• Show
Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

I didn't know where to pose this question so here goes. Heading back to So Cal at the end of the month and am wondering where to look in a very short time for some reasonably priced Chargers gear. I am going to be in Costa Mesa and have one free afternoon. Does Wal Mart sell NFL gear? I see that Dick's has a fan shop. Anywhere else???

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

OL depth is no longer valued at TPB. SMH. You’re not getting a Chris Smith at DT, have you looked at who is left on the FA wire? Who do you want?

Sorted by Walter’s rating …
      ———————
      Cox - 33 yo
      Harris - 33 yo
      Jenkins - 35 yo
      Watkins - 30 yo
      and we’re back to Nick Williams, former 2023 LA Charger …
      Yep...Having BOTH Sayler and Pip at backup OT is a big plus...injuries happen...hope it doesn't, but if it does, better to have a Pip in reserve than a Storm...and by the way, Trader Joe and Harbo both value depth, so I'd be a bit surprised if they trade Pip any time this season...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...Having BOTH Sayler and Pip at backup OT is a big plus...injuries happen...hope it doesn't, but if it does, better to have a Pip in reserve than a Storm...and by the way, Trader Joe and Harbo both value depth, so I'd be a bit surprised if they trade Pip any time this season...
        If Trader Joe takes his hat off and sets her on the table, watch out cuz you’re about to be taken to the cleaners. As all things, it depends on the option / alternative.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

I get the depth thing but the contract number is a bit high for a backup, and what of the rumors that Trey has been practicing at RG?
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
            If Trader Joe takes his hat off and sets her on the table, watch out cuz you’re about to be taken to the cleaners. As all things, it depends on the option / alternative.
            Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I get the depth thing but the contract number is a bit high for a backup, and what of the rumors that Trey has been practicing at RG?
            I get that Harbo wants to at least try Pip out at G to see if he can hack it...if not he's a backup T...OR, if some team comes along with a decent offer, possible trade bait...but I still think they value him as depth...

Comment

• CivilBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

I get that Harbo wants to at least try Pip out at G to see if he can hack it...if not he's a backup T...OR, if some team comes along with a decent offer, possible trade bait...but I still think they value him as depth...
              I agree. By mid season there will be a RT needing team

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I could get behind Pip as backup if he wasn’t making the same amount as two-to-three starting OL on the team combined. That’s terrible optics for that OL room, and just because the previous regime didn’t know what they were doing? That’s gonna go down okay in 2024? Harbaugh’s rep screams, “I’m gonna fix that!” And I think those players expect him to do just that. No pro team has a backup OL making that obscenely misbalanced amount of money, if Pip ain’t the - at least - second best OG on the team at some point during TC, he’s gone and it won’t matter how. I just don’t see it playing out any other way, and I don’t think JH2 do either (hint: they dropped a first rounder on Pip’s exact position, says more than any presser coachspeak comment).

per over the cap.com:

Pipkins $8,750,00
                Slater $5,292,000
                Johnson $4,022,000
                Bozeman $1,125,000

Salyer $1,029,000

The rest are all below $1mil each. Nothing wrong with this picture?
                Last edited by blueman; 05-13-2024, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Factors in play at this early juncture

--Trench depth will be important.
                  --Position flexibility up front will be important on both sides of the football.
                  --We are in good shape with the cap.
                  --The Chargers will rely on what's happening up front to mitigate any back 7 deficiencies.
                  --We have no idea exactly who will take to Ben's way.
                  --We should be especially careful with OL depth.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Thats good, right?
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      I could get behind Pip as backup if he wasn’t making the same amount as two-to-three starting OL on the team combined. That’s terrible optics for that OL room, and just because the previous regime didn’t know what they were doing? That’s gonna go down okay in 2024? Harbaugh’s rep screams, “I’m gonna fix that!” And I think those players expect him to do just that. No pro team has a backup OL making that obscenely misbalanced amount of money, if Pip ain’t the - at least - second best OG on the team at some point during TC, he’s gone and it won’t matter how. I just don’t see it playing out any other way, and I don’t think JH2 do either (hint: they dropped a first rounder on Pip’s exact position, says more than any presser coachspeak comment).

per over the cap.com:

Pipkins $8,750,00
                      Slater $5,292,000
                      Johnson $4,022,000
                      Bozeman $1,125,000

Salyer $1,029,000

Good point, Blue, but this is TT's doing...Trader Joe can't undo TT's doing all at once...at least the Bolts have depth for now...maybe Hortiz is quietly peddling Pip...but if he can't get the offer he likes, he can always wait till some time in the middle or so of the season...if we're still healthy at T and some T needy team ponies up a decent draft pick as CivilBolt mentioned, then I think Trader Joe pulls the trigger...

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        I could get behind Pip as backup if he wasn’t making the same amount as two-to-three starting OL on the team combined. That’s terrible optics for that OL room.

per over the cap.com:

Pipkins $8,750,00
                        Slater $5,292,000
                        Johnson $4,022,000
                        Bozeman $1,125,000

Salyer $1,029,000

I don’t think players are that petty and they realize if they stick around as long as Trey they will be paid equal or more.

Cap considerations might be a reason for trading Trey but not fantasized player envy. They understand salaries aren’t recomputed every year to be “fair”. 😂

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Good point, Blue, but this is TT's doing...Trader Joe can't undo TT's doing all at once...at least the Bolts have depth for now...maybe Hortiz is quietly peddling Pip...but if he can't get the offer he likes, he can always wait till some time in the middle or so of the season...if we're still healthy at T and some T needy team ponies up a decent draft pick as CivilBolt mentioned, then I think Trader Joe pulls the trigger...
                          Agree with TopCat - it might be terrible optics but it is what it is. Pipkins is guaranteed 6m play - so releasing him, unless he is totally screwing up in the locker room and on the field - is unlikely

that doesn't mean he has to start. And my guess, Harbaugh will only play him if he is one of the best for that group of 5. Which in fact, shows the rest of the lockere room, how its done

It would only be bad if Pipkin were starting because of what he makes and not ability and cohesion of the OLine. And that, would piss off the locker room more.

Comment

Working...
                          X