• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

That is part of the fun of being a football fan.
    I was guessing Joe Alt at #5. Not wild speculation, But still speculative opinion of draft choice. It all guesswork from a fans perspective.

Now, I am guessing that IF both 7th Rd pick WRs make the 53 roster and they carry 6 WRs. Then who is the odd man out? it would likely be Palmer because of contract being last year and the only 1 of the 7 WRs that save chunk of money. The other 6 save no money. So, for me it's viewing the scenario and taking my best guess. Or as you call it wild speculation.

I won't be surprised if Palmer gets cut/traded.(3.1m)

Allen, Williams and Palmer all gone. Wild Stuff.

Joe Hortiz is putting his money where his mouth is.
    Building the roster from inside out.
    That 3.1m will for Palmer will be used elsewhere.
    Unless you count Quentin Johnston(pffft!) and Donald Parham (before he goes on IR), that would be zero wide receivers and tight ends on the roster to whom Herbert has completed a pass in an NFL game.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Samuel (3.3 m) and Fox (2.5m) also save us money if you want to play that game. There is also a comp pick game that Hortiz likes to play unless he can trade them for a pick.

I think its crazy to think they will cut Palmer with what our WR room looks like. This is right up there with your trading a 1st round pick for Justin Tucker idea. Unless they have a specific idea of why they need an extra 3.1 cap savings,....which they can get by cutting Asante as well,....... id say this wont happen. Asante wasnt drafted by them either and he has been up and down. I dont think they will cut him either but we have added 3 CBs this year.

We save 915K by cutting Dotson, 985K by cutting Smartt, 960K by cutting Leonard, and 1 mil from Fehoko....theres your savings while keeping Palmer.
      You are play games. LOL. There will be more CBs on field and needed than WRs during games. So the 4th CB is much more valuable than the 4WR on this team. So for your speculating about Samuel, he would need to drop to 5th or 6th CB to be considered a cut/trade for me. And there is no way he drops out of top 3 CBs, IMV. So I think that's a bad guess.

Fox, even if he loses his starting job, I think he does not slide down chart too far. I think he stays in rotation. So IMV, that move doesn't make sense to gain the 2.5m

I see who your cutting to save that Palmer money. But I think Smartt actually makes the roster. And I think Joe Hortiz picks up a veteran player after cuts to add to one of the units.

I agree with your point about comp pick playing a factor in Joe Hortiz roster decisions since we know it a philosophy of his.

And for your jab about Justin Tucker.
      (Murray, Gordon draft capital and trade ups type.of stuff by Telescant) Who would you rather have. I know it's an easy decision for me. All that draft capital for those either of both of those two guys or best kicker in history.
      It like you have amnesia about Kaeding or infamous wide right SB moment. Or even the Jax game FG miss.
      FWIW. Chargers lost 31-30 last time in post season.
      And there was a 40yd field goal attempt halfway through the 4th quarter that was no good by Chargers kicker. Chargers only got 1 more possession after that missed kicked and went nowhere and punted. You don't lose 33 to 31. Now of course we can speculate that Staley D gives up the TD anyway. Maybe, maybe not. But Jax can't beat you with 31pts if the kicker make a simple 40yd kick. Now Dicker is great in regular season . But his most important FG kick of his career was a miss. So I need to see him make a clutch 4th quarter kick in postseason for me to be totally comfortable with him.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Palmer is in the last year of his contract, and we know Hortiz covets comp picks. Would be therefore very surprised if Palmer is cut for nothing in return, especially considering he’s been reliable and productive.

If you’re looking for an “odd man out” that would likely be a player with several years left on his contract, a trade-able asset based on the perception of having a high ceiling due to draft status and physical traits, but lacking any semblance of production or football skills.
        Last edited by PhilaBoltster; 05-05-2024, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Maybe. We have an all new O coaching staff, so all WRs start on the same ground with them. Palmer's ace in ye hole is Justin Herbert and their relationship.

