• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The Athletic doesn't. They have dropped us from 20 to 26 in their power rankings when looking at who we lost and who we brought in. Of course, we aren't done and there is still the draft but so far they are not impressed.
    They are probably wondering how we'll score points.

Comment

• Eurobolt
      *** Jim Harbaugh ***
      • Sep 2018
      • Send PM

I really like those 1 year deals. It help team not to reach during the draft and take BPA in day 1 and 2.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Tyler Boyd was mocked to the Chargers by Emory Hunt in 2016.

His comp was Keenan Allen.

If the price is right, the fit is perfect.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

The Athletic doesn't. They have dropped us from 20 to 26 in their power rankings when looking at who we lost and who we brought in. Of course, we aren't done and there is still the draft but so far they are not impressed.
          That may be fair as of March 19, 2023 (I don't assess all other rosters but will give them benefit of doubt) - we let good players go and have yet to replace them all. Fortunately there is no trophy for Best Roster On March 19th.

Trust the process, more is to come ...
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

I don't understand the panic about WRs or scoring points.

Mike Williams missed most of the year last year.
            So cutting him was not cutting points, he was unavailable to score anything. And isn't someone I would rely on to be available.
            With play action and run game, even with a couple drops, QJ should be good for 8-10TDs. That replaces the unavailable MW. That points. IMV.

Allen has always been great, but never a big TD scorer or threat to take it to house. And at his age and unwilling to take a pay cut. Getting pick #110 was a great move. You are not replacing that many TDs. And although he can help move the chains to keep the drive going.
            I think Palmer is a very solid route runner. Knows how to get open. And can be that possession receiver. JH and him have some chemistry already.
            ​​​
            Ekeler not only had a down year for him but he fumbles too much. 10 over past 2 seasons. They didn't score as many points because of these turnovers. A couple goaline fumbles as well, a bit of a Melvin Gordon impression. And Ekeler is beginning to look a bit beat up at 5'8 200lbs. Gus Edwards at 6'1 238lbs will beat the other team up and wear them out in a way Ekeler never could. And will score those redzone TDs smash mouth into the end zone. That is points. IMV.

If you running it better, the play action and redzone scoring gets easier because the other team is struggling to stop the run and then TE easily leaks out for wide open TD toss in redzone.

I just don't view MW, Ekeler, Allen as losing points that are hard to find. With a better OL, run game and defense. There are many points that will be added by being better at the line of scrimmage.

When Roman said can you imagine Justin Herbert with a run game.....IMV, he was imagining play action and wide open TD passes off of that run game. POINTS. Lots of POINTS. ​​​​​​​

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

That may be fair as of March 19, 2023 (I don't assess all other rosters but will give them benefit of doubt) - we let good players go and have yet to replace them all. Fortunately there is no trophy for Best Roster On March 19th.

Trust the process, more is to come ...
              Chargers finished 5-12

The power rankings should be 26 or 27

Comment

• Icebolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2023
                • Send PM

TT won the FA season a couple of times. Nationally media ratings really mean nothing.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Those power rankings can be misleading...based on player production only, and apparently no consideration given to the importance of getting out of cap hell to sign our draft class and new FA's...so I call these rankings BOGUS...

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

So cutting him was not cutting points, he was unavailable to score anything. And isn't someone I would rely on to be available.
                    With play action and run game, even with a couple drops, QJ should be good for 8-10TDs. That replaces the unavailable MW. That points. IMV.

Allen has always been great, but never a big TD scorer or threat to take it to house. And at his age and unwilling to take a pay cut. Getting pick #110 was a great move. You are not replacing that many TDs. And although he can help move the chains to keep the drive going.
                    I think Palmer is a very solid route runner. Knows how to get open. And can be that possession receiver. JH and him have some chemistry already.
                    ​​
                    Ekeler not only had a down year for him but he fumbles too much. 10 over past 2 seasons. They didn't score as many points because of these turnovers. A couple goaline fumbles as well, a bit of a Melvin Gordon impression. And Ekeler is beginning to look a bit beat up at 5'8 200lbs. Gus Edwards at 6'1 238lbs will beat the other team up and wear them out in a way Ekeler never could. And will score those redzone TDs smash mouth into the end zone. That is points. IMV.

If you running it better, the play action and redzone scoring gets easier because the other team is struggling to stop the run and then TE easily leaks out for wide open TD toss in redzone.

I just don't view MW, Ekeler, Allen as losing points that are hard to find. With a better OL, run game and defense. There are many points that will be added by being better at the line of scrimmage.

When Roman said can you imagine Justin Herbert with a run game.....IMV, he was imagining play action and wide open TD passes off of that run game. POINTS. Lots of POINTS.

Great assessment, Critty. 👍

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

​​

When Roman said can you imagine Justin Herbert with a run game.....IMV, he was imagining play action and wide open TD passes off of that run game. POINTS. Lots of POINTS. ​​​​​​​
                      Good "points," Critty...so to make an analogy to Billyball, instead of "he gets on base," it's now, "he scores points"...

image.png

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

​​

When Roman said can you imagine Justin Herbert with a run game.....IMV, he was imagining play action and wide open TD passes off of that run game. POINTS. Lots of POINTS.

I wouldn't describe anything as panic but an issue to address.

I agree that Gus looks like an upgrade over an unmotivated or aging Ekeler. Before last season he was the leading TD maker at his position in 2 consecutive years.

You're right about MW last season but counting on a quantum leap for QJ. Remains to be seen. Likewise with Palmer who has shown ability but not Keenan ability. Are you good with the WR room as it stands?

Comment

• ChargerTrader
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Send PM

​​

This is a great post.

Comment

Working...
                          X