• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltinloudguy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Something I just realized is that John Boy Spanos was not involved in any pressers during the draft. He was always there with Tolesco or doing individual interviews after each round or day. This is another sign of him taking a back seat in football operations/decisions. FINALLY!!!

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
      Something I just realized is that John Boy Spanos was not involved in any pressers during the draft. He was always there with Tolesco or doing individual interviews after each round or day. This is another sign of him taking a back seat in football operations/decisions. FINALLY!!!
      That is what we like to see. He sits in the draft room, talks to the picks and welcomes them to the Chargers and signs the checks. That is the role he was born for and should play. Not advising or scouting or anything like that.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
        From an article written by The Athletic's Bruce Feldman:

Jim Harbaugh’s first draft with the Chargers looks really good. The coach who had the best O-line in college football the past few years got the best offensive lineman in the draft in Notre Dame’s towering Joe Alt. The 6-foot-9, 321-pound Alt, who won’t turn 22 until after his rookie year, is a former tight end. That kind of athleticism shows up. At the NFL combine, he ran a 7.31-second three-cone drill that was the best among all offensive tackle prospects in Indianapolis.

“He’s as good as I’ve coached against in a long time,” a college defensive coach told me. “He’s athletic. He’s big. He’s strong. He moves his feet real well. He’s never in a bad position and he’s never on the ground. Some of these guys, you can get them moving. This dude always had his pads square and played with low pad level.”

The Chargers then addressed a need at receiver by trading up for Georgia’s Ladd McConkey at No. 34. He’s probably the best route runner in the draft. He’s primarily a slot receiver but is very sudden and fast. He also probably would have put up bigger numbers in college had Georgia not had the great Brock Bowers. The Chargers lost linebackers Eric Kendricks and Kenneth Murray this offseason, so it made sense for Harbaugh to draft Michigan’s Junior Colson, a smart, tough, three-down mike linebacker who can handle running the defense. Notre Dame cornerback Cam Hart is a toolsy player at 6-3, 202 pounds with 33-inch arms and an 11-foot broad jump guy. He represents good value in the fifth round.

A dozen thoughts on how the 2024 NFL Draft unfolded after weeks of phone calls and texts with coaches and scouts.
        Since Alt is a former TE, how about using him occasionally as a TACKLE-ELIGIBLE receiver!!!

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Ontario , Canada
          • Send PM

FYI Using the consensus big board and where players actually went, here is the Avg Steal/reach for each team for all their picks . We did really well, 6th overall.

Avg/pick
          NFL team Steal /(Reach)
          Miami Dolphins 22
          Kansas City Chiefs 15
          Tennessee Titans 13
          Detroit Lions 10
          Philadelphia Eagles 7
          Los Angeles Chargers 5
          Los Angeles Rams 4
          Denver Broncos 3
          New Orleans Saints 3
          Cincinnati Bengals (2)
          Pittsburgh Steelers (3)
          Baltimore Ravens (3)
          Dallas Cowboys (3)
          Las Vegas Raiders (3)
          Cleveland Browns (6)
          Chicago Bears (7)
          Green Bay Packers (8)
          New York Jets (10)
          Buffalo Bills (10)
          New York Giants (11)
          Seattle Seahawks (11)
          Carolina Panthers (13)
          Tampa Bay Buccaneers (16)
          Houston Texans (17)
          Washington Commanders (20)
          New England Patriots (22)
          San Francisco 49ers (26)
          Minnesota Vikings (26)
          Arizona Cardinals (27)
          Indianapolis Colts (32)
          Atlanta Falcons (37)
          Jacksonville Jaguars (46)

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
            I’m giving a conditional A- currently, which isn’t worth a bucket of spit and nobody cares about besides me.

Unconditioned A-
            First 3 picks are solid A grade, period, no discussion needed. Elite players at positions of need is an A. Experts can all just shaddup they are butthurt we didn’t draft Nabers, that is no reason to give the best OT in the draft a B or B+ grade, its frankly immature. Just assuming 2 other players from Day 3 can play, thats an A- grade overall. Rice will be one, so odds are high the overall draft is at least A-.

