• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
    Fantastic signing. Like me, Harbaugh has no confidence in QJ.
    Maybe, maybe not but the only way to get rid of him that isnt a big dead cap or having it be negative cap is to trade him after June 1st and then it isnt that bad and we actually gain 1.4 space but have 1.8 mil dead cap.

I think he will be improved but we'll see. Again, Davonte Adams had the same receptions number as QJ in is rookie year.
    I think Davis could be a bubble player. Good return guy but offers little as a WR and he is a shrimp compared to the rest of the WR group....if that maters to Harbaugh or not.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Chark isn’t really that big of an upgrade to cut QJ. I think a vet signing post draft signing was always the plan regardless of the draft to build a deeper WR room.
      agree 100%

I dont think this means they have given up on QJ at all, they have said otherwise. They are just covering their bases ans bringing in a veteran. Not giving up on QJ doesnt mean they are banking on him as a starter right away either.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Chark isn’t really that big of an upgrade to cut QJ. I think a vet signing post draft signing was always the plan regardless of the draft to build a deeper WR room.
        Chark is a vet WR with a known skill set that Hortiz was looking for, deep threat.
        QJ is JAG so far outside of being a 1st rd pick.
        In reality, IMHO, all the WRs have a shot at the roster. Do work, get better every day, let the chips fall where they may.
        Hortiz, Harbaugh, G-Ro and Brady want them to succeed. Make the cut to 53 painful for them. It's all about the 2024 Chargers.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Maybe, maybe not but the only way to get rid of him that isnt a big dead cap or having it be negative cap is to trade him after June 1st and then it isnt that bad and we actually gain 1.4 space but have 1.8 mil dead cap.

I think he will be improved but we'll see. I think Davis could be a bubble player. Good return guy but offers little as a WR and he is a shrimp compared to the rest of the WR group....if that maters to Harbaugh or not.
          Other than McConkey, they all could be considered bubble WR’s. I would have thought a quality veteran would have been chomping at the bit to come to the Chargers and become WR1. We now have quantity, but quality is a huge ?

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post
            The Chark signing (which I love) made me immediately think three things.

1. I love the veteran presence and leadership that Chark (and Palmer) will bring. It makes me feel better about losing Keenan and Big Mike from that aspect.

2. With all of these WRs, maybe (just maybe) we're going to have a balanced (and successful) offense instead of running the ball 70% of the time like it seemed we were heading towards just a little over a week ago.

3. I don't think we will be in 2 TE sets as much as everyone was predicting. We will have three and four WRs out there more than just occasionally. I'm not predicting an air-raid offense or anything like that. Just that we have the ability, and the players, to be able to do so.

The main thing to take away from these recent additions is that we now have the flexibility (and depth) to run all sorts of offensive formations and should have the ability to adapt to the flow of the game in any situation.

We now have the horses to run any kind of offensive formation that we want. Need a mostly heavy running game? Check. Need to air it out? Check. Want to dictate to the defense and make them try to figure out what we're going to do? Double check!
            Ill believe that when i see it. I believe that would be a first for Roman (4 WR sets) but he has never had Herbert so we'll see. Wouldnt mind it actually on occasion.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I have no doubt this will be a better team than last year
              This will be a better team that with Telesco/Staley as the HC/GM
              and most likely a better team than with any other combo of HC/GM they could have hired

Just not ready to say they are winning 13 games during the regular season and winning playoff games.
              But I see a team with a vision heading in the right direction
              That's fair.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

That's fair.
                And its the last thing I am most excited about. The vision of Harbaugh and Hortiz. I just felt Telesco was very "year to year" -- and it showed with the OLine and Defense - never something that had a plan it seemed. And I get the defense 12 months from now could look different but I know they have a vision for HOW they want it to look.

This year, I think a lot has been spent on making sure the OLine and Running games are up to a level that they will be net value adds to the offense to further elevate the passing game. Had to start somewhere

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Well said. Depth for the first time in over a decade. It was like Telesco never anticipated injuries. Good riddance.
                  Yep...this is the deepest QUALITY wideout room I think I've seen on the Bolts in a LONG time...not only that, but on paper at least, I think our RB committee is the deepest since LT/Turner...and our O-line, at least at OT, is very deep with Slater/Alt and Pip and Salyer in reserve...IOL is a bit thin, along with CB and FS...hopefully we pick up some decent FA's that don't break the bank...I'm going to guess Trader Joe may unload at least one more of our vets for a pick, easing the pressure on the cap...and maybe one or more of our UDFA's step up and get signed on the final 53...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I have no doubt this will be a better team than last year
                    This will be a better team that with Telesco/Staley as the HC/GM
                    and most likely a better team than with any other combo of HC/GM they could have hired

Just not ready to say they are winning 13 games during the regular season and winning playoff games.
                    But I see a team with a vision heading in the right direction
                    If we avoid a spate of injuries, I can see the Bolts winning 10 games...maybe even 11...and ANYTHING can happen once we're in the playoffs...

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                      Very interesting...still didnt want another wr...but I guess WE do...have to wonder who they DONT like in this room...especially after drafting three guys!

Camp will tell...
                      competiton will make everyone better and those that dont bus their butts will be gone..... if all the rookies ball out and are best in room they will make team and play.....

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Chark is a vet WR with a known skill set that Hortiz was looking for, deep threat.
                        QJ is JAG so far outside of being a 1st rd pick.
                        In reality, IMHO, all the WRs have a shot at the roster. Do work, get better every day, let the chips fall where they may.
                        Hortiz, Harbaugh, G-Ro and Brady want them to succeed. Make the cut to 53 painful for them. It's all about the 2024 Chargers.
                        agree..... with great coaching some of these players may surprise.... others might crumble under the pressure...

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

or he's a DD replacement - speed guy thats more of a WR? Or maybe its as simple as just adding more known WR depth so he has at least 4 WRs going into the season he has confidence in?

the way folks leap to disparage and pile on Q makes me sad, i think I'll be ok but idunno. its just sad. Folks are always way too quick to jump to motives around here. They didn't like Q's drops as a new rookie so they heap their adoration on a WR that dropped it even more as a 6yr vet. bizarro-ville.
                          Don't let it get you down. QJ can change everyone's mind with his play.

Comment

Working...
                          X