• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I remember you bagging on me about Johnny Newton when I used the term "rare" about his talent level. He is in consideration at #5 or #11 (PFF #9 rank)..

Niemann and Pipkins are different circumstances and play different positions.

In building our roster, and considering this draft class, I prioritize OL and Slot Corner.

So in my opinion if the choice is Edgerrin Cooper at #37 or Trevin Wallace at #140, I choose the later. BTW I have Payton Wilson as Do Not Draft.

We'll see how it all plays out, as now that I have established that Joe Alt is an excellent run blocker, in a different way than Taliese Fuaga is, my work is done until next week.

Then, I will shock you by trading around and taking Alt (ORT) and Fuaga (ORG).

It is never too late for fresh draft takes, and it is fine that you and I have different draft strategies.
    Bagging on you...? I don't remember that. Were you suggesting @#5...? @#23, I'd be fine with Newton.
    That's fine if Payton Wilson is DND for you. Bucky Brooks is the one that really likes Payton. I could take/leave him. His traits...
    Colson has always been my guy (even before JH became the HC). Once the Chargers had a visit scheduled with Cooper... I started watching more Cooper tape. Then imagined him in Minter's scheme. I imagined him with Minter tutelage and discipline... I can see why they are considering @#23... along with 5 or 6 other teams.

Alt was always a plus run-blocker... the arguments otherwise were just mud-slinging. I get it... everyone want their boy and will trash other players to try and get their point across. I'm with Beach, Fuaga @#11. Dreams of Fuaga + Alt are just dreams. Fresh draft takes are always welcome.

Comment

• Jack Burton
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I think we could handle that $19 mil due Surtain the final year of his deal...my concern is he's gonna want a monster contract after that...those are the types of deals that got us into cap hell...I guess we could F-tag him after that, but he might pull a Moaning Mel...
      Or you could just pay a top 3 corner and manage the cap.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Comment

• Chargers8491
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2022
          • Send PM

As far as roster building strategy goes, I am strongly against the linebacker craze that is sweeping The Powder Blues, and all across the nation.

If we invest our #37 in Edgerrin Cooper for example, he will only get Special Teams snaps. The player bites on misdirection and would give up big plays. That is not what we are looking for.

The Chargers are developing Niemann and Henley. They have some scent-detecting snaps under their belts. Perryman has improved in pass coverage, says those of us who have actually scrutinized the situation. There's Dye.

Pick another position early, oh noobie draftnik wannabes. Early picks are for ballers...'24 ballers. Draft Bertrand in round 6, as a STer and developmental LB.

I guess that is possible don't agree that he will be only on ST's but that is ok. The LB'er class this year isn't great. I think Colston would be a really good fit. He is familiar with Minter's defense, and he is a really good LBer. He could potentially wear the green dot for the defense. Will he be there in the 3rd rnd? Who knows. If they like him, they have to take him in the 2nd or hope he slides.
          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
          3a- #66 Puni OT
          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
          4a- #105 Rice WR
          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
          5- #140 Green CB
          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

wu's Draft Blueprint

Rounds 1-2-3: A weapon + serious OL boost.

Rounds 4-4-5: Defenders who play specialized roles.

Rounds 6-7-7: Find weaponry nuggets.

That is the way this draft board
            and
            Jimbo Harbaugh are talking to wu.

It is futile to try and fight
            the way this talent pool shakes out
            as far as tiers and position groups go.

Then spackle and sandpaper it
            with UFAs, maybe UDFAs
            to give us a smooth, well rounded roster.

Don't like it--talk to Joe.
            Cuz wu's Master Class in Fine Cookin' is ovah...

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Jack Burton
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2023
              • Send PM

wu's Draft Blueprint

Rounds 1-3: A weapon + serious OL boost.

Rounds 4-4-5: Defenders who play specialized roles.

Rounds 6-7-7: Find weaponry nuggets.

That is the way this draft board
              and
              Jimbo Harbaugh are talking to me.

It is futile to try and fight
              the way this talent pool shakes out
              as far as tiers and position groups go.

