• Show
Clear All
  • Cdn Bolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Ontario , Canada
    • Send PM

2024 Draft Value : Pick # vs Rank

Note: Redid this chart using the consensus big board form 105 analysts vs CBS's which seemed faulty.

FYI I used the values where the player actually went vs where he was ranked to measure the numerical value in each pick. For ex Joe Alt was ranked at 7 but we got him at 5 so equal value. Positive is steal , -ve red a reach.

This is just a quick look to measure each pick FYI. BTW I thought we had a great draft and am just 'reporting the facts' as Joe Friday would say.

We did great on most picks w only 2 real reaches - Eboigbe may have been undervalued due to recent injuries and w Still they may have known more from experience against him in the Big 10 or he just fits better w what they want to do .

Rnd. Pick No. NFL team Player Pos. College Conf. Rank Value
    1 5 Los Angeles Chargers Joe Alt OT Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) 5 0
    2 34 Los Angeles Chargers Ladd McConkey WR Georgia SEC 31 3
    3 69 Los Angeles Chargers Junior Colson LB Michigan Big Ten 51 18
    4 105 Los Angeles Chargers Justin Eboigbe DT Alabama SEC 152 (47)
    5 137 Los Angeles Chargers Tarheeb Still CB Maryland Big Ten 265 (128)
    5 140 Los Angeles Chargers Cam Hart CB Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) 102 38
    6 181 Los Angeles Chargers Kimani Vidal RB Troy Sun Belt 196 (15)
    7 225 Los Angeles Chargers Brenden Rice WR USC Pac-12 106 119
    7* 253 Los Angeles Chargers Cornelius Johnson WR Michigan Big Ten 194 59
    Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 04-28-2024, 09:28 AM.
  • Rugger05
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

These are always interesting to me. Who determines value in these rankings? NFL teams do different things and depending on what scheme a teams runs they will value certain things higher than other teams. We all know the type of team Harbaugh wants to build. He wants his team to put the opposing teams dick in the dirt and for the opposing team will to break by the fourth quarter. I don't know why I even thought a WR would be the pick at 5 when I knew the type of team Harbaugh wants requires book end dominate tackles.

The only real reach is Still the CB from Maryland but after reading more about him and seeing one of his strengths is run defense you knew that Harbaugh/Minter would value that more than someone like Staley would. Plus with both of them being in the college ranks last year I will trust their judgement more than someone who "scouts" for a website.

Top to bottom this is the best draft I have ever seen the Chargers produce. Whether it is RAS freaks or pipehitter defenders this team is starting to shape up to what Harbaughs vision of what a team should look like.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Ontario , Canada
      • Send PM

I thought it was a great draft too. Other boards had some of the players ranked higher also ( Eboigbe and Junior Colson). I trust in their judgment as well, they must see more in Still than the NFL writers. These are the same guys who drafted CBs in BAL like Marlon Humphrey and Chris McAlister.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

Seems like McConkey and Rice are the only deals on that draft !

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Ontario , Canada
          • Send PM

The commentators covering the draft said teams more or less agree on the rankings of the top 100 players. After that it gets really subjective based on the team needs for a position and the scheme they are running. Many taken in lower rounds are based on how much they can also help special teams too.
          Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 04-28-2024, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Some of those rankings look way off - but it's all subjective.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
              I thought it was a great draft too. Other boards had some of the players ranked higher also ( Eboigbe and Junior Colson). I trust in their judgment as well, they must see more in Still than the NFL writers. These are the same guys who drafted CBs in BAL like Marlon Humphrey and Chris McAlister.
              It looks to me like there's a 'personality' that Hortiz & Co. are looking for, and drafting, that I'd sum up *this* way:

Work ethic, attitude, competitiveness, love of the game, and physicality.

The more guys like that you have on your roster, the more players are bringing the best out of each other.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

I think it's time to find a better chart...
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                  These are always interesting to me. Who determines value in these rankings? NFL teams do different things and depending on what scheme a teams runs they will value certain things higher than other teams. We all know the type of team Harbaugh wants to build. He wants his team to put the opposing teams dick in the dirt and for the opposing team will to break by the fourth quarter. I don't know why I even thought a WR would be the pick at 5 when I knew the type of team Harbaugh wants requires book end dominate tackles.

The only real reach is Still the CB from Maryland but after reading more about him and seeing one of his strengths is run defense you knew that Harbaugh/Minter would value that more than someone like Staley would. Plus with both of them being in the college ranks last year I will trust their judgement more than someone who "scouts" for a website.

Top to bottom this is the best draft I have ever seen the Chargers produce. Whether it is RAS freaks or pipehitter defenders this team is starting to shape up to what Harbaughs vision of what a team should look like.
                  So, back about 40 years ago Fidel Castro emptied Cuba’s mental institutions and sent them to America. They all ended up getting jobs assigning the draft value ratings as well as grading players for PFF.
                  Last edited by FoutsFan; 04-28-2024, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                    Seems like McConkey and Rice are the only deals on that draft !
                    I'm really curious to see how Greg Roman gets McConkey involved in the offense. There are a number of other prospects that I, personally, would have drafted ahead of McConkey, including Johnny Newton, Cooper Dejean, Jackson Powers-Johnson and Braden Fiske.

All of them went off the board within the next 10 picks, and seemed like excellent fits to gaping holes on the Bolts roster, so I'll be keeping an eye on their careers, relative to McConkey's.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Use another such as NFL Draft Scout and the numbers will be a lot different.
                      Then use another, it will be different again.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
                        FYI I used the values where the player actually went vs where he was ranked (CBS's big board) to measure the numerical value in each pick. For ex Joe Alt was ranked at 7 but we got him at 5 so pretty equal value of -2. Positive is steal , -ve red a reach.

This is just a quick look to measure each pick FYI.

We did ok on most picks w in the round or two and got really good value w Brenden Rice & Ladd Mcconkey .

Rnd. Pick No. NFL team Player Pos. College Conf. Rank Value
                        1 5 Los Angeles Chargers Joe Alt OT Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) 7 (2)
                        2 34 Los Angeles Chargers Ladd McConkey WR Georgia SEC 24 10
                        3 69 Los Angeles Chargers Junior Colson LB Michigan Big Ten 90 (21)
                        4 105 Los Angeles Chargers Justin Eboigbe DT Alabama SEC 159 (54)
                        5 137 Los Angeles Chargers Tarheeb Still CB Maryland Big Ten 273 (136)
                        5 140 Los Angeles Chargers Cam Hart CB Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) 186 (46)
                        6 181 Los Angeles Chargers Kimani Vidal RB Troy Sun Belt 233 (52)
                        7 225 Los Angeles Chargers Brenden Rice WR USC Pac-12 143 82
                        7* 253 Los Angeles Chargers Cornelius Johnson WR Michigan Big Ten 306 (53)
                        Weird, I like my tankathon ranking site and feel it's more accurate to the big picture. Colson was ranked 47th

Ranking of the top college prospects for the 2025 NFL Draft.

Our top 3 picks were drafted at or above their rankings...after that all our players picked were all over the board. If you were ranked above 100 you weren't even considered which is where personal scouting really comes into play.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                        X