• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
    Brock Bowers: Our offensive system allows system TE's drafted in middle rounds be able to contribute. Bowers would excel.

Joe Alt: At the end of the day he's your day 1 starter and immediate backup at LT. Lowest risk imho.

Malik Nabers: Our new run offense stresses the front D. Nabers attacks that soft mid field with potential to cut outside in elite fashion. Only 20 years old too.

Odunze: A Keenan Allen clone with ability to beat press man and get down field.

Man hard to elect one at #5. I'd say Brock Bowers. Easy integration into the offensive system. Explosive and has better YAC than any of the big 3 WR prospects. Top NFL TE's get paid less than 20 mil. (14 mil range) so cheaper in long term. Provides a security blanket for Herbert against all out blitzes. Red Zone Weapon. Allows us to attain the elite combo of (QB + HC + TE + defense) which the latest couple of SB winning teams have these past few seasons.

Con: Unprecedented for TE to go #5 overall. Such a dude literally needs to have transcending talent beyond just a TE.
    Harbaugh was right...it's like we really do have the #1 pick.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Harbaugh was right...it's like we really do have the #1 pick.
      What team did Jim Harbaugh start his NFL career at? Where did Keenan Allen get traded to? That's where the number one pick is.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

What team did Jim Harbaugh start his NFL career at? Where did Keenan Allen get traded to? That's where the number one pick is.
        The unspoken line was "#1 non-QB pick". Which may or may not be accurate depending on what Ari does. The odds are excellent that #5 will be the 1st or second non- QB pick. Call him an optimist.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          I would LOVE to get the "first" of any defensive position (first CB, first edge, first DT).
          I cant sign off for edge at 11

We have Bosa, Mack, Tuli for edge currently. We have no WR1 No CB1. I could see a CB or Byron Murphy if you go defense first.

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Agreed, I think I would be fine with it.

The question then becomes, who do you ask to play RT? Alt or Slater? An embarrassment of riches at OT.
            Slater has earned more respect at his position than perhaps anyone on the team so you can’t just move him to RT as that would be humiliating unless he asked to move first.

So by default, Alt has to play RT if drafted and pay his dues.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

The general consensus seems to be Nabers, with Bowers coming in second.

I chose Odunze, who I think is a better fit than Nabers for the offense that Harbaugh is trying to build. The 'gun thing' in Nabers' past (even though the charges were dropped) has me a bit hesitant to commit to him. I also think Odunze would be better as a blocker; more physical overall. If we're transitioning to smash mouth football, guys (yes, even WRs) who can contribute to the blocking responsibilities would seem more valuable to the team, at least in my view.

Now, having said that, I must admit that I agonized a bit regarding Bowers, who I also think is a great fit for us in the new regime. Particularly after reading Fleet's "Bowers Manifesto" post. LOL! I would be happy with either him or Odunze. Honestly, it would be a bit of a let down for me if the choice was Nabers. I just have a bad feeling about him.
              Last edited by QSmokey; 04-18-2024, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• SK21209
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2020
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                The general consensus seems to be Nabers, with Bowers coming in second.

I chose Odunze, who I think is a better fit than Nabers for the offense that Harbaugh is trying to build. The 'gun thing' in Nabers' past (even though the chargers were dropped) has me a bit hesitant to commit to him. I also think Odunze would be better as a blocker; more physical overall. If we're transitioning to smash mouth football, guys (yes, even WRs) who can contribute to the blocking responsibilities would seem more valuable to the team, at least in my view.

Now, having said that, I must admit that I agonized a bit regarding Bowers, who I also think is a great fit for us in the new regime. Particularly after reading Fleet's "Bowers Manifesto" post. LOL! I would be happy with either him or Odunze. Honestly, it would be a bit of a let down for me if the choice was Nabers. I just have a bad feeling about him.
                I also every so slightly prefer Odunze to Nabers. I think Nabers is a fantastic weapon, but you can run an offense through Odunze. Would be thrilled if the pick was either of those two. I love Bowers but a TE at 5 is just too rich for me from an economic standpoint. Emphatically do not want Alt.