Mostly, I think it'll be about camp and how the WRs adjust to the coaching. I don't think Hortiz is worried about WR $ after he just signed a vet FA.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

One thing to mention is that Sanjay Lal knows Chark and worked with him in Jacksonville

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

You are play games. LOL. There will be more CBs on field and needed than WRs during games. So the 4th CB is much more valuable than the 4WR on this team. So for your speculating about Samuel, he would need to drop to 5th or 6th CB to be considered a cut/trade for me. And there is no way he drops out of top 3 CBs, IMV. So I think that's a bad guess.

Fox, even if he loses his starting job, I think he does not slide down chart too far. I think he stays in rotation. So IMV, that move doesn't make sense to gain the 2.5m

I see who your cutting to save that Palmer money. But I think Smartt actually makes the roster. And I think Joe Hortiz picks up a veteran player after cuts to add to one of the units.

I agree with your point about comp pick playing a factor in Joe Hortiz roster decisions since we know it a philosophy of his.

(Murray, Gordon draft capital and trade ups type.of stuff by Telescant) Who would you rather have. I know it's an easy decision for me. All that draft capital for those either of both of those two guys or best kicker in history.
              It like you have amnesia about Kaeding or infamous wide right SB moment. Or even the Jax game FG miss.
              And there was a 40yd field goal attempt halfway through the 4th quarter that was no good by Chargers kicker. Chargers only got 1 more possession after that missed kicked and went nowhere and punted. You don't lose 33 to 31. Now of course we can speculate that Staley D gives up the TD anyway. Maybe, maybe not. But Jax can't beat you with 31pts if the kicker make a simple 40yd kick. Now Dicker is great in regular season . But his most important FG kick of his career was a miss. So I need to see him make a clutch 4th quarter kick in postseason for me to be totally comfortable with him.
              Wasn't a guess. I said I doubt they cut him and was just matching your absurdness in a similar situation.

Smartt is 226 lbs at last roster listing, isn't a blocker so id be shocked if he made the roster.

We got a kicker who so far has been as good as Tucker and we didn't spend a pick on him. In fact we gained a pick by trading Hopkins.
              Telesco was just a crap GM. Dicker was his blind dog bone find story after many failures there.

And I'm going to blame every bad defensive effort on Staley. He sucked.

His LB coach actually told him he made a dumbass call. Dicker was 3 of 4 including a 50 yarder. Not going to blame a rookie kicker who had 1 previous 50 yard att that he missed.

Last season he was 7-9 from 50+

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

ASJ isn’t going anywhere. He’s way above the over/under cut line … not even close.

I don’t think the 2023 Smartt we saw makes the roster, we’ll see if the camp and preseason changes my guess. He didn’t block well enough and his receiving wouldn’t overcome that. But he could develop and improve, so ?

Tucker is HOF, maybe GOAT. But Dicker is The Kicker, and he did make Q4 kicks, the makes don’t get as much attention i guess. He would completely shatter league records if he keeps doing what he’s done so far.

I didn’t get the $900k Dotson etc etc line … those are end of roster minimum pay players that will be replaced by other end of roster minimum pay guys - how is there a potential change to cap?

We’re all a tad over the top here n there … I’ve planted my flag on “Protect Q Mountain” for the time being … kid deserves better than he gets in TPB.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

FWIW, I don’t think Herbert cares who he’s throwing too, beyond Slayer, who is gone.

Compete!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    FWIW, I don’t think Herbert cares who he’s throwing too, beyond Slayer, who is gone.

Compete!!
                    He has to feel better today than he did a few weeks or so ago.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Compete!!
                      I think he cared before the draft but after the draft probably less so...I was pooping in my pants after we drafted Alt and before we drafted anyone else...much less poop in my pants now...

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• northerner
                        Charger fan since '79
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

the WR rooms will take care of itself over the course of training camp, the preseason, and the season. if the WR was truly too full, we would not have signed Chark for up to $5M.

Comment

• northerner
                          Charger fan since '79
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I think he cared before the draft but after the draft probably less so...I was pooping in my pants after we drafted Alt and before we drafted anyone else...much less poop in my pants now...

good to hear your poop issue was cleared up.

Comment

Working...
                          X