Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

In 2020, two moderately talented unknowns off the waiver wire were elevated to near legendary Charger deep threat status - for one season (& maybe a tad exaggerated). Guyton & TBilly combined for 48 catches, 910 yds, & 6 TDs. Not bad for part time vertical threat work. Maybe they won’t throw quite as much, but when they do, is it a stretch to think Rice & Corn are at least as talented as G & T were in 2020? Add in Ladd et al, and you suddenly have a decent group of pass catchers. Maybe not dominant, but highly effective.
    Makes me wonder if the Harbaugh regime would've cut TBilly if they had inherited him like the Staley regime did.

Back to QJ. He doesn’t have much choice but to work his ass off & come back stronger. What could be more motivating than 3 talented rooks (one named Rice), all gunning for your job? He absolutely can be better. How much is up to him, but he can be pretty damn good if he wanted.
    Absolutely spot on!

Comment

• Whydachargers?
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2023
      • Send PM

In 2020, two moderately talented unknowns off the waiver wire were elevated to near legendary Charger deep threat status - for one season (& maybe a tad exaggerated). Guyton & TBilly combined for 48 catches, 910 yds, & 6 TDs. Not bad for part time vertical threat work. Maybe they won’t throw quite as much, but when they do, is it a stretch to think Rice & Corn are at least as talented as G & T were in 2020? Add in Ladd et al, and you suddenly have a decent group of pass catchers. Maybe not dominant, but highly effective.

Back to QJ. He doesn’t have much choice but to work his ass off & come back stronger. What could be more motivating than 3 talented rooks (one named Rice), all gunning for your job? He absolutely can be better. How much is up to him, but he can be pretty damn good if he wanted.
      The Duck is cooking!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Thought I'd put this here

Brenden Rice RAS.jpg Cornelius Johnson RAS.jpg

CJ is marginally a better athlete. The production advantage Rice has over CJ can be (partially) attributed to the systems they played in and the QB's they played with. I think we're going to find these guys are closer in ability than expected . . . . . . . . . . . Camp will tell. Harbaugh knows exactly what he's getting with CJ

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Both are exponentially higher than 7th rounders any other year. Someone at the top better be paying attention (looking at you, Palmer..).

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I think the same is true for Palmer, and any returning WR. And I really like Palmer, just don’t want to hand anybody on this O not named Herbert a spot unchallenged. We’re not returning a SB team lol.
            Rice and CJ are not gunning for QJ’s job. These haters are hysterical. They are gunning for the DD, Guyton, etc roles at the back end of the 53 and I’m gonna bet only one of the 2 make the roster due to how crowded that room now is.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

The WRs would do well to support each other while they gun for attention from QBs, Marcus Brady, G-Ro and Harbaugh.
              DD is Ficken's #1 returner.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Rice and CJ are not gunning for QJ’s job. These haters are hysterical. They are gunning for the DD, Guyton, etc roles at the back end of the 53 and I’m gonna bet only one of the 2 make the roster due to how crowded that room now is.
                Don't speak for Rice:
                #AllFactsNoBrakes #NFL #CFB The all-new FOX Sports App, built for the modern sports fan: https://tinyurl.com/y4uouolb► UNDISPUTED’s YouTube channel: http://f...
                Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
                  Harbaugh knows exactly what he's getting with CJ
                  Are you Jim Harbaugh?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Are you Jim Harbaugh?
                    I don't have to be. CJ's played for him for (at least) the last 3 years.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I don't have to be. CJ's played for him for (at least) the last 3 years.
                      iirc, CJ has been at Michigan for 5 years.
                      to your point.
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Im reluctant to put too much expectation on a player that never got to #1 in his position group on his college team. Sometimes thats a mistake, especially if their #1 is a Top 10 pick. But UM had no Rd1 or Rd2, Wilson was taken in 3rd. CJ has some athletic gifts, let’s wish him best and give him a chance. Thats already a crowded WR room now, unclear if JH2 are serious about MVS addition too … as of now he looks like a PS reserve candidate but he’s got camp to move up from there.

The guys that signed as UDFAs to LAC (or their agents) are probably watching it all and thinking “well, fuck me”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          Let me rephrase, I didn’t say it right. I’m sure every player is “gunning” for a starter position so in that sense of course they are all gunning for Q, or JP, or DD, or whoever is in the starter group. Thats the basic competitive nature of mankind.

I don’t think they have a realistic chance to push Q or JP to backup - their real target is getting one of the backup roster spots and staying off PS list. but thats what camp is for, let them compete!

Comment

Working...
                          X