• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I hear ya. I had the "WTF?!?" eyebrow raise when MVS was announced to be coming in for a visit. Because after the signing of Chark, I didn't think the Bolts NEEDED anybody else in the receiver room, not if they believe in the receivers they just drafted.

So to me, the speculation of signing MVS contained a vibe of not really being excited about Brenden Rice and Cornelius Johnson.

And personally? I want to see these guys get an opportunity to shine, rather than getting buried behind a stop-gap vet.
    MVS made no sense after drafting Rice and Johnson even before they stepped on the practice field. Some thought Rice could be a 4th or 5th rounder pick. Plus now Johnson, I would rather keep those two around, see what they have. Because if they succeed - you have two young WRs that are under contract for four years. And I am not ready to give up on this year but also realize, the more snaps the younger players get this year, the better that could be long term. With Chark around - they didn't need MVS. The WR room has Palmer, QJ, Chark, Ladd, DD Rice and Johnson - that should be solid enough. Especially for a team that wants to run the ball

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Assuming other teams allow it, look what happened this year, I felt through this past draft that a few teams over-drafted some of the Michigan guys thinking they wouldn't make it to the next round past Harbaugh and the Chargers...
      Hortiz *could have* gone after any of several Michigan players in Round 2. All of them, except Junior Colson, were gone by the time the Chargers were on the clock in Round 3.

If ANY Michigan player was going to slide a round and be available to the Chargers in the 3rd round, the order of desirability I'd put them in would be Colson, Jenkins and Sainristill.

I'd feel lucky to get any of these three guys. Each would certainly fill a position of significant need, so I'm not going to quibble about any 'what if' scenarios.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

So I guess our DB worrywarts are counting on a post June 1 Linsley dividend.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Hortiz *could have* gone after any of several Michigan players in Round 2. All of them, except Junior Colson, were gone by the time the Chargers were on the clock in Round 3.

If ANY Michigan player was going to slide a round and be available to the Chargers in the 3rd round, the order of desirability I'd put them in would be Colson, Jenkins and Sainristill.

I'd feel lucky to get any of these three guys. Each would certainly fill a position of significant need, so I'm not going to quibble about any 'what if' scenarios.
          Agree. Those were the three UM players that most all of us liked and the issue is they were all slotted/predicted to go somewhere near the same time between latter Rd2 and latter Rd3.

Colson adds the most value upgrade to our existing roster imo and was the best choice for JH2, 100% support it.

Sainristill was my fave of the 3 - I project his floor is a very good "starting" slot DB, seeing the field up to 50% of snaps given current NFL pass ratios. I don't think he has the size and strength for true CB1 outside against the biggest strongest WRs but maybe his tenacity and skills can get him there too.

Jenkins is going to be a journeyman starter with a long career (barring injury, of course) but I don't think he'll be pro bowl caliber player. He would upgrade our current IDL group but not as much as Colson or Sain would.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            So I guess our DB worrywarts are counting on a post June 1 Linsley dividend.
            Linsley being released will be a savings of $300k - thats not much money

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Linsley being released will be a savings of $300k - thats not much money
              OK...Source is GAC last night.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

OK...Source is GAC last night.
                What did Guilty as Charged say last night about Linsley? I missed it

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

What did Guilty as Charged say last night about Linsley? I missed it
                  It was just a mention.
                  They made it sound like a lot more than $300k.

Edit. I thought they said $6 mil.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

MVS signing with the Bills
                    With the Chargers signing Chark - MVS made no sense

But, DB - either CB or S does

Just see when, if it happens.
                    I was relieved to see MVS signing with the Bills. Never wanted him as a Charger.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

It was just a mention.
                      They made it sound like a lot more than $300k.

Edit. I thought they said $6 mil.
                      Before he re-did his contract - yes, that was the figure of savings by him retiring and re-doing his contract. But that savings has already been accounted for. His current base salary is $1.2m - and if he retires with a post June 1 designation, the cap savings will be $300k at most since somebody will be on the roster in his place

If the Chargers want Justin Simmons and Justin Simmons wants the Chargers - they have the money to make it happen.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

MVS made no sense after drafting Rice and Johnson even before they stepped on the practice field. Some thought Rice could be a 4th or 5th rounder pick. Plus now Johnson, I would rather keep those two around, see what they have. Because if they succeed - you have two young WRs that are under contract for four years. And I am not ready to give up on this year but also realize, the more snaps the younger players get this year, the better that could be long term. With Chark around - they didn't need MVS. The WR room has Palmer, QJ, Chark, Ladd, DD Rice and Johnson - that should be solid enough. Especially for a team that wants to run the ball
                        The ability to run and pass well is a very complementary circumstance. Harbaugh intends to be that team.

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I was relieved to see MVS signing with the Bills. Never wanted him as a Charger.
                          agree

Comment

Working...
                          X