• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think thats a dream.. If he will cost 6 mil with that much space left, there is no way we are going into the season before it even starts with only 2 to 4 million for in season injuries, ....and im thinking we will add more than one guy before the season starts. They arent going to blow their wad on a FS. Have you looked at what they paid the guys they did sign? Not one close to 6 mil.

They only way this happens is IF they plan to release or trade Pipkins after June 1st....and it dont sound like it.
    I think you're right.

Fun fact: the park nearest my house is "Simmons Park". hmmm ... maybe we, ahem, can park this Simmons proposal for awhile?
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

I think it pretty unrealistic to think that anyone is going to trade for Pipkins and take on his contract.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

I think thats a dream.. If he will cost 6 mil with that much space left, there is no way we are going into the season before it even starts with only 2 to 4 million for in season injuries, ....and im thinking we will add more than one guy before the season starts. They arent going to blow their wad on a FS. Have you looked at what they paid the guys they did sign? Not one close to 6 mil.

They only way this happens is IF they plan to release or trade Pipkins after June 1st....and it dont sound like it.
        According to Spotrac the Chargers have over $30M in cap space, 5th best in the league. Of course we haven't signed the rookies yet. But $30M is enough to bring
        in several vets @ the $6M range and still have plenty left over for in season transactions.

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Still looks like the most obvious reach of the our draft, I'm going to trust that Hortiz knows his own back yard better than anyone and I heard rumors that one of our new coaches wanted him bad...Still's biggest draw from what I can tell is that if he pans out as a viable depth piece, his being on the roster saves the team a roster spot as he can play STs, and fill in at two possibly three positions in the secondary...
          Looks like a starter by the end of the season to me. Fills in a nice roll as a big physical CB which we don't have.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

According to Spotrac the Chargers have over $30M in cap space, 5th best in the league. Of course we haven't signed the rookies yet. But $30M is enough to bring
            in several vets @ the $6M range and still have plenty left over for in season transactions.
            Yeah...you obviously havent been reading the posts on contracts regarding our cap space.

We dont really have that much and was just mentioned a few posts back from what i quoted. So...once again.....rookie pool (cap space only here) is somewhere around 11-12 mil......not sure which. Alt's cap alone will be 6 mil. Someone can correct on that to be more accurate. Have to set asside a pool for PS players and in season injuries and then we end up with around 8 to 10 mil.

Im thinking we will sign more than just one player before we head to TC or even after depending on who gets released that we like,.... so i doubt they are going to spend 6 mil of that 8 to 10 on one player....and FS at that.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I'd rather they just keep Pipkins as Swing OT #1, he is better than Sarrell by a mile. Unless they are moving Salyer off of OG, that is. I'm ok trading Pipkins but it has to be for something of value. He is a (average) starting offensive tackle in the NFL, that ain't nothing.
              Yep...we may need that depth in case of injuries...hope it doesn't happen...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

1) Re-Read what I wrote how the Chargers would have the cap space to sign Simmons - have already allocated what the rookies, practice squad and in-season slush fund will be needed. With that, the Chargers would have a NET cap space of $8-10m. And one thing, if Simmons signs for $8m, he only costs $7m of cap space.

As for what Simmons will sign for - its post draft - he is not breaking the bank.

2) most of the other signings are vet minimum signings that at most, count $200k net to the cap if that much

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Yeah...you obviously havent been reading the posts on contracts regarding our cap space.

We dont really have that much and was just mentioned a few posts back from what i quoted. So...once again.....rookie pool is somewhere around 12 mil...give or take a mil, not sure which. Someone can correct on that to be more accurate. Have to set asside a pool for PS players and in season injuries and then we end up with around 8 to 10 mil.

Im thinking we will sign more than just one player before we head to TC or even after depending on who gets released that we like,.... so i doubt they are going to spend 6 mil of that 8 to 10 on one player....and FS at that.
                  If we sign a vet to a multi year contract it won't cost $6-8M against the cap. There is bonus involved which is spread over the life of the contract.
                  So for $8M you can sign more than 1 vet. If it's a 1 year deal then it's a different story. Subract $12M for the rookies and you still have $18M in
                  cap space. I've seen teams go into the start of the season with around $5M in cap space and then sign several vets. So $18M is plenty of room
                  to sign 3 vets if we deem it necessary and still have over $5M in cap space headed into the season.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

If we sign a vet to a multi year contract it won't cost $6-8M against the cap. There is bonus involved which is spread over the life of the contract.
                    So for $8M you can sign more than 1 vet. If it's a 1 year deal then it's a different story. Subract $12M for the rookies and you still have $18M in
                    cap space. I've seen teams go into the start of the season with around $5M in cap space and then sign several vets. So $18M is plenty of room
                    to sign 3 vets if we deem it necessary and still have over $5M in cap space headed into the season.
                    Wont be 18 mil...you already forgot about the PS and in season injury pool lol. If we had 18 mil left over, it wouldnt be be a problem.

And im also responding to those who keep mentioning Simmons as one we should sign. Its just a dream.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...we may need that depth in case of injuries...hope it doesn't happen...
                      If Pipkins perfoms well - keep him. The salary is guaranteed anyway so there is no benefit to releasing him. As it is - only on the books for $6.75m next year as well - so thats not much for a solid rotational OLine

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Where are you getting $12m for the rookies ?

That figure is at least $4m too much for how much net to the cap the rookie class will cost

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If Pipkins perfoms well - keep him. The salary is guaranteed anyway so there is no benefit to releasing him. As it is - only on the books for $6.75m next year as well - so thats not much for a solid rotational OLine
                          Although we DO have an out on Pip's deal after the 2024 season:

image.png

Comment

Working...
                          X