• TABF
    Por debajo del promedio
    • Jun 2013
    • SoCal
    • Send PM

OT - Concussion Law Suit Settled

NFL, players reach proposed $765M settlement of concussion-related lawsuits

Originally posted by From above linked article
    The settlement likely means the NFL won't have to disclose internal files about what it knew, when, about concussion-linked brain problems. Lawyers had been eager to learn, for instance, about the workings of the league's Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee, which was led for more than a decade by a rheumatologist.
    Interesting...
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I don't think this is the last we hear about this, unfortunately. That's a lot of money going to help the former players, but probably not a lot in direct payments, so there may be individuals that may want to sue again. I think the plaintiffs feared that if it went in front a jury that they could lose because football is a voluntary activity, and may lose as they have no or little sympathy from the public, but the NFL also has very little sympathy for its place.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Just read that $675M will be going to payments to the players and their families. I think the players will get hosed in this deal.

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        Just read that $675M will be going to payments to the players and their families. I think the players will get hosed in this deal.
        I don't. I didn't think they were going to get a dime to be honest. It seems like a beneficial deal for the owners, but a lot of the players just wanted help with medical care. They should get that.

Comment

• SFW
          PB Official Game Thread Starter
          • Jul 2013
          • NY
          • USMC
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          I don't. I didn't think they were going to get a dime to be honest. It seems like a beneficial deal for the owners, but a lot of the players just wanted help with medical care. They should get that.
          The max an individual player can get is $5M. The amount each player gets will be determined by the diagnosis of a doctor. A doctor can recommend a player gets nothing or any amount up to $5M. Each player has 3 choices......A) opt in and take money B) opt out and continue lawsuit as individual or C) decide that he doesn't rate money and "settle" for no monetary value.
          1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
          2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
          3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
          4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
          5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
          6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
          7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
            The max an individual player can get is $5M. The amount each player gets will be determined by the diagnosis of a doctor. A doctor can recommend a player gets nothing or any amount up to $5M. Each player has 3 choices......A) opt in and take money B) opt out and continue lawsuit as individual or C) decide that he doesn't rate money and "settle" for no monetary value.
            Again, better than zero. The NFL could have just dragged this out for years. It's a decent compromise IMO for something I don't really even think the NFL had to do.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Surprise surprise, the NFL fudged data! For example, the Cowboys suffered NO concussions during the study.

NFL research intended to have a full account of diagnosed concussions from 1996 to 2001, but the data missed about 10 percent of concussions from that period, according to The New York Times.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                Surprise surprise, the NFL fudged data! For example, the Cowboys suffered NO concussions during the study.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15...injury-numbers
                Rich scumbags run the league, and I'm a sucker for supporting them.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein
                  Jerruh, "Well shit, son, I can't tell ya how many fingers you're holding up neither, and the only shots I took to my head came out of this bottle".
                  It was 2 fingers, and it was for a refill.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Appellate court approves... really the only winners here is the NFL/owners, and the lawyers for the plaintiffs. Ex-players got screwed. I hope the Seau Family continues their suit, but I think the league will bury it with cash.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                      Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                      • Send PM

The players deserve the payout but how do you prove the concusions from peewee,junior high, high school, college didn't contribute. It is football related not just NFL. How much money have Alabama,USC and Notre Dames Made off kids. Always strange how when the lawyers get involved the ones that have deep pockets get the blame. Don King must be nervous

Comment

• Savage Lizard
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Big Bear
                        • Self-employed property manager.
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                        The players deserve the payout but how do you prove the concusions from peewee,junior high, high school, college didn't contribute. It is football related not just NFL. How much money have Alabama,USC and Notre Dames Made off kids. Always strange how when the lawyers get involved the ones that have deep pockets get the blame. Don King must be nervous
                        Bingo. All these guys didn't start playing football in the NFL, they had years of hits before they got to that point. But the NFL has the cash, so of course they are the targets. The Seau family thing bugs me. Who signed Junior up for pee wee football? Who signed the permission slips for high school football?

Comment

Working...
                        X