• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Okay, so using round 4 and afterwards as a yardstick for starters, let's review TT's record...I have highlighted mostly solid starters in blue and spot starters and rotational guys in red. Some of the "solid starters" were starting but were below average quality, like Sam Tevi. And some of the guys in red really excelled at times. DD has been a solid returner. One thing that really stands out to me is that TT really whiffed on his first 3 drafts in round 4 and afterwards. And the only real solid starters in the past 5 years in round 4+ are Gilman and Tranq. And now Tranq is gone. You would expect to hit on a few more of these for starters:

image.png
    image.png
    image.png
    With a fair number of these guys, I think it's too generous to say they 'contributed'. I mean... some of these guys got playing time, but they weren't any good,

Joshua Perry, Ryan Carruthers, Brenden Jaimes, Steve Williams, Tourek Williams, Emeke Egbule, Cortez Broughton, Joshua Kelley... Man, that's a lot of collective non-production.

Parenthetically, the Bolts poor later round drafting history helps explain why they've seemingly signed a disproportionately high number of UDFAs who turn out to be productive-- There's ROOM on the roster for UDFAs when so many of your draft picks tank!

Additionally, while UDFAs like Antonio Gates and Kris Dielman rate legitimate praise, UDFAs like Jacques Cesaire and Jahleel Addae do NOT. That the latter two had extended stints with the Chargers is evidence of just how long the team had serious depth problems at their positions.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

2013 through 2019. Five players on this current team. Five. Out of 46 selections. That seems awful.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Other teams, wonder what their hit rate is?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Okay, so using round 4 and afterwards as a yardstick for starters, let's review TT's record...I have highlighted mostly solid starters in blue and spot starters and rotational guys in red. Some of the "solid starters" were starting but were below average quality, like Sam Tevi. And some of the guys in red really excelled at times. DD has been a solid returner. One thing that really stands out to me is that TT really whiffed on his first 3 drafts in round 4 and afterwards. And the only real solid starters in the past 5 years in round 4+ are Gilman and Tranq. And now Tranq is gone. You would expect to hit on a few more of these for starters:

image.png
          image.png
          image.png

Many of those guys you circled did in fact play but that was also because TT didn’t build good rosters and they had to play. they didn’t play as well as their opponents and were out-manned far too often.

I loved Tranq when we watched his first PS, I coined the term Tranq Gun - saw the guy was a flat out baller. Couple years in the BS system and he turned into a flailing LB mess. Every LB in BS system regressed or never developed, its clear in hindsight.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• LarryAW
            Chargers fan since 1970
            • Sep 2018
            • Chula Vista, CA
            • retired paralegal/court reporter
            • Send PM

image.png
            image.png
            image.png

IIRC, Tevi switched from the DL to the OL in college. So, at least Tevi was a 6th round project, rather than a 2nd or 3rd round project.

My ego mind remembers that, but not that Perryman was a 2nd round pick.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

IIRC, Tevi switched from the DL to the OL in college. So, at least Tevi was a 6th round project, rather than a 2nd or 3rd round project.

My ego mind remembers that, but not that Perryman was a 2nd round pick.
              Not just Perryman, but... Attaochu... and Manti Te'o... All were 2nd Round picks, but none lived up to his drafted position.

Perryman had a hard time staying healthy, and got exposed in pass coverage, because he's never been as fast as the guys he's covering.

Te'o? Just too slow and not productive.

Attaochu? Awesome athlete, but not instinctive, and lacked the 'love of contact' that almost every *real* football player has.

That was some prime draft capital squandered by Telesco. And other than his selection of Keenan Allen in the 3rd round... did Telesco *ever* have a solid 3rd round pick?!?

You can't build a playoff caliber team when missing so frequently on Day 1 and Day 2 draft picks.

Comment

• LarryAW
                Chargers fan since 1970
                • Sep 2018
                • Chula Vista, CA
                • retired paralegal/court reporter
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Not just Perryman, but... Attaochu... and Manti Te'o... All were 2nd Round picks, but none lived up to his drafted position.

Perryman had a hard time staying healthy, and got exposed in pass coverage, because he's never been as fast as the guys he's covering.

Attaochu? Awesome athlete, but not instinctive, and lacked the 'love of contact' that almost every *real* football player has.

That was some prime draft capital squandered by Telesco. And other than his selection of Keenan Allen in the 3rd round... did Telesco *ever* have a solid 3rd round pick?!?

You can't build a playoff caliber team when missing so frequently on Day 1 and Day 2 draft picks.
                No argument from me. Wanted Telesco gone a long time ago.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Josh Palmer?
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Josh Palmer?
                    Yep. Alas, TT’s success with JP in Rd3 (who was a reach but turned out to be a solid player) is forever tarnished by the fact he also took McKitty in Rd3 same year. It transforms his apparent good pick to questionable random blind luck lol.

monkeys and dart boards … TT was NOT this guy:

darts win GIF
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

With a fair number of these guys, I think it's too generous to say they 'contributed'. I mean... some of these guys got playing time, but they weren't any good,

Joshua Perry, Ryan Carruthers, Brenden Jaimes, Steve Williams, Tourek Williams, Emeke Egbule, Cortez Broughton, Joshua Kelley... Man, that's a lot of collective non-production.

Parenthetically, the Bolts poor later round drafting history helps explain why they've seemingly signed a disproportionately high number of UDFAs who turn out to be productive-- There's ROOM on the roster for UDFAs when so many of your draft picks tank!

Additionally, while UDFAs like Antonio Gates and Kris Dielman rate legitimate praise, UDFAs like Jacques Cesaire and Jahleel Addae do NOT. That the latter two had extended stints with the Chargers is evidence of just how long the team had serious depth problems at their positions.

Looking at these draft classes just makes me soooo happy TT's no longer calling the shots. SO many misses . . . . . . . .

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                        Let's do this!
                        • Aug 2022
                        • Raleigh N. Carolina
                        • Send PM

So we can all agree that Telesco was a horrible GM and at draft evaluation?

I didn't know this was still up for debate..

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yep. Alas, TT’s success with JP in Rd3 (who was a reach but turned out to be a solid player) is forever tarnished by the fact he also took McKitty in Rd3 same year. It transforms his apparent good pick to questionable random blind luck lol.

monkeys and dart boards … TT was NOT this guy:

darts win GIF

Passing up on Amon Ra St. Brown for Palmer, who played at the local University, didn't bother you D-Mac?

Telescos heavily scouted USC/UCLA players, and yet missed the old dart board entirely on that one.

Fun Telesco fact:

In his 12 Charger drafts, Telesco devoted one entire draft to Domers, 1 entire draft to Horn Frogs, and one entire draft to locals.

That small pond would make even Brandon Staley protest.

Comment

Working...
                          X