• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

The Spiller-situation is something to monitor, assuming there even is a situation.
    I'm not going to trash all over Staley/Moore just because they're not here but maybe there was a general mismanagement of assests.
    I expect Spiller to be given every chance to climb the RB depth chart but at the same.time, no automatic oyalty from Jim and company... basically, the way it should be for every 2023 Chargers still on the roster.
    I think that goes without saying, I'm not rooting against Spiller, from a size profile he fits the mold of what Harbaugh wants, thing is he doesn't always play like he's as big as he is and he seems to go down quickly and doesn't break tackles as much as he's more comfortable trying to make people miss...he'll get a shot but I do believe he'll have to play special teams like everyone else if he wants to make the team...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Jack Burton
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

If he’s gone, he’s gone! All we are doing here is speculating. Either way, he will get his shot to make the team, he won’t just be gone.
      You don’t bring in 2 FA RBs who already know the system and draft another RB, so the guy who can’t get on the field for the last 2 years can have a roster spot. That’s as big a statement as the FO can make as to you being gone.
      I’d get what you are saying if he had a career so far similar to Josh Palmer.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

You don’t bring in 2 FA RBs who already know the system and draft another RB, so the guy who can’t get on the field for the last 2 years can have a roster spot. That’s as big a statement as the FO can make as to you being gone.
        I’d get what you are saying if he had a career so far similar to Josh Palmer.
        They will not just cut him, he will compete for a spot. If he doesn’t make it, he doesn’t make it, but he will be given a shot.

Comment

• Jack Burton
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2023
          • Send PM

RB Kimani Vidal had 82 rushes for 1st down conversions last year.

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Yeah I guess I wouldn't count out Spiller just yet. Hard to judge anyone from the leftover stench of Staley and co.

I will say that I also wouldn't be surprised if JK Dobbins got released before the start of the season - I know we are all rooting for him but just not sure what kind of player he's going to be after all those injuries. All I'm saying is I don't think he's a lock, either. Really rooting for the guy, though.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Whydachargers?
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2023
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
              Yeah I guess I wouldn't count out Spiller just yet. Hard to judge anyone from the leftover stench of Staley and co.

I will say that I also wouldn't be surprised if JK Dobbins got released before the start of the season - I know we are all rooting for him but just not sure what kind of player he's going to be after all those injuries. All I'm saying is I don't think he's a lock, either. Really rooting for the guy, though.
              Yeah, I hear ya. Glad we got Vidal. I can see Vidal getting at least 20 rushes + receptions a game for us. I would put Dobbins on the early IR or PUP list to give him more time to heal from all the injuries and surgeries. His body could really use it it sounds like. Dobbins could be great for us in the second half of the season if totally healthy. And no way am I counting out Spiller just because Staley didn't use him much.

Comment

• Boltx
                Dominate the day
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Whydachargers? View Post

Yeah, I hear ya. Glad we got Vidal. I can see Vidal getting at least 20 rushes + receptions a game for us. I would put Dobbins on the early IR or PUP list to give him more time to heal from all the injuries and surgeries. His body could really use it it sounds like. Dobbins could be great for us in the second half of the season if totally healthy. And no way am I counting out Spiller just because Staley didn't use him much.
                Yeah Dobbins could be a crazy x factor late in the year if we are making a postseason push, especially if he rested the first 50-75% of the year.
                ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Whydachargers? View Post

They'll make IR / PUP decisions based on how they do in OTAs and training camp. Team doctors have already cleared them. We'll see if any soreness shows up during training.

Barring any flare ups, I think they'll limit snaps on Dobbins. https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...al-media-video

Gus had a good 2024.

I think they spread the carries around, use the depth too. 4 RBs IMO. Gus, JK, Vidal, Spiller or Dotson.

Comment

• eaterfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

I'm glad we didn't have to decide on who makes it today.

I'm excited for Vidal. I'm sure he and Gus make it. Beyond that, who knows?

Maybe the OL changes make Spiller good (doubtful, but not impossible).
                    Maybe Dobbins is hurt or too diminished to play. Maybe he's great. I'm excited to find out.
                    Maybe Dotson's breakaway speed is the explosive running this team needs. Maybe he's just not quite up to the NFL level yet.

Comment

• Whydachargers?
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2023
                      • Send PM

Here's an encouraging report on draftable/drafted RB's you want to listen to...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxcD5K6T7q4

He goes into Vidal at the 33:50 mark.
                      Last edited by Whydachargers?; 04-29-2024, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Spiller’s lack of carries has never made sense to me. Or lack of ST play? The team stunk and he still didn’t see playing time? Or get cut or PSed?
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

I wouldn’t consider 2 years under a shitty coaching staff, “for years”. Spiller is talented he is still young. I believe this coaching staff will give him a chance to prove himself.
                          Absolutely .... he looked better than decent in preseason - had that long td where he showed some break away speed.

This coaching staff was on the hot seat and they didn't experiment with new players.
                          The Spanos were considering firing him after the 2nd game.
                          It wasn't just Spiller: Hensley didn't play much on a defense that couldn't defend against the run or pass.

Comment

Working...
                          X