I'm starting to get the feeling that there won't be this huge demand to trade up to #4 or #5 to draft a QB. Only 13 guys are attending the draft in person, which is about half the number that attended last year. It seems like Levis falling to the second round last year and the constant cuts to him waiting in the green room has caused agents to tell their guys to stay home if they're not 100% certain he's going in the first round. McCarthy is not attending, which suggests to me he has not been promised by a team that he's their first round pick if he's on the board. In contrast, Darius Robinson is going in person and he's often not been mocked in the first round. That tells me a team near the end of the first round told him he's there guy if he's still available.

My suspicion is Caleb goes 1, Daniels goes 2 and Maye goes 3. The Cards take MHJ at 4, and it turns out the smoke about the Vikings trading up to #5 was more about the potential for Maye to fall if the Pats didn't want him. I think the Vikings stay put at 11 and see if McCarthy falls to them, or maybe one of the Vikings/Jets/Broncos makes a smaller trade up to 9 (Bears) or 10 (Jets) to get/stay ahead of the other two teams.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

I also every so slightly prefer Odunze to Nabers. I think Nabers is a fantastic weapon, but you can run an offense through Odunze. Would be thrilled if the pick was either of those two. I love Bowers but a TE at 5 is just too rich for me from an economic standpoint. Emphatically do not want Alt.

I'm starting to get the feeling that there won't be this huge demand to trade up to #4 or #5 to draft a QB. Only 13 guys are attending the draft in person, which is about half the number that attended last year. It seems like Levis falling to the second round last year and the constant cuts to him waiting in the green room has caused agents to tell their guys to stay home if they're not 100% certain he's going in the first round. McCarthy is not attending, which suggests to me he has not been promised by a team that he's their first round pick if he's on the board. In contrast, Darius Robinson is going in person and he's often not been mocked in the first round. That tells me a team near the end of the first round told him he's there guy if he's still available.

My suspicion is Caleb goes 1, Daniels goes 2 and Maye goes 3. The Cards take MHJ at 4, and it turns out the smoke about the Vikings trading up to #5 was more about the potential for Maye to fall if the Pats didn't want him. I think the Vikings stay put at 11 and see if McCarthy falls to them, or maybe one of the Vikings/Jets/Broncos makes a smaller trade up to 9 (Bears) or 10 (Jets) to get/stay ahead of the other two teams.
                  I tend to agree. There's been so much mocking us #11 and #23 that I think there are some that are in for a big disappointment (if that doesn't happen).

As for Bowers, if you think you're drafting a real difference maker, then you take the guy; I don't get the "#5 is too high for a TE" stuff. I realize that Kelsey was a later rounder, but his impact is pretty obvious. If Bowers can approach the kind of production that Kelsey has accumulated over the years, then #5 is decidedly *not* too high, for me at least.

Feel the same about Alt.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Other than that Charger coach instructing him at the combine, why Latham over Fuaga, wu-dai?

Are your spider senses tingling?
                    I'd be fine with either.

And having listened to the Money/Lorenzo/Brooks podcast, I am still not certain why your ass kicker on the right side has to be an RT, and not a guard.

Beebe fits the profile of a Harbaugh mauler, and you can get him in the 2nd round.
                    Getting warm, pbb.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I tend to agree. There's been so much mocking us #11 and #23 that I think there are some that are in for a big disappointment (if that doesn't happen).

As for Bowers, if you think you're drafting a real difference maker, then you take the guy; I don't get the "#5 is too high for a TE" stuff. I realize that Kelsey was a later rounder, but his impact is pretty obvious. If Bowers can approach the kind of production that Kelsey has accumulated over the years, then #5 is decidedly *not* too high, for me at least.

Feel the same about Alt.
                      In hindsight, who would argue Winslow and Gates weren’t worthy of #1 picks?

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Getting warm, pbb.
                        I'll be kinda surprised if we don't come out of this draft with a really good guard or interior lineman. Physicality & moving the pile comes more from your guards then your tackles.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

5. Taliese Fuaga.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X