Conditions to get A:
            1. Egbioge is not an injury casualty early and often. He’s a hella player if he can actually play, if he can’t its a bad pick as there were flashing red warning lights
            2. Still and Hart are decent CBs at the NFL level - one of them sees significant snaps this year, other ST contributions. I didn’t scout either, not on my radar to get down past the 150’s. Still just a hobby over here
            3. Vidal can translate his Troy performance against scrubs to NFL Level. I agree with one observer that many of his great runs were against JuCo level of skill at times and I can’t project it very well - he’s got some speed at 4.46

I withhold A+ only due to the last pick of Johnson. 3 WRs in a draft is an over-allocation, I would have used that last pick on a Leonard Taylor or other trench project potential player instead. I look forward to young Cornelius proving me 100% wrong. Retroactive A+ can be awarded in 2 yrs.
            I also initially thought 3 wideouts was a bit much...but...maybe Trader Joe is toying with the idea of letting Palmer go when his deal runs out at the end of this season...then collecting a comp pick...this was his M.O. in Baltimore...Palmer is solid, but is he worth an expensive second deal, when Hortiz can keep finding mid or late round potential gems? And what about QJ? Can he lose the butterfingers? Hope so, but if not, we now have one starter in Our Ladd and 2 hungry wideouts waiting in the wings...I think Trader Joe would rather have WR replacements groomed and ready to go as a backup plan for next season...AND Hortiz is big on building depth in case of injury...so I think those 3 wideouts is a combo of all of the above...

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              I’m giving a conditional A- currently, which isn’t worth a bucket of spit and nobody cares about besides me.

Unconditioned A-
              First 3 picks are solid A grade, period, no discussion needed. Elite players at positions of need is an A. Experts can all just shaddup they are butthurt we didn’t draft Nabers, that is no reason to give the best OT in the draft a B or B+ grade, its frankly immature. Just assuming 2 other players from Day 3 can play, thats an A- grade overall. Rice will be one, so odds are high the overall draft is at least A-.
              not sure what your definition of maturity is, or why you have such a hard time stating your opinion without taking a dig/swipe at somebody/others, and....

know thyself.... the definition of maturity as per the Temple of Delphi

also not sure what your definition of elite is as not sure Alt is better than the all of quite a few recent draftees....

Fashanu, Fuaga, Fautanu, Paris Johnson, Darnell Wright, Skoronski, Broderick Jones, O'Cyrus Torrence, Tyler Smith, Linderbaum, Zion Johnson

Penei, Rashawn, Darrisaw, Teven Jenkins, Creed Humphrey, Trey Smith.... ??

personally, not only would I have selected a different OT, woulda liked to have traded down as well, and....

you're right.... you're just assuming he's the best OT in the draft.

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I also initially thought 3 wideouts was a bit much...but...maybe Trader Joe is toying with the idea of letting Palmer go when his deal runs out at the end of this season...then collecting a comp pick...this was his M.O. in Baltimore...Palmer is solid, but is he worth an expensive second deal, when Hortiz can keep finding mid or late round potential gems? And what about QJ? Can he lose the butterfingers? Hope so, but if not, we now have one starter in Our Ladd and 2 hungry wideouts waiting in the wings...I think Trader Joe would rather have WR replacements groomed and ready to go as a backup plan for next season...AND Hortiz is big on building depth in case of injury...so I think those 3 wideouts is a combo of all of the above...
                if The Great Cornholio shows he's a legit NFL WR, I'll upgrade the overall grade. They said he was the best remaining player on their board but when do they not say that, really? I'm still scratching my head to figure out how Taylor dropped entirely out of the draft - apparently there's something every team didn't like as he was rated in the mid-100's all pre-draft (Rd 4) by most "experts". Given how thin we are at IDL, seemed like a good Rd7 flier.

Maybe next year my dream of a dominant interior DL player will come true - I've only dreamed of it for about 20 yrs ... I remember 'Mal. I watch Jones ... I get it. Can't get it all in one draft, understand.

Rice is a steal imo. his USC tape speaks for itself imo.

-----------

(homage to the great B&B OG Cornholio)

paper toilet GIF
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

This was Walter's blurb on Taylor ...

