• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

Sorry Mr Gates, but I think you're done. You miss about a 3rd of the season injured, have picked up a light case of dropsies and just don't have that burst anymore. You want to come back next year? Come back as the TE's Coach.
    sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Just get him the TD record now and get it over with.
      We wasted too many redzone plays trying to get it when the games actually counted. Might as well concentrate on it now.
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I love Gates...he is probably my favorite all-time Charger.

But this team ain't winning shit next year. I agree he deserves a shot at a ring...but it will have to be with another team, good sir.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

This team with better coaching would be in the thick of a very good AFC West.
          sigpic

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
            This team with better coaching would be in the thick of a very good AFC West.
            I think that's what Gates is thinking, but it doesn't address the ten ton elephant in the room, the shitty coaching staff.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              Id prefer we get younger, faster and better at blocking. I wouldn't mind going back to the well in the draft. Gates counts 5 million against the cap. Is he really a major factor this season? Its like losing Woody and the impact it had on Gordon. I think Henry is ready to take the step towards having a younger Gates type impact. Id be looking at a blocking TE that can also be a threat in the passing game. Henry could be that guy and we could use him in a Witten type role. I also like the idea of getting Henrys former teammate Jeremy Sprinkle in the 5th round or so. Great blocker. They work well together. Arkansas is a running minded team. Emphasis on blocking and short passing game. I think Henry would be the main bread winner taking over Gates role. And Sprinkle would be the blocking TE that can also do damage in the passing game.

I love Gates. And yes he deserves to be on the roster if he wants to continue for another year. But not at 5 million.
              totally agree. Gates has been declining for years losing speed and his hands. Can't keep bringing him back for sentimental reasons and blocking development of younger guys to take his place. Also, Rivers keeps counting on him as a security blanket which needs to stop. IF we can afford a roster spot and he's cheap and willing to be primarily a blocker another year may be warranted. Otherwise time to move on.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Gates is clearly not close to the player he once was, but having said that - teams still fear him and game plan for him which is allowing everyone else more opportunities.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  Gates is clearly not close to the player he once was, but having said that - teams still fear him and game plan for him which is allowing everyone else more opportunities.
                  I heard Phil Simms go on and on about Gates drawing doubles recently, and he was completely full of shit, as usual. DBs have been jumping routes for picks because they've left Gates uncovered. He's not even much of a decoy now.
                  sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Nick Hardwick must be full of shit too as he made that same comment about the Gates drawing a lot of double teams after each of the past two games.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

You can still see the double coverage. Teams know that Rivers is trying to go to him, so they double Gates to get the int. Gates is still getting open vs single coverage. He can't run away from teams, but he can still get open because he is still one of the best route runners around.

Comment

• TABF
                        Por debajo del promedio
                        • Jun 2013
                        • SoCal
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                        sure, and keep Hunter Henry from getting valuable snaps? I don't think so. If Gates is too delusional to know when he is done, the Spanii need to show him. I'd package Gates & Rivers and trade for rights to Johnny Manziel & handful of magic beans before bringing Gates back.
                        Gates might have 16 yards of YAC this season... I would prefer he retire with his dignity... Dude is a shell of who he was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

He is only a shell, but he is still an effective TE. His blocking is the best it has been at any point in his career, and he is still a decent possesion guy.

If we can fix the interior OL, the running game will be much, much more consistent. Then we can do 2 TE sets a lot of the time, and hit benjamin and Williams off of play action. Henry and Gates would have a lot of room to work undeneath. And more importantly Gordon can be the focus of the offense. Play action, get him more carries and he is going to get a ton of explosive plays in the running game and short dumpoff passing game.

I think Gates is a key to success next year (along with resigning Ingram).

Comment

Working...
                          X