarily win championships.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              Money Smith said Harbaugh wants players who are involved in every play. Is why he harps on the OL so much. Maybe he is reading too much into it, but if he is correct, the first pick should be either OL or Bowers. OL fits the mantra. Bowers is involved every play as either a receiver or as part of the OL.

TG
              Agree, but at 5....Latham? I hope they trade down whether or not it is for Latham or Bowers and get some needed extra picks.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Really? All I've been reading all draft season from the "we have to take a weapon at #5 crowd" is how difficult it would be for Joe Alt to switch to right tackle, yet you're now saying it's so simple. Interesting.

Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent in 2004. David Bakhtiari was drafted in the fourth round in 2013. Jordan Mailata, who's never made All-Pro or a Pro Bowl, was a seventh-round pick in 2018. You didn't provide a name for the Seattle Seahawks' offensive tackle, so I don't know who you're talking about. That's four offensive tackles you have come up with, one of whom hasn't ever been named All-Pro, and a nameless player I will venture hasn't, either.

I listed 15 receivers drafted after the first round who were named All-Pro in the last ten years. I also listed Keenan Allen, a third-round pick who has made six Pro Bowls. I'm not going to research the number of All-Pro receivers who were picked after the first round or went undrafted since 2004 (when Jason Peters went undrafted), but I'm confident it's much higher than offensive tackles. Our very own undrafted free agent, Wes Welker, was the same year as Peters.
                Nobody said that. It turns out that the best players (non QBs) in this draft are WRs. That's the way they are rated by most boards that we have access to. Are you going to argue about that as well? The only RT that grades that high @5 is Alt. So if we stay @5 the pick should be one of the WRs or Alt. I don't know where all this Latham talk @5 is coming from. He's probably the 4th or 5th best OT in this draft and he may end up being a better fit at OG.

Of course we do not know the Chargers big board. And obviously there can be a big difference between what the media big boards look like and
                what our GM thinks.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kauai
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                  https://www.chargers.com/photos/off-...4-43c0c281c933

Great pics of new coaches working with the Chargers.
                  sonorajim i moved this thread into our main charger news and camps thread. Aloha

Comment

• Chargers8491
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree, but at 5....Latham? I hope they trade down whether or not it is for Latham or Bowers and get some needed extra picks.
                    Latham would be a disappointing pick. I'm just not seeing it at #5.
                    1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                    2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                    2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                    3a- #66 Puni OT
                    3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                    4a- #105 Rice WR
                    4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                    5- #140 Green CB
                    6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Chargers8491
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                      https://www.chargers.com/photos/off-...4-43c0c281c933

Great pics of new coaches working with the Chargers.
                      Why is Harbaugh and the coaching staff spending so much time with Herbert when they are trading him? Let the Vikings work with him...lol
                      1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                      2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                      2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                      3a- #66 Puni OT
                      3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                      4a- #105 Rice WR
                      4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                      5- #140 Green CB
                      6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Jack Burton
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

Why is Harbaugh and the coaching staff spending so much time with Herbert when they are trading him? Let the Vikings work with him...lol
                        If the Chargers were trading or entertaining trading Herbert you would have never seen him set foot on the Chargers property. He never would have never touched a weight or a football.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Oh look. James is likely wearing green dot
                          roquan smith wears it in Baltimore.
                          james is our RS.
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe