• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

It’s a much bigger fix needed: gotta maximize basically everybody (excepting those few cuts we all see coming..).
    Team football. 11 men all do their jobs.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

No, sorry if unclear

I think Harbaugh mentioned Herbert James and Keenan on CBS

He didn't mention Bosa

I can see Harbaugh wanting James on the team moving forward as he probably thinks he can get something out of him that Staley didn't
      we are going to find ourselves saying thinks like "this never happened under Staley" a lot, LOL...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

He was at the AFC championship game yesterday -- thats a high level of football. The Chargers aren't close to that. I have a feeling he is taking a longer view of the team than just trying to do everything to compete this year at the expense of the future

Doesn't mean he is giving up on the season
        i read your thought, and I think the opposite - jox said it well. i think every molecule in his being is viscerally opposed to taking even a game, much less write off his first entire season of losing as a rebuild. He will want to win yesterday.

Now - how much he can succeed in Yr1 is a guess, we don't even know the roster yet. But he will try for now, its his only way, its who he is. I think WC is a reasonable target, though will understand if he comes up just short. Also won't be surprised if he exceeds. I'm not writing anything off yet.

Staley: "We won a game, no lift day tomorrow!!! yea!"
        Harbaugh: "Less is more? NO - MORE IS MORE!"

The change in tone and tenor will be emphatic and early and it will make a difference imo.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

i read your thought, and I think the opposite - jox said it well. i think every molecule in his being is viscerally opposed to taking even a game, much less write off his first entire season of losing as a rebuild. He will want to win yesterday.

Now - how much he can succeed in Yr1 is a guess, we don't even know the roster yet. But he will try for now, its his only way, its who he is. I think WC is a reasonable target, though will understand if he comes up just short. Also won't be surprised if he exceeds. I'm not writing anything off yet.

Staley: "We won a game, no lift day tomorrow!!! yea!"
          Harbaugh: "Less is more? NO - MORE IS MORE!"

The change in tone and tenor will be emphatic and early and it will make a difference imo.
          where did I say tanking a game
          who said anything about writing off this year
          but there are financial implications

Popper laid it out very well - sure the Chargers bring back MW, Joey Bosa, Mack and Allen - but that would mean pushing like $50m of cap to the future. Can they do it? Yes. But as Popper wrote - the bill will come due at another time. Linsley and Kendrick only count 15m and you are talking needing 45 to get to zero 15m to sign your picks and that leaves nothing but min level players if you do this

I just don't think they should as they will need money in the future for draft picks, and signing free agents and bringing back players on their second contracts like Palmer and maybe Samuel next; Slater gets a big pay raise next year and after that will need a big bump

Mack and Allen - fine - want to push 25m of cap to bring them both back - I can see that.
          I see no reason to bring back Bosa or Williams - the injury concern + price tag is too much to overcome

Do you want to build for one year like Telesco and Staley? As really, the deeper dive - it was really a one year push and will figure out the rest next year. They had ZERO vision beyond this year. NONE
          Or do you want to build for 4-5 years -make the playoffs more than once every four years. How about making the playoffs every year for 4 or 5 years in a row. Thats my strategy. Build something

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Popper laid it out very well - sure the Chargers bring back MW, Joey Bosa, Mack and Allen - but that would mean pushing like $50m of cap to the future. Can they do it? Yes. But as Popper wrote - the bill will come due at another time. Linsley and Kendrick only count 15m and you are talking needing 45 to get to zero 15m to sign your picks and that leaves nothing but min level players if you do this

I just don't think they should as they will need money in the future for draft picks, and signing free agents and bringing back players on their second contracts like Palmer and maybe Samuel next; Slater gets a big pay raise next year and after that will need a big bump

Mack and Allen - fine - want to push 25m of cap to bring them both back - I can see that.
            I see no reason to bring back Bosa or Williams - the injury concern + price tag is too much to overcome

