• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chargers8491
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Well we did sign a CB1, so I’d rank the other two higher, we got depth but no proven starters at NT and WR1.
    They did sign Poona Ford. I think people are sleeping on this signing. He is a perfect fit for Minter's defense. He only played in 8 games for the Bills last year because he was used in a rotation but prior to that he started 63 of 66 games for the Seahawks at DT where he was primarily as a pass rusher. He is also a good run stopper as well. He should thrive in Minter's defense and if he does there is a good chance he will be re-signed next year. He's 28y/o old and signed a cheap 1yr deal.
    1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
    2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
    2b- #37 Jenkins DT
    3a- #66 Puni OT
    3b- #69 Sainristill CB
    4a- #105 Rice WR
    4b- #110 Lloyd RB
    5- #140 Green CB
    6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Jack Burton
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Well we did sign a CB1, so I’d rank the other two higher, we got depth but no proven starters at NT and WR1.
      Yeah, so this is why I pointed this out.
      Some folks have an opinion that certain players are ranked in a position that others just don’t.
      I do not rank Fulton a CB 1 in any way. At. All.
      I’d say for CB, we got depth but only one true proven, starter worthy CB in Samuel. Fulton was atrocious in TENN. It’s why he’s 25 and on the Chargers.

WR. Same problem. One guy in Palmer with limited reps who might work out. Nothing proven behind him.
      Nobody.
      DT. Same problem. One guy who was a rotational, average player that they just signed, who’s done nothing special and nothing behind him. Nobody.

You could say this about LB too.
      You could say this about RB too.
      You could say this about C too.

What are the positions that are the most needy and why?

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

We signed vets - however you might value them - at all needed positions except one, WR. WR1 to be specific.

OG doesn’t have an add either. Don’t know why Salyer doesn’t get more positive mentions here as OT when he’s the only OL we have other than Slater who’s had positive reps at the position, without say Pip’s negatives.

Could we sign FAs post-draft at those two spots? Sure, at any spot really depending on how the draft goes. But hard for me to see, going into the draft, two positions that need an add more, the higher talent the better. Those would be my targets with the first two picks, very doable this draft, with the rest being BPA everywhere.

I’ll add the caveat that JH2 may have their sights on likely OG upgrades available day two, which would seem to go with Harbaugh’s penchant for coaching up OL, and freeing our second round pick for D.

So much conjecture, so few days remaining.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Yeah, so this is why I pointed this out.
          Some folks have an opinion that certain players are ranked in a position that others just don’t.
          I do not rank Fulton a CB 1 in any way. At. All.
          I’d say for CB, we got depth but only one true proven, starter worthy CB in Samuel. Fulton was atrocious in TENN. It’s why he’s 25 and on the Chargers.

WR. Same problem. One guy in Palmer with limited reps who might work out. Nothing proven behind him.
          Nobody.
          DT. Same problem. One guy who was a rotational, average player that they just signed, who’s done nothing special and nothing behind him. Nobody.

You could say this about LB too.
          You could say this about RB too.
          You could say this about C too.

What are the positions that are the most needy and why?
          I wrote it earlier - there is a long list of areas of need. With Bozeman though, I think IDL is the biggest pure need probably followed by WR, CB and LB. Take your pick. I think IOL is still needed, a pass catching TE, WR and OT depth. Chargers really cannot go wrong in the draft. More than likely - unless the board gets really sideways and quirky - they will kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Meaning, need will be filled and best player will be picked

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I would change the bolded part to, "draft the guys they think will be the best defensive players for them"

scoring defense seems to be one of the most common traits of Super Bowl winners, folks think it's sexier to out score other teams by investing in WRs etc...but the one thing that travels in the playoffs is defense, even running game doesn't travel as well...

if we want to see a Super Bowl win in the next 2-3 years they need to fix the defense, it all starts with either Dallas Turner or Jared Verse at #5...
            You win a Super Bowl by making it there first. Something this team hasn't been close to doing since the game when Rivers played injured at New England so many years ago. At least making it there would be big.

