• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

But what if you improve the OL but also find a draft pick that is faster, more elusive, better pure running back for like $2m as opposed to the $5+ Ekeler probably gets
    At what price? Giving up a C or DT in the 2nd to get a better RB?

And then we need two RBs. So you have to omit drafting another position of need later. Can we afford to draft 2 RBs? Best to keep Ekeler and draft a RB in the 3rd where some less highly rated, less capable RBs are. And we have all seen what a 3rd or 4th round RB brings.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Agreed. That is why is not realistic to think this roster can go from 5-12 to playing in the Super Bowl. I think before spending money on RB - they should make sure the OL is stable, figure out the DLine and Front Seven. Edge gets talked about in terms of what if Bosa or Mack goes, who is the 3rd Edge Rusher. But what about the LB next to Hanley or IDL. Right now IDL is Otito, Matlock and Fox - if you count him as DT. Thats not good. I know CB is a need but Front 7 is also a need.

I see this team as the Detroit Lions coming off the 2021 season. There are some pieces in place plus some young players that maybe with coaching can improve (we hope). But can Hortiz manage two drafts like Brad Holmes did because if he does, Harbaugh and this staff will coach them up.
      There's some of your top 10 problems.

OC
      OT
      IDL
      ED
      CB
      S
      LB
      TE
      WR
      RB

We have some pieces to win, but nobody is thinking SB.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

At what price? Giving up a C or DT in the 2nd to get a better RB?

And then we need two RBs. So you have to omit drafting another position of need later. Can we afford to draft 2 RBs? Best to keep Ekeler and draft a RB in the 3rd where some less highly rated, less capable RBs are. And we have all seen what a 3rd or 4th round RB brings.
        We have also seen Ekler looking pretty washed last year.

One thing I think we can expect from new regime and with Hortiz...they will not be afraid to move on from veterans when it is time.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

We have also seen Ekler looking pretty washed last year.

One thing I think we can expect from new regime and with Hortiz...they will not be afraid to move on from veterans when it is time.
          A lot of Chargers looked pretty washed last year.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I'm coming around to this too.
            Good take.
            I do not see them resigning Ek. He will want too much and they can spend it better elsewhere. Especially when Ek might bring them back one of their better comp picks next year.

Gus Edwards, D’Onta Forman and Antonio Gibson will be much cheaper and with a new running game, they will be what the Chargers need them to be. In turn, if it’s another 1 year prove it deal and they produce, another comp pick comes the Chargers way the following year.

Hortiz loves his comp picks and he is going to get that going as soon as possible and continue it.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

There's some of your top 10 problems.

OC
              OT
              IDL
              ED
              CB
              S
              LB
              TE
              WR
              RB

We have some pieces to win, but nobody is thinking SB.
              So many holes and it’s so true.🤦🏻‍♂️

I am hoping SB, but will be stoked if they get I
              in the playoffs the first year.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

Other than Center I could also see them picking up a DT in free agency. I guy I like is Lawrence Guy. He was just let go by the Pats. Signing a Center and DT before the draft would be huge.
                1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                3a- #66 Puni OT
                3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                4a- #105 Rice WR
                4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                5- #140 Green CB
                6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

A lot of Chargers looked pretty washed last year.
                  Like who? I cant think of another skill player who looked like he lost his burst.

I know its not a popular sentiment on this board to move on from any Charger players whatsoever, even though they have been losing for years, but in order to change the culture and start winning, some players are going to have to go and some new ones brought in.

Luckily we don't have Telesco anymore who will stick with his guys no matter what and not make changes.

Chargers need a bigger stronger starter who can run between the tackles. I see Ekler getting a reality check in free agency if he thinks he is going to be signed as a starter for big money. I see a 3rd down back position with another team in his future.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Watch just a minute of this vid. Then ask yourself, "Do I want to see Mike Williams making these plays against the Chargers in a Chiefs or Raiders uniform?" Because if they release Mike, he could end up on either of these teams, MW has made enough plays against these opponents, especially the Chiefs. The Chiefs are going to make WR a top priority this off-season, with an emphasis on WRs who don't make drops. Do you want to see Mahomes to Mike in 2024?

Why Mike Williams Is A Cheat Code | LA Chargers

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Watch just a minute of this vid. Then ask yourself, "Do I want to see Mike Williams making these plays against the Chargers in a Chiefs or Raiders uniform?" Because if they release Mike, he could end up on either of these teams, MW has made enough plays against these opponents, especially the Chiefs. The Chiefs are going to make WR a top priority this off-season, with an emphasis on WRs who don't make drops. Do you want to see Mahomes to Mike in 2024?

Why Mike Williams Is A Cheat Code | LA Chargers

No, I would not...but then again I don't see any team agreeing to pay his salary demands for the next two seasons at $20 mil per year either. He won't be a factor until the second half of the season anyways so there's that.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Agreed. That is why is not realistic to think this roster can go from 5-12 to playing in the Super Bowl. I think before spending money on RB - they should make sure the OL is stable, figure out the DLine and Front Seven. Edge gets talked about in terms of what if Bosa or Mack goes, who is the 3rd Edge Rusher. But what about the LB next to Hanley or IDL. Right now IDL is Otito, Matlock and Fox - if you count him as DT. Thats not good. I know CB is a need but Front 7 is also a need.

I see this team as the Detroit Lions coming off the 2021 season. There are some pieces in place plus some young players that maybe with coaching can improve (we hope). But can Hortiz manage two drafts like Brad Holmes did because if he does, Harbaugh and this staff will coach them up.
                        Talking about out coaching them up, we have 19 coaches on staff so far. Most teams have about 12 I believe. I see a heavy emphasis on coaching up coming.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
                          Other than Center I could also see them picking up a DT in free agency. I guy I like is Lawrence Guy. He was just let go by the Pats. Signing a Center and DT before the draft would be huge.
                          Guy is going to be 34 soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X