• OG619FrightninLightnin
    Let's do this!
    • Aug 2022
    • Raleigh N. Carolina
    • Send PM

Happy Birthday Dan Fouts!

My all time favorite Bolt.

I met him at TC in La Jolla as he was down covering a preseason game for SF

We chatted for a good 20 mins. So. Cool!

Screenshot_20240610_190448_Chrome.jpg
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

I remember that poster, it's awesome. But didn't Nike have to take it off the market because they didn't have permission to use the lightning bolts on the pant legs? This was in the era when the Chargers were literally changing how the pro game of football is played, the team and players who transformed NFL offenses into what they are today.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Maybe more appropriate for the WOYM thread but

This is a but weird,
      A lot of themes have been popping up recently related to my grandmother who meant the world to me (may she RIP)
      today was her birthday, would have been 97.

Last week, my boss mentioned his dog's birthday would be the 10th
      The next day, my neighbor (who I rarely speak with) mentioned having plans for her birthday today (10th)

and now this. I never knew DFs bday.

I've been reminiscing through text with my cousins about her and how I noticed this white butterfly circling my house when both my girls were born.

Probably just a coincidence, and probably selective attention but I really really hope I see her again one day.

Happy Bday Dan and granny. Love you.
      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Whydachargers?
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        Maybe more appropriate for the WOYM thread but

This is a but weird,
        A lot of themes have been popping up recently related to my grandmother who meant the world to me (may she RIP)
        today was her birthday, would have been 97.

Last week, my boss mentioned his dog's birthday would be the 10th
        The next day, my neighbor (who I rarely speak with) mentioned having plans for her birthday today (10th)

and now this. I never knew DFs bday.

I've been reminiscing through text with my cousins about her and how I noticed this white butterfly circling my house when both my girls were born.

Probably just a coincidence, and probably selective attention but I really really hope I see her again one day.

Happy Bday Dan and granny. Love you.
        That's beautiful.

Comment

• northerner
          Charger fan since '79
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post
          My all time favorite Bolt.

I met him at TC in La Jolla as he was down covering a preseason game for SF

We chatted for a good 20 mins. So. Cool