I'm pretty sure there are other good players besides Dallas Turner and Jared Verse. The positions that are most glaring are CB and WR.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I wrote it earlier - there is a long list of areas of need. With Bozeman though, I think IDL is the biggest pure need probably followed by WR, CB and LB. Take your pick. I think IOL is still needed, a pass catching TE, WR and OT depth. Chargers really cannot go wrong in the draft. More than likely - unless the board gets really sideways and quirky - they will kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Meaning, need will be filled and best player will be picked
              Henley should be ready to take over at LB at some point. He needs to be given a chance to see if he lives up to his drafting. Linebacker could use another player, but it isn't as bad as CB, WR, and IDL.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2023
                • Send PM

I’d listen to Popper guys. He’s in the know and he says RT isn’t this insane, huge need the way the media is portraying it.
                Everyone automatically agrees that this staff is going to make all these existing players at all these positions much better, But!! Not at RT!! No way. Pipkins sucks and he just sucks and thats it. He sucks. And Harbaugh can’t fix this one position but everywhere else he’s going to vastly improve those players. It’s kinda stupid to think this. Popper says that Salyer is also an option and he brings up these players strategically as if to say they don’t think the O line is this huge problem necessarily. They have a lot to work with. He also goes so far as to say the last regime did an admirable job of trying to get the oline in order and there’s plenty there for a new coaching staff to work with.
                He thinks from talking to the staff that WR is still a huge need and he mentions Bowers. The top 3 WRs are options and they consider them to be really, really good.
                Bowers is a player Roman wants and can use extensively in his offense.

CB is the biggest defensive need. Bad. His order of defensive need after listening and getting a feel for this new staff.
                1. Corner
                2. DT
                3. LB ( Only if the draft falls a certain way)

Staying at 5 unless they get multiple picks in this draft is also the sense he gets and they use that Jeremiah draft where they give up 5 for a 2025 2nd so the Jets can take MH2 and not getting anything this year aint happening. No way. 5 wil require a kings ransomkind of situation. Multiple 1’s etc, etc…

Byron Murphy is a possibility with Bowers at 11.

37 for Corum? Nope.
                RB is a 3rd or 4th round range. An some of these guys will fall into the 4th. 105-110 range.
                Keep your eye on RB Austin Estime, C Hunter Norzad, S Josh Proctor later…S is an underrated need late…
                Last edited by Jack Burton; 04-16-2024, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2023
                  • Send PM

Also. As to WR, they could get a Bowers early a WR in the 4th or 5th and then sign Boyd after the draft.
                  Popper mentions this in a round about way
                  They have options. Minimum one WR and a max of 2.
                  and they aren’t done by a long shot with QJ.
                  He says that it seemed like teams knew what route he was running before the play even happened.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post
                      I’d listen to Popper guys. He’s in the know and he says RT isn’t this insane, huge need the way the media is portraying it.
                      I'd like to upgrade RT, but I see OG and C as bigger needs currently. Move Salyer to RT or backup T and draft a real OG, maybe in rounds 2-3...

Comment

• Jack Burton
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'd like to upgrade RT, but I see OG and C as bigger needs currently. Move Salyer to RT or backup T and draft a real OG, maybe in rounds 2-3...
                        Yeah….Norzad is mentioned. Estime at RB….Proctor at FS. This defense plays a lot with 3 Safeties…Proctor plays FS, SS and…..nickel a lot…

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

You don't necessarily draft for needs now you draft for the future. Mack and Bosa will likely be gone next year. I'm not advocating drafting DE @ #5 but if it's their best player then they should do it.
                          with this roster, there is plenty of room to draft for now. almost everywhere you look, there is opportunity for now.

think of it this way - if our roof leaks, heater won't light, electrical breaker panel is shorted out, frig is on the fritz and all our food is spoiling, and we don't even have any liquid bath gel soap to take a goddamn civilized shower with and now we're scrubbing our bodies with ajax in the dark like concentration camp prisoners ... we don't devote this Saturday adding a lovely epoxy coating to our garage floor.

Fortunately - DE won't be the best player on the board at 5 - we all can see the board from here, we all know the Top 10 and maybe, maybe one DE is ranked between 8 and 10.

whew - dodged a bullet there. We'd feel like a bunch of stooges if we wake up Monday morning to a shiny epoxy garage floor, which we have to open the garage door to even see because the electricity is still out, and then go back inside and take another ajax shower in the dark.

I do like Verse though. dude is a maniac!
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X