• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

One of best pairs of EDs in league, one of best S, two solid starting corners, starting ILBs look solid, substantiallly better coaching.

This D looks middle of the pack at worst.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

will add that thinkin' that our run D could climb into the top 5 of the League, as they improved from over 5 YPC allowed in '022 to just over 4 YPC allowed in '023/last season.... w/the addition of Tuli & Kendricks, and w/the help of Khalil & Kenneth Murray.... now we've added Egboigbe, whose presence was noticeable for Alabama against the run, and Denzel, who greatly helped our run D when he played w/us last, and.... if Joey is healthy for a longer stretch, that bodes well as well.... personally suspect that our run D could improve by another half yard to 'round 3.5 YPC allowed ?? !!
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        I like this roster a lot. It’s not a SB winner, But I easily see 9 -10 wins. This O is built to win.
        I agree! I love what The Chargers have done in this off season. This will be a fun team to watch.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

LOL! I'll try not to bust your chops too much... I know you're having a hard time processing Joe Alt @#5.
          Not at all, bust away if you feel the need, I've given you props and congratulated you on making the call, you've also heard me say many times that I liked Joe Alt as a prospect and that I have always wanted this team to make serious investments in the trenches...would a trade down and more draft capital plus one of the other tackles been better, who knows? But just because I didn't think that Alt as a prospect wasn't that much better than some of the other Tackles doesn't mean that our GM and Coach were wrong for thinking that very thing, I'm hearing that other teams were also very high on Alt too so it wasn't just our people being high on him...the exciting thing about Alt is that he has the potential to become really special, he still hasn't maxed out his potential yet and he's already pretty damn good, he probably won't grow into his full "man strength" for another couple of years...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

One of best pairs of EDs in league, one of best S, two solid starting corners, starting ILBs look solid, substantiallly better coaching.

The team needs the different sides of ball to needs to play off each other. Running the ball better should make quite a difference. Plus the side effects of helping play action be better and keeping defense fresher.

Chargers are a solid bet to be in postseason this year.
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Not at all, bust away if you feel the need, I've given you props and congratulated you on making the call, you've also heard me say many times that I liked Joe Alt as a prospect and that I have always wanted this team to make serious investments in the trenches...would a trade down and more draft capital plus one of the other tackles been better, who knows? But just because I didn't think that Alt as a prospect wasn't that much better than some of the other Tackles doesn't mean that our GM and Coach were wrong for thinking that very thing, I'm hearing that other teams were also very high on Alt too so it wasn't just our people being high on him...the exciting thing about Alt is that he has the potential to become really special, he still hasn't maxed out his potential yet and he's already pretty damn good, he probably won't grow into his full "man strength" for another couple of years...
              Some journalist came up with the stat that Joe Alt is the 10th best OT prospect since 1987.

That's... 37 years.

So, okay, that means he's not Tony Boselli or Jonathan Ogden or Orlando Pace. But 10th best in the last 37 years is pretty rarified air.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

And we probably have the best triplets at ED in the NFL.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Any thoughts about how Special Teams will be any different under Harbaugh than what we saw last year? Yes, Ryan Ficken is the Special Teams coordinator, but he obviously will operate within a philosophical framework that Harbaugh provides.

Is Harbaugh known to be 'aggressive' in the sense of fake punts? Is J.K. Scott the right fit with the mindset that Harbaugh brings to the punting game?

For obvious reasons, they'll want to change as little as possible when it comes to Cameron Dicker. My tag for him is "The Barn Find". It's like they pulled the franchise's best PK *ever* out of a shed, out of nowhere! Manna from effing heaven!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

One of best pairs of EDs in league, one of best S, two solid starting corners, starting ILBs look solid, substantially better coaching.

I know coaching will make us better, but you could have said almost the exact same thing last year about the players. . . . . . . . . . . and yet

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                      will add that thinkin' that our run D could climb into the top 5 of the League, as they improved from over 5 YPC allowed in '022 to just over 4 YPC allowed in '023/last season.... w/the addition of Tuli & Kendricks, and w/the help of Khalil & Kenneth Murray.... now we've added Egboigbe, whose presence was noticeable for Alabama against the run, and Denzel, who greatly helped our run D when he played w/us last, and.... if Joey is healthy for a longer stretch, that bodes well as well.... personally suspect that our run D could improve by another half yard to 'round 3.5 YPC allowed ?? !!

Cmon now - top 5?? Let's slow the roll just a bit. I'd be more than happy with middle of the pack. Top 5 is for 2025's team . . . . . .

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                        Chargers are a solid bet to be in postseason this year.
                        The homer in me is yearning to agree with you.

The old man in me, who's seen this a thousand times before, won't be persuaded until questions at IDL, LB and CB get answered.

Linebacker has been a revolving door in recent seasons. Junior Colson does a lot to stabilize that, but it's all question marks, otherwise.

Craig Mager... ERRRR! I mean, J.T. Woods cannot, IMO, be counted on for ANYthing. At this point, if he turns out to be useful at all, that will be a bonus. But I don't envision a long leash from a new coaching staff that didn't choose him.

Other than at DE, there's a shortage of depth. A couple of key injuries, and the defense instantly becomes patchwork. Even Ben Herbert can't prevent broken legs and concussions.

So I'm setting my sights on "Marked Improvement". Not sure that there's a specific number of wins that translates to, but I'll know "marked improvement" when I see it.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Cmon now - top 5?? Let's slow the roll just a bit. I'd be more than happy with middle of the pack. Top 5 is for 2025's team . . . . . .
                          we're already in the top half.... and that's 1.3 YPC less than we allowed in the '022

top 5 is within our sites for the '024,

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-yards-per-rush-attempt
                          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Working...
                          X