• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
    So the Chargers made a trade with the Patriots to move up from #37 overall to #34 overall, where they selected Ladd McConkey. Hortiz apparently feared that either Atlanta (35th pick) or Washington (36th pick) would either select McConkey, or trade their pick to a team that *would*.

Neither ATL or WSH took a wideout. In fact, both took defensive tackles-- Ruke Ohorhoro, and Johnny Newton, respectively.

Is anybody in the forum here aware of any specific 'threats' that caused Joe Hortiz to trade up? Any rumors of teams trying to move up to select McConkey?
    There is also to consider other teams who might have traded with ATL or WSH to get Ladd.

Hortiz didn't give up a lot, just moved back from #10? in the 4rth to the top of the 5th.
    He probably thought that it was a minimal cost to get someone they really wanted.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

It’s all based on college at this point but McConkey is a pretty unique player. I don’t think I have ever seen someone his size (he is lean but not small) have his quickness and route running and long speed.

tg
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Were Vikings contemplating a trade up for Malik Nabers — and a trade of Justin Jefferson?Published May 26, 2024 05:21 PM
        During the first night of the draft, we caught wind of something that ultimately couldn’t be sufficiently confirmed to become an official PFT blurb.

As the unconfirmed rumor went, the Vikings were trying to trade up to No. 5 with the Chargers. With the goal of cutting the line in front of the Giants. With the goal of taking not a quarterback, but LSU receiver Malik Nabers.

It would have massive implications, since it would have given the Vikings a trio of first-round receivers, and no clear-cut answer at quarterback. Again, we never were able to nail it down. (I mentioned it during one of the draft-night videos, after news of the effort made its way to PFT HQ.) On Sunday, near the bottom of a Sunday column from Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press covering multiple aspects and angles of Minnesota, appears a stunning blurb.

“Pssst,” Waters writes. “There was buzz at draft time that the Vikings wanted to move from No. 11 to No. 5, not to pick a quarterback but to get LSU wide receiver Malik Nabers, who was picked No. 6 by the Giants. Had that trade occurred, Jefferson would have been traded and Nabers would have been the No. 1 receiver.”

That’s the kind of nugget that would be far more credible if it were the subject of a standalone article that fully and completely fleshed out the situation. That said, the Pioneer Press surely has editorial standards that would have compelled them to have a level of comfort before allowing such a consequential assertion to be printed.
        Skip

The first part of the report is equivocal, citing “buzz” that the Vikings “wanted” to make the move to No. 5. The back end is unequivocal and clear: “Had that trade occurred, Jefferson would have been traded.”

“Big if true,” as some like to say. In this specific case, it’s massive if true. Not just because it speaks to an alternative universe that nearly happened, but because Jefferson remains a Vikings and continues to not have a new deal.

Until he does, anything can happen. He can sign a new contract. He can be traded. The Vikings can play the “you’re under contract” game for 2024, kick the can to 2025, and apply the franchise tag and figure it out then.

Regardless, his long-term future can’t and won’t be secured until a deal is done. As we said earlier this week on PFT Live (the clip is attached), the team is sending mixed signals about their intentions with Jefferson, proclaiming to the world on one hand that they’re keeping him while on the other hand watching his price go up and up and up as other receivers not named Justin Jefferson sign bigger and bigger deals.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Prognosticating...
          Summer of Slathering...
          First We Feast Maya Rudolph GIF by Saturday Night Live
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

100% + it’s about the overall team and not just the WR receiver.

1. The Chargers traded their #37 for the Patriots’ pick.
            2. The Patriots drafted WR Ja’Lynn Polk from Washington with our former pick.

THEY were the threat to select Ladd.

I'd they wanted Ladd, they wouldn't have traded with us. You all do know the team we want trade up with is asking who we want right?
            You hear GMs say that often when they talk about trades. If you don't ask and they take your player then that GM a dummy.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-26-2024, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              It’s all based on college at this point but McConkey is a pretty unique player. I don’t think I have ever seen someone his size (he is lean but not small) have his quickness and route running and long speed.

tg
              I remember it being said about Darren Sproles, when he was drafted: "If he were three inches taller and 20 pounds heavier? He'd be a 1st round draft pick."

Then you look at the kind of career he had and, Holy <excrement>! The guy completely exceeded expectations AND had a *quite* long career in the NFL.

McConkey's situation seems lined up to have a similar arc. If McConkey were two inches taller and 10 pounds heavier? He almost certainly would have been selected earlier than how things turned out.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a huge oversight to *not* ask yourself about the possible implications of Ladd McConkey's relatively diminutive stature. (Phoo! A lot of negatives there!)

Would you feel better if he were bigger/stronger?!? Pfffft! Of *course* you would!

Would durability be less of a concern, if he were bigger/stronger?!? Duh!

Do we know how his body will stand up to NFL level abuse? No, we cannot honestly say that we do.

(On the other hand, do I believe that McConkey is a Jason Verrett? No, I do not.)

My point is, there are things that will have to "come out in the wash" with McConkey, where only time will give us any certain answers.

