• Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

10. Dontari Poe, NT, Kansas City Chiefs
    Kansas City has some choices to make this offseason, with both safety Eric Berry and nose tackle Dontari Poe slated to hit the open market. My hunch is that they will choose to retain Berry and let Poe walk, given his regression from being one of the game’s top nose tackles back in 2013. At 346 pounds, his pass-rush has never been much of a factor, but the Chiefs have consistently kept him on the field for 74 percent of defensive snaps or more over his career. His run defense has been good in two of the past four seasons, but entirely average in two others. In order to be worth the kind of big-money contract Damon Harrison got from the Giants a season ago, Poe needs to show that he is a guaranteed monster in that area, and he hasn’t been to this point in his career.
    The thing about his pass rush never being a factor is not true about Poe. He was actually a much better inside pass rusher then he has ever been a run stuffer. in 2013 he got 4.5 sacks and 6.0 in 2014, which is a bunch considering he has trouble redirecting because of his size. He really was a good penetrating, disruptive DT. HE had a lot more plays where he forced RB and QB to bail out and run for their lives. He just never was the immovable force that his size suggests. KC has always been fairly easy to run against, even right at him.

He has just not been the same player after he had his back surgery 2 years ago. This year, his run defense was kinda a joke, and he didn't add anything as a pass rusher.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Im wondering if JPP would be cheaper than Ingram. He might be a perfect fit at Leo. Allows us to take a Safety in the 1st and then look at SAM in the 2nd. Maybe a guy like McKinley in the 2nd. Or TJ Watt.

So Draft/Free Agent packages would be like this with Ingram or JPP.

Ingram UFA/SAM - Solomon Thomas (1st Round)/Leo - Buddah Baker FS/(2nd Round)

Or

JPP UFA/Leo - Takarrist McKinley/TJ Watt(2nd Round)/SAM LB - Jamal Adams S/(1st Round)

What i really love about Thomas is the fact he and Bosa have the hands to play inside. So essentially you could put Ingram at Leo and Attaochu at SAM in some packages. You get Bosa(DE), Ingram(DE), Thomas(DT), Attaochu(OLB) rushing the passer on all out blitzes.

In a scenario where Adams/Thomas/Hooker are gone.....and with a JPP signing. Sign Whitworth at LT. Leary/Zeitler at OG. Move Dunlap to RT.

Comment

• CTrout
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Dolphins reportedly releasing Branden Albert.
        Is he a better option then King??

Comment

• Rugger05
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Jax is not picking up the option for their starting LT. Gus would have some insight to him

The Jaguars decided to not pick up the option for left tackle Kelvin Beachum, which means they probably have a plan for the position. ...Right?

In a surprising move the Jacksonville Jaguars decided to not pick up the option of left tackle Kelvin Beachum. Most assumed the Jaguars would pick up the deal, because the cap hit and salary was about mid-level for an NFL left tackle and Beachum showed promising signs coming off an ACL injury. While Beachum wasn't a shut down left tackle, he was good enough and wasn't a turnstile at the position like the team has had the past few seasons and in the current iteration of the NFL, a solid left tackle is more than good enough to win with.

Obviously, the Jaguars have a plan going forward for the position else they wouldn't have decided to not pick up the option. I mean, right? They wouldn't willingly create another huge void of a need on a team with quite a few needs without a plan in place to fix it right?

Far be it from me to defend the Jaguars and give them the benefit of the doubt, but to me I don't think you make this move unless you have something in the works to fill the hole. It's entirely possible the Jaguars and Beachum will simply just agree to a new deal that will have some guaranteed money in the first few years or a new signing bonus, since Beachum showed he was healthy in 2016, else it's a very curious move.

The best left tackles that might hit free agency are Andrew Whitworth, Matt Kalil, Ryan Clady, and Riley Reiff. Whitworth is unlikely to actually hit free agency and I'd argue that Beachum is as good or better than the other three players. The NFL Draft isn't likely to provide a good starter at the position either, as it's viewed as a week draft for left tackles and the best one might actually be better off as a right tackle.

It's a curious move for a bad football team in need of talent, but surely they have to have a plan to have made the move.

Right?

Comment

• CTrout
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I wanted them to sign Beachum the other year when he became a FA. One of the more underrated OTs...imo.

Okung is another vet OT rumored to be released.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I agree he is one of the more underrated FA, but he is not a great run blocker. Better pass blocker than most give credit for.

Again, if we sign a FA LT, then moving King to RT upgrades us at 2 spots, although it still leaves the biggest weakness at LG.