The field workouts at the NFL combine are the visible aspect of the process, but for many franchises around the league, the team interviews are more important part than the field workout. Players can climb if they interview well or get themselves ruled out with poor interviews. One talented player who needs to ace the interviews is Miami defensive tackle Leonard Taylor. Team sources from around the NFL said that while Taylor has a nice skill set, they had given him a late-round grade because of his football character.

Sources said Taylor has a bad work ethic and doesn’t love football. That’s what they shared they saw, and it sounds like that was confirmed in conversations with staff from Miami. Taylor flashed as a freshman and sophomore with the Hurricanes, but he did not play up to his skill set. In 2023, he recorded 20 tackles and one sack. That was after recording 24 tackles and three sacks during 2022. At 6-foot-3, 305 pounds, Taylor has good quickness and athleticism to go with pro size.

There are plenty of teams in the NFL that are in the market for defensive tackle help, and it can be difficult to find quick interior defensive linemen. Hence, I have Taylor sneaking into Day 2 of my latest 2024 NFL Mock Draft. However, Taylor could easily slide. Some teams have given him late-round grades based on his football character, and a number of sources said they think their teams might drop him off their boards before the 2024 NFL Draft.

Comment

• Icebolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2023
                    • Send PM

Draft grades are......as dumb as most mocks. Very people people go back 3 years to see if the grades match the outcome. If that were so whey were the Chargers so bad? Because of BAD draft ( and coaching ).

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Everyone has their own opinion and mine is we crushed this draft.

I'd rather have Alt and McConkey than Nabers and Paul/Fisher/whoever else you liked at tackle in round 2.

Got a couple of steals in Colson and Rice.

Added a couple of corners - love the Hart pick, but will admit I never even heard of Tarheeb before).

We took a bit of a gamble on Eboigbe and his neck, but he played all last year with no restrictions and if his neck is ok, he is a steal in the 4th round.

We drafted 3 WR so we have competition, and our depth is much better than in years past. It also sets us up for the possibility of letting Palmer walk after the season and getting a compensatory pick, not to mention insurance as he has been nicked up a bit.

We now potentially have 3 RB who are better runners than Ekeler ever was (though his production catching passes was elite).

We addressed virtually every hole we had, aside from developmental center (and he may already be on our roster).

Will they all pan out? Odds are certainly against it but one thing I do know - if the don't work it, it won't be because the coaching staff doesn't know how to develop them and coax the most out of them. I expect some of the young players on the roster also step up.

In Harbaugh and Hortiz I trust.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        Everyone has their own opinion and mine is we crushed this draft.

I'd rather have Alt and McConkey than Nabers and Paul/Fisher/whoever else you liked at tackle in round 2.
                        AGREE

Got a couple of steals in Colson and Rice.
                        AGREE

Added a couple of corners - love the Hart pick, but will admit I never even heard of Tarheeb before).
                        I don't know them yet, have to study up. behind the curve here.

We took a bit of a gamble on Eboigbe and his neck, but he played all last year with no restrictions and if his neck is ok, he is a steal in the 4th round.
                        AGREE - STEAL if he isn't injury scratch

We drafted 3 WR so we have competition, and our depth is much better than in years past. It also sets us up for the possibility of letting Palmer walk after the season and getting a compensatory pick, not to mention insurance as he has been nicked up a bit.
                        AGREE - BETTER THAN '23

We now potentially have 3 RB who are better runners than Ekeler ever was (though his production catching passes was elite).
                        AGREE

We addressed virtually every hole we had, aside from developmental center (and he may already be on our roster).
                        Not sure 1 IDL is enough

Will they all pan out? Odds are certainly against it but one thing I do know - if the don't work it, it won't be because the coaching staff doesn't know how to develop them and coax the most out of them. I expect some of the young players on the roster also step up.
                        Every one of them will pan out

In Harbaugh and Hortiz I trust.
                        100%
                        My comments in red - we seem well aligned

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Since Alt is a former TE, how about using him occasionally as a TACKLE-ELIGIBLE receiver!!!
                          That’ll be fun. He just needs to make sure the refs announces it when he reports during a critical game.

Comment

Working...
                          X