I'll say this, though-- I'm not pessimistic about McConkey in the LEAST. Above all, there's no pressure on Ladd McConkey to "carry the team". He just has to be one well-functioning cog in the overall machinery.
              Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 05-27-2024, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• LarryAW
                Chargers fan since 1970
                • Sep 2018
                • Chula Vista, CA
                • retired paralegal/court reporter
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'd they wanted Ladd, they wouldn't have traded with us. You all do know the team we want trade up with is asking who we want right?
                You hear GMs say that often when they talk about trades. If you don't ask and they take your player then that GM a dummy.
                The Chargers targeted McConkey, because is the perfect replacement for KA.

The Patriots wanted a WR, obviously had a pool of acceptable WRs, and the swap of our 4th for their 5th enticed them to make the deal for whomever was there at #37.

That in no way means they wouldn't have drafted Ladd at #34 had they stayed there, or at #37, if he was still available.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

The Chargers targeted McConkey, because is the perfect replacement for KA.

The Patriots wanted a WR, obviously had a pool of acceptable WRs, and the swap of our 4th for their 5th enticed them to make the deal for whomever was there at #37.

That in no way means they wouldn't have drafted Ladd at #34 had they stayed there, or at #37, if he was still available.
                  Agreed. There are several possibilities.

Teams tend to not deviate from their vertical vs their horizontal boards.

I believe it got very specific regarding skill sets, McConkey vs Polk, ie we REALLY wanted Ladd's route running, combined with his deep speed.

The guess is that NE was sure that Polk and or other WRs would be there for them.

There is also the possibility that McConkey was higher on ATL/WAS vertical big boards than Ohorhoro/Newton.
                  Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    Were Vikings contemplating a trade up for Malik Nabers — and a trade of Justin Jefferson?Published May 26, 2024 05:21 PM
                    During the first night of the draft, we caught wind of something that ultimately couldn’t be sufficiently confirmed to become an official PFT blurb.

As the unconfirmed rumor went, the Vikings were trying to trade up to No. 5 with the Chargers. With the goal of cutting the line in front of the Giants. With the goal of taking not a quarterback, but LSU receiver Malik Nabers.

It would have massive implications, since it would have given the Vikings a trio of first-round receivers, and no clear-cut answer at quarterback. Again, we never were able to nail it down. (I mentioned it during one of the draft-night videos, after news of the effort made its way to PFT HQ.) On Sunday, near the bottom of a Sunday column from Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press covering multiple aspects and angles of Minnesota, appears a stunning blurb.

“Pssst,” Waters writes. “There was buzz at draft time that the Vikings wanted to move from No. 11 to No. 5, not to pick a quarterback but to get LSU wide receiver Malik Nabers, who was picked No. 6 by the Giants. Had that trade occurred, Jefferson would have been traded and Nabers would have been the No. 1 receiver.”

That’s the kind of nugget that would be far more credible if it were the subject of a standalone article that fully and completely fleshed out the situation. That said, the Pioneer Press surely has editorial standards that would have compelled them to have a level of comfort before allowing such a consequential assertion to be printed.
                    Skip

The first part of the report is equivocal, citing “buzz” that the Vikings “wanted” to make the move to No. 5. The back end is unequivocal and clear: “Had that trade occurred, Jefferson would have been traded.”

“Big if true,” as some like to say. In this specific case, it’s massive if true. Not just because it speaks to an alternative universe that nearly happened, but because Jefferson remains a Vikings and continues to not have a new deal.

Until he does, anything can happen. He can sign a new contract. He can be traded. The Vikings can play the “you’re under contract” game for 2024, kick the can to 2025, and apply the franchise tag and figure it out then.

Regardless, his long-term future can’t and won’t be secured until a deal is done. As we said earlier this week on PFT Live (the clip is attached), the team is sending mixed signals about their intentions with Jefferson, proclaiming to the world on one hand that they’re keeping him while on the other hand watching his price go up and up and up as other receivers not named Justin Jefferson sign bigger and bigger deals.

Just an aside, but anyone would be a fool to sign Justin Jefferson to a 40mill/yr deal. You're reaching a point of diminishing returns, unless you believe in some alternate universe that Jefferson will have the same production as a quarterback.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Just an aside, but anyone would be a fool to sign Justin Jefferson to a 40mill/yr deal. You're reaching a point of diminishing returns, unless you believe in some alternate universe that Jefferson will have the same production as a quarterback.
                      In general, the position is now in danger of becoming commoditisied, as were RBs and LBs. Except for a true franchise QB, and maybe OTs, you can't overload your salary cap in a position where there are so many possible cheaper options coming out of college. I'm glad the Chargers didn't take that bait for Jefferson, but we have to wait and see if our unproven WR corps holds up.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Yep...especially for a wideout...they're more easily replaceable, like RBs...now a good OT, that's different, depending on how much they want, I'd try to do everything I could to keep good OT talent...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

In general, the position is now in danger of becoming commoditisied, as were RBs and LBs. Except for a true franchise QB, and maybe OTs, you can't overload your salary cap in a position where there are so many possible cheaper options coming out of college. I'm glad the Chargers didn't take that bait for Jefferson, but we have to wait and see if our unproven WR corps holds up.
                          I honestly didn't think Trader Joe would do any deal for Jefferson...especially when he just barely engineered our climbing out of cap hell...

Comment

Working...
                          X