• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThatSinkingFeeling
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Rankings will always differ but I think we got good value for our picks. Still seems a bit of a reach but maybe they valued his versatility such that they figured they'd save themselves a draft pick in taking him?

Still a bit puzzled they did not take a TE.

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Weird, I like my tankathon ranking site and feel it's more accurate to the big picture. Colson was ranked 47th

Ranking of the top college prospects for the 2025 NFL Draft.

Our top 3 picks were drafted at or above their rankings...after that all our players picked were all over the board. If you were ranked above 100 you weren't even considered which is where personal scouting really comes into play.
      Yeah. I thought Colson was good value.

Comment

• northerner
        Charger fan since '79
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
        FYI I used the values where the player actually went vs where he was ranked (CBS's big board) to measure the numerical value in each pick. For ex Joe Alt was ranked at 7 but we got him at 5 so pretty equal value of -2. Positive is steal , -ve red a reach.

This is just a quick look to measure each pick FYI. BTW I thought we had a great draft and am just 'reporting the facts' as Joe Friday would say.

We did ok on most picks w in a round or two of their chart value and got really good value w Brenden Rice & Ladd Mcconkey .
        Rnd. Pick No. NFL team Player Pos. College Conf. Rank Value
        1 5 Los Angeles Chargers Joe Alt OT Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) 7 (2)
        2 34 Los Angeles Chargers Ladd McConkey WR Georgia SEC 24 10
        3 69 Los Angeles Chargers Junior Colson LB Michigan Big Ten 90 (21)
        4 105 Los Angeles Chargers Justin Eboigbe DT Alabama SEC 159 (54)
        5 137 Los Angeles Chargers Tarheeb Still CB Maryland Big Ten 273 (136)
        5 140 Los Angeles Chargers Cam Hart CB Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) 186 (46)
        6 181 Los Angeles Chargers Kimani Vidal RB Troy Sun Belt 233 (52)
        7 225 Los Angeles Chargers Brenden Rice WR USC Pac-12 143 82
        7* 253 Los Angeles Chargers Cornelius Johnson WR Michigan Big Ten 306 (53)
        Thx for putting this together. I think some picks had different ratings on other sites, but this is still helpful to see. The only pick that felt weird at the time was the DL in round 4, but it sounds like we are betting against an injury risk.
        Last edited by northerner; 04-28-2024, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

It looks to me like there's a 'personality' that Hortiz & Co. are looking for, and drafting, that I'd sum up *this* way:

Work ethic, attitude, competitiveness, love of the game, and physicality.

The more guys like that you have on your roster, the more players are bringing the best out of each other.
          Chad Alexander has been with Joe Hortiz for 20 years. He was with him for guys like Humphry and McAlister.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ThatSinkingFeeling View Post
            Rankings will always differ but I think we got good value for our picks. Still seems a bit of a reach but maybe they valued his versatility such that they figured they'd save themselves a draft pick in taking him?

Still a bit puzzled they did not take a TE.
            They acquired two TEs this off-season, Hurst and Dissly. And Donald Parham exists.

Comment

• northerner
              Charger fan since '79
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

They acquired two TEs this off-season, Hurst and Dissly. And Donald Parham exists.
              true - it is a 3-step process:

1. initial free agency - lose guys and add guys.
              2. the draft
              3. second wave of free agency - to clean up loose ends after free agency and the draft.

also, i was excited about Parham 2 or 3 years ago and then he never developed. the freaky concussion against KC also set him back.

he had some horrible drops last season - easy balls.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

So...some are pointing out different rankings from different sites...here is a comparison using a consensus database, compiling hundreds of different Big Boards...

Name Pick Consensus Rank
                Alt 5 10
                McConkey 34 33
                Colson 69 64
                J.E. 105 143
                Still 137 272
                Hart 140 106
                Vidal 181 186
                Rice 225 111
                C. Johnson 253 200

So...first 3 bout right...some reaches....some steals...I'm good with it...
                Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Kylars
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Colson @ 90 is a terrible ranking. I have seen him as high (or is it low) the late 30s.

Beast has
                  Alt - 5
                  Ladd - 31
                  Colson - 42

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I'm really curious to see how Greg Roman gets McConkey involved in the offense. There are a number of other prospects that I, personally, would have drafted ahead of McConkey, including Johnny Newton, Cooper Dejean, Jackson Powers-Johnson and Braden Fiske.

All of them went off the board within the next 10 picks, and seemed like excellent fits to gaping holes on the Bolts roster, so I'll be keeping an eye on their careers, relative to McConkey's.
                    Why so curious? He's a polished route running slot receiver that will surprise DBs with long speed on play action for chunk plays...it's not rocket science it's just classic football, if the secondary is worried about getting it pounded down their throats then you stomp on their fucking necks with the long ball...not sure why you're having a difficult time visualizing this other than you liked other people more than McConkey...
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                      So...some are pointing out different rankings from different sites...here is a comparison using a consensus database, compiling hundreds of different Big Boards...

Name Pick Consensus Rank
                      Alt 5 10
                      McConkey 34 33
                      Colson 69 64
                      J.E. 105 143
                      Still 137 272
                      Hart 140 106
                      Vidal 181 186
                      Rice 225 111
                      C. Johnson 253 200

So...first 3 bout right...some reaches....some steals...I'm good with it...
                      What is funny...if you just shuffle around the picks...it lines up pretty good value wise...and if someone told me after the draft who we picked...but not when...this is how I would have ordered them...and it would have made a ton of sense...

1st. Alt
                      2nd. McConkey
                      3rd. Colson
                      4th. Rice
                      5th. Hart
                      5th. Eboigbe
                      6th. Vidal
                      7th. Johnson
                      7th. Still

Lol...I guess who cares how we got them or when...I'm pretty happy with the haul!
                      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Why so curious? He's a polished route running slot receiver that will surprise DBs with long speed on play action for chunk plays...it's not rocket science it's just classic football, if the secondary is worried about getting it pounded down their throats then you stomp on their fucking necks with the long ball...not sure why you're having a difficult time visualizing this other than you liked other people more than McConkey...
                        Xavier Leggette-- picked a few spots before McConkey was-- would have been a more prototypical fit because the Bolts are building a shove-it-down-your-throat offense in which receivers will be expected to block enthusiastically. Size matters. The players that I preferred would have addressed needs every bit as important as WR, Not sure why it seems odd to you, that I'd be comparing their careers, moving forward. I'll be doing the same thing with Malik Nabers-- measuring his impact, compared to the impact of Joe Alt.

Comment

• bman6555
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Outside Still there weren't any big reaches compared to most boards.

The difference in ranks is miniscule when you go down deeper in the draft. For example between a player ranked 250 vs 300 there is probably less difference than between 5 vs 10.
                          They did well on the top half of the draft right, which is where it counts. The bottom half is filling roster holes and taking shots on guys you think might become relevant.
                          Most of the guys from the 4th round and on aren't going to be on the roster more than 1-2 years.

Comment

Working...
                          X