• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rugger05
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

3 Chargers on Kipers 2016 Rookie Big Board

With Dak Prescott at quarterback and Ezekiel Elliott at tailback, this All-Rookie team's offense is going to be good. Here's who's catching passes from Prescott and creating holes for Elliott.
    Bosa is going to be a star
    Defensive tackle

Jarran Reed, Seattle; Michael Pierce, Baltimore

The overall group of rookie defensive tackles hasn't been great. My top-rated tackle, A'Shawn Robinson, has been just OK in the Lions' rotation. Reed has flashed among the Seahawks' defensive linemen, but what he does best doesn't show up on the stat sheet. He can control the line of scrimmage and is a phenomenal run defender. The 6-foot, 339-pound Pierce, meanwhile, has been a pleasant surprise on the interior for the Ravens. An undrafted free agent out of Samford whom I rated as my No. 30 defensive tackle, Pierce has two sacks in 149 snaps.

Outside linebacker

Elandon Roberts, New England; Leonard Floyd, Chicago

The Patriots think so much of Roberts that they dealt Jamie Collins to the Browns so Roberts could get some more snaps. The sixth-round pick from Houston has flashed potential in limited opportunities, and now he'll get full-time reps. Floyd, a pure speed rusher, has 3.5 sacks and a forced fumble for the Bears while dealing with a few smaller injuries. He needs to get stronger, but he has already shown that he can blow by blockers.

Inside linebacker

Jatavis Brown, San Diego; Deion Jones, Atlanta

Brown and Jones have been terrific. After replacing the injured Manti Te'o, Brown looks promising, and he leads the Chargers in tackles (54). The fifth-round pick was the MAC Defensive Player of the Year at Akron in 2015. Jones has been productive in the middle of Atlanta's defense. At 6-1 and 222 pounds, he's undersized, but he can play the pass. He has two interceptions, including a 90-yard pick-six.

Cornerback

Brian Poole, Atlanta; Jalen Ramsey, Jacksonville

I had to reach down deep for two cornerbacks because this class hasn't been particularly impressive -- yet. Ramsey has played a bunch of snaps -- 464 -- but he has been beaten too often. He's a truly gifted player with the size and speed to be an All-Pro defender, but he's not there yet. Poole, an undrafted free agent out of Florida, has played almost 400 snaps as the Falcons' nickelback, and has been just OK. Who would you put over him on this team? Not first-round picks Vernon Hargreaves III, Eli Apple or Artie Burns. I rated Poole as the No. 40 corner.

Safety

Karl Joseph, Oakland; Keanu Neal, Atlanta

After playing no defensive snaps in Weeks 1 and 2, Joseph took over as the Raiders' starting strong safety, and he has piled up tackles. He brings a fear factor to the defense as an explosive, controlled hitter. I thought Neal, who missed the first two games of the season because of a knee injury, might end up at linebacker, but he has been stellar playing a hybrid role. He has two forced fumbles.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker

Wil Lutz, New Orleans

This was between Lutz and second-round pick Roberto Aguayo, and Lutz (an undrafted free agent) has been better. Aguayo has missed five field goals and two extra points. Lutz has missed four field goals but is perfect on extra points.

Punter

Riley Dixon, Denver

Dixon gets the spot over Drew Kaser. Dixon is seventh in the league in net punting (42.2).

Returner

Tyreek Hill, Kansas City

Hill, one of the fastest players in the league, is returning kicks and punts for the Chiefs. And his role in the offense is becoming bigger -- he has 19 catches and four touchdowns.
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Kaser probably makes the list if he avoids the rough start. He's been stellar since the meltdown.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
      Kaser probably makes the list if he avoids the rough start. He's been stellar since the meltdown.
      Dixon also gets a ton of yardage in the thin Denver air.
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X