• Show
Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Get him the record this week so they can move the Hell on.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
      All good points Rich, but in my layman observations I have seen PR go to his security blanket too often. PR will stare down Gates when he feels he needs a play. 3rd down or in the red zone or in critical moments he stares him down and tips his hand. That doesn't do either of them any favors.

I would rather see Gates go out while still considered a legitimate threat, then see him stick around just for some record or end up on IR.
      I haven't noticed Rivers staring down Gates. I do see him going to Gates in a lot of critical situations and for good reason as even the 2016 Gates is more reliable than most, if not all, of his other receivers. And even if Rivers did stare him down, that isn't a Gates problem, it would be a Rivers problem. Since Gates is under contract, wants to come back and it sounds like TT wants him back, I expect he'll be back.

Comment

• foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
        On a really good team like New England maybe, Chargers are not that. Rivers just relies on Gates too much and a good lineman would better benefit Rivers and allow Henry to develop.
        Damn you capitalist pig.
        Last edited by foreigner; 12-30-2016, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

I don't know what keeping Gates has to do with upgrading the OL. If a lineman is any good, they won't make it to FA, and even if they did, they usually play like crap once they sign with a new team.

I hope Gates comes back next year, but whether he retires of not, Henry becomes a much bigger part of the offense.

Comment

• BoltBacker
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Las Vegas, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I don't know what keeping Gates has to do with upgrading the OL. If a lineman is any good, they won't make it to FA, and even if they did, they usually play like crap once they sign with a new team.

I hope Gates comes back next year, but whether he retires of not, Henry becomes a much bigger part of the offense.
            Wasn't Slauson a free agent and he is not an all-pro but ended up being our best?

Comment

• BoltBacker
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Las Vegas, NV
              • Send PM

I may be overacting to Gates lack of value, he still is capable. It is just frustrating seeing an older vet stunting the growth of a younger player so he can get a record.

Hunter Henry may not be at the level yet but he is clearly ascending and I felt under utilized in the passing game.

Comment

• foreigner
                Tom Telesco is gone
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

I hope you didnt offend yourself. It was meant as a joke. You reminded me of those corporate bastards that only care about the profits.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
                  Wasn't Slauson a free agent and he is not an all-pro but ended up being our best?
                  He is, but it is also worth noting he is playing out of position and is not a great C. He is an improvement to our OL, but he was not being courted by a lot of teams. He also is nearing the end of his career.

You can sometime find some marginal influx of talent in FA, but we need more than a fill in the gap type guys like Slauson. We need to really upgrade LG and get Franklin out of the lineup, and then find a better C. Those guys may be Slauson moving to LG and Turek or Pulley at C.

And then there is the impending FA deal with Fluker and Dunlap....... The OL is a mess and needs to be fixed, but a couple of FA band aids is not going to cut it.

Gates has a cap figure of $5.5 million, which is really not that much, particuarly since he is still a good influence on Henry. If you look at the TE salaries for 2017, he is at the bottom of the decent receiving TE. Anyone who thinks he is being overpaid is simply ignorant. He is not being paid that much and he is still getting a lot of defensive attention, because he can still get open. He is not the impact player he once was, but he is a guy who can move the sticks, convert 3rd downs and get us into the end zone. He is also coming off his best season of blocking.

Comment

Working...
                  X