Comment

• Attack
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                I think we have to get Ingram under contract. Go Leo(Pass Rush) in the 1st or 2nd. If Hooker or Adams is gone look for a guy like Thomas or Barnett. Maybe Garrett drops. Ingram will be a SAM LB in Bradleys D. Bosa, Ingram and Thomas would be a deadly pass rush. As well as stout run defending front. I think Hooker and Adams could be gone so that would be my plan B. Go FS round 2. Unless there is good value OT there. I can think of 3. If we do draft S in the 1st id look to add a guy like Taco Charlton in the 2nd. He may even be able to move inside in 4 man down fronts. We may need more speed at the Leo position however. I do expect guys like Charlton and Thomas to time slow though. For how deep this draft is defensively there isnt going to be many speed rushers. This is a power draft on the DL. McKinnley will time well. Some of the smaller OLB prospects.

10 yard split and 3 cone will tell alot about these bigger DE's. Bosa was amazing.

Pass on Jordan Mills from Buffalo. Mills surrendered eight sacks and 57 total QB pressures over 596 pass-blocking snaps this season, fourth-most of any tackle in the game.

I agree that Ingram needs to be retained, but right now would rather franchise tag him for the 2017 yr instead of signing to a long term deal. And if winning LA is truly what the team wants to do, keeping Ingram for this season seems to be in their best interest. Not convinced that he's worth a long term deal for $12M-$14M+ per yr. Would look to draft a first round DE/pass rusher (on board with Solomon Thomas if he's there), and if Thomas pans out, it wouldn't hurt to lose Ingram after next season.

The team I'd relish beating the most is the Pats and Brady. The only way to beat Brady is to pound him like the Giants did twice in the Super Bowl. So, continuing to build toward a dominating defense with a great pass rush is my preference.

Making a few changes on the offensive line, whether that is via free agent additions coupled with if Tuerk and/or Clark can play, and the offense should be good enough to win. Whitworth is going to cost a fortune, so I don't see him being viable for the LT spot.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post
                  I agree that Ingram needs to be retained, but right now would rather franchise tag him for the 2017 yr instead of signing to a long term deal. And if winning LA is truly what the team wants to do, keeping Ingram for this season seems to be in their best interest. Not convinced that he's worth a long term deal for $12M-$14M+ per yr. Would look to draft a first round DE/pass rusher (on board with Solomon Thomas if he's there), and if Thomas pans out, it wouldn't hurt to lose Ingram after next season.

The team I'd relish beating the most is the Pats and Brady. The only way to beat Brady is to pound him like the Giants did twice in the Super Bowl. So, continuing to build toward a dominating defense with a great pass rush is my preference.

Making a few changes on the offensive line, whether that is via free agent additions coupled with if Tuerk and/or Clark can play, and the offense should be good enough to win. Whitworth is going to cost a fortune, so I don't see him being viable for the LT spot.
                  Im on board with what you are saying. It may be smart to tag Ingram considering our luck with big contracts. My plan on the OL....and we need to do something bad...would be to bring in Whitworth and put him at LT. Move Dunlap to RT if he stays. Leary is another guy i really like at OG and we could move Slauson to OG and Tuerk at Center. But in my mind i wouldn't be surprised if Tuerk could play all the positions to the right of the LT. So he may be able to play RT when needed. Fluker can compete with those guys but he will need to be extended to drop his cap hit. It gives us 5 pretty versatile interior players. 2 that play Center. A couple that can play RT in a pinch. Cut Franklin. Id probably even eat Barksdales money. I just want him off the team. He sucks and annoys me.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

They can't tag Ingram. His salary would be around 15 mil which all of it goes against the cap if I'm no mistaken. They don't have the cap room.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

We have plenty of space for Ingram The team has about $20 million in space and haven't cut anyone to create more. The cost is about $15 mill if we use him at LB, and about $16 mill if we plan to use him at DE. There is plenty of cap space. There will be even more if we cut anyone like Flowers, Liuget or Franklin.

Comment

• Rugger05
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        We have plenty of space for Ingram The team has about $20 million in space and haven't cut anyone to create more. The cost is about $15 mill if we use him at LB, and about $16 mill if we plan to use him at DE. There is plenty of cap space. There will be even more if we cut anyone like Flowers, Liuget or Franklin.
                        Exactly. I can't see the Chargers letting Ingram go with all the dead weight they are carrying currently. They have no one to replace him and it's not like they are going to spend their money wisely somewhere else.

It is the Chargers we are talking about though

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Im sure tbey will resign Addae and not sure what they will do with Te'o. Im also sure some players that are signed will make more next year. Im all for cutting Franklin but he will only save 2.8 mil with a 4.8 dead money hit. And he will have to be replaced so a FA perhaps there who will cost. Probably wont cut Luiget till 2018 when his cap savings is higher and his dead money is only 3 mill compared to 4.5 this year. But who knows. Maybe a trade?
                          They dont have PLENTY of space but more than i thought. Got to sign the rookies too.
                          Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-17-2017, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X