Then spackle and sandpaper it
              with UFAs, maybe UDFAs
              to give us a smooth, well rounded roster.

Don't like it--talk to Joe.
              I could see it
              1-2 Defense possibly an OT
              3-4 Offensive weapons
              4-5 more of both

I could easily see with a trade down,

11- Laiatu Latu DE UCLA
              23 - Byron Murphy DT TEXAS
              37 - Max Melton CB RUTGERS
              69 - Ja’Lynn Polk WR WASH
              105 - Javon Baker WR UCF
              110 - Cedric Van Pran C GEORGIA
              140 - Cedrick Gray LB UNC
              181 - Cody Schrader - RB MIZZOU
              225 - AJ Barner TE MICHIGAN
              253 - Darius Muasau - LB UCLA

After pick 37, this entire fan base would melt down, but I could easily see that happening.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

With 4 WR currently on roster, I'm assuming we bring in at least 1 FA, most likely after the draft? And probably draft at least 1?
                How many do we usually have active on game day? And how many stashed on practice squad?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I could see it
                  3-4 Offensive weapons
                  4-5 more of both

11- Laiatu Latu DE UCLA
                  105 - Javon Baker WR UCF

After pick 37, this entire fan base would melt down, but I could easily see that happening.
                  I think 95% of this forum would melt down if we don't draft a wide receiver in the first round. Although I really like your first two picks, as well as a few others (Javon Baker and Cedric Van Pran, in particular), no offensive tackle at all would concern me.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                    By the way...they may well be they like young Neiman and Henley, and picked up Perryman for insurance.

They cant fix everything this year...a position group or two is gonna be as is, with maybe a FA or two added for depth...LB could be such a group, imo...and I love Cooper, with Colson and Gray also in my notes...but somethings gotta give...LB and TE may not see alot of draft atrention, imo
                    I think for this year - with the way the roster is and how much is needed - BPA/Talent will tip the scales slightly over trying to fill every need on the roster - especially if when picking, the draft board is such that there is a disparity in talent when each draft slot comes up

And though may want a high pick on OL - it could be that IDL and LB are the best players and OT is not drafted until Day 3
                    I am good with that - bring the right talent for the team identity this year

Comment

• Jack Burton
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I think 95% of this forum would melt down if we don't draft a wide receiver in the first round. Although I really like your first two picks, as well as a few others (Javon Baker and Cedric Van Pran, in particular), no offensive tackle at all would concern me.
                      Why would OT concern you?
                      Because Harbaugh did that odd, speech about offensive line being so important? What if they really like the O line guys they’ve inherited and always thought they were really good, and with their coaching would be even better? What if that whole public o line speech was just misdirection by Harbaugh so teams would take all these OTs high?
                      I could totally see Harbaugh just leading folks down one path, while the FO is on an entirely different path.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I could see it
                        3-4 Offensive weapons
                        4-5 more of both

11- Laiatu Latu DE UCLA
                        105 - Javon Baker WR UCF

I wouldn't melt down if the draft board at each of the first three picks are DE, DT and CB. Granted, Joe hasn't shared his rankings with me so can only go mock pundits like Dane Brugler or jeremiah abd his top 50

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Bagging on you...? I don't remember that. Were you suggesting @#5...? @#23, I'd be fine with Newton.
                          That's fine if Payton Wilson is DND for you. Bucky Brooks is the one that really likes Payton. I could take/leave him. His traits...
                          Colson has always been my guy (even before JH became the HC). Once the Chargers had a visit scheduled with Cooper... I started watching more Cooper tape. Then imagined him in Minter's scheme. I imagined him with Minter tutelage and discipline... I can see why they are considering @#23... along with 5 or 6 other teams.

Alt was always a plus run-blocker... the arguments otherwise were just mud-slinging. I get it... everyone want their boy and will trash other players to try and get their point across. I'm with Beach, Fuaga @#11. Dreams of Fuaga + Alt are just dreams. Fresh draft takes are always welcome.
                          I'd be completely fine with Newton at 11. A new era of Charger football builds from the inside out.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X