Do you want to build for one year like Telesco and Staley? As really, the deeper dive - it was really a one year push and will figure out the rest next year. They had ZERO vision beyond this year. NONE
            Or do you want to build for 4-5 years -make the playoffs more than once every four years. How about making the playoffs every year for 4 or 5 years in a row. Thats my strategy. Build something
            personally, I think it's best to just rip off the bandaid and just get what you can for these guys now and build the team around Herbert, this has to become Herbert's team and that's going to take getting rid of the guys that came before Herbert...even KA said that Herbert needs to take the reigns, well guess what? that might require KA being out of the picture...Herbert also needs to learn to find comfort levels with the new guys instead of having that dependency on KA, it's time to rip off that fucking umbilical cord...it's not Herbert's job to make sure KA gets his touches...Herbert needs to go back to just finding the open guy like he did earlier in his career...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

personally, I think it's best to just rip off the bandaid and just get what you can for these guys now and build the team around Herbert, this has to become Herbert's team and that's going to take getting rid of the guys that came before Herbert...even KA said that Herbert needs to take the reigns, well guess what? that might require KA being out of the picture...Herbert also needs to learn to find comfort levels with the new guys instead of having that dependency on KA, it's time to rip off that fucking umbilical cord...it's not Herbert's job to make sure KA gets his touches...Herbert needs to go back to just finding the open guy like he did earlier in his career...
              I agree, Lets rip off the band aid and deal with most of this in 2024, and be in great shape for 2025 and beyond to contend under Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Actually I am with you. When I say pushing money for Allen and Mack - I cna make arguments for them that I just cannot make for Bosa and Williams. - I would move on from all 4 unless KA took a Fitz type deal. Fitz was taking 11m - but with the increase to the cap and that was 3-5 years ago - I can see KA at something like 16-18m per year. Bosa can't stay on the damn field =- = plus I don't think he brings a winning culture

But Mack is never going to have more value ; if Bosa has value - take what you can. I mean shit, does it really make sense like Popper suggested to give Mack 23m basically knowing you have him for one year and going to be left with a $14m cap charge.

Move forward this year..

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

LOL…. That’s hyperbolic. They didn’t trade away future #1 picks which many teams do. They also didnt make any costly in season trades which many were screaming they should have done.

Fans….damn if you do and damn if you don’t. One thing I know for sure is that nobody was complaining at the beginning of 2023 season about paying Mack, Bosa, Allen, and Williams.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Actually I am with you. When I say pushing money for Allen and Mack - I cna make arguments for them that I just cannot make for Bosa and Williams. - I would move on from all 4 unless KA took a Fitz type deal. Fitz was taking 11m - but with the increase to the cap and that was 3-5 years ago - I can see KA at something like 16-18m per year. Bosa can't stay on the damn field =- = plus I don't think he brings a winning culture

But Mack is never going to have more value ; if Bosa has value - take what you can. I mean shit, does it really make sense like Popper suggested to give Mack 23m basically knowing you have him for one year and going to be left with a $14m cap charge.

Move forward this year..
                    Not that Jim needs excuses, but the cap situation gives the perfect excuse to remake the roster both to build it around Herbert but also to build it to reflect his culture...a guy like Bosa is an automatic bounce, the guy is toxic and besides Jim is a Michigan man and Bosa is Mr. Ohio state...yeah get him gone already, I've disliked the dude since he basically almost single handedly cost us the fucking Jacksonville game, you remove Bosa's contributions from that game and the Chargers hold on to their lead and advance in the playoffs...

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

It depends on how you do it. In order to get anything of value, you need to trade them starting on March 16th. But in order to do that, you need to be cap compliant by then. So we’re probably not going to get much value out of at least two of them.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

You keep painting this as two extremes, not reality-based IMHO. Really depends more on the 47 or so other players on the team than the big four (five really, why you don’t count Herbert’s contract as a negative is out of sync with the rest of your argument, as his trade value is likely higher than the other four combined, and other teams get by without a Herbert just fine).

Keeping Mack and Allen means the team wants to win now. Don’t see that as a negative at all if it’s possible to do it, kinda think Harbaugh would concur. But the reality in this league is, you want premium production you gotta pay for it. Let’s see if they want them back, can fit them under the cap reasonably, and what other moves they make. I’m sure the new brain trusts will be able to find a way to get what they want, or else why take the job(s)?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

It depends on how you do it. In order to get anything of value, you need to trade them starting on March 16th. But in order to do that, you need to be cap compliant by then. So we’re probably not going to get much value out of at least two of them.
                          They can't trade them before March 15th?

Comment

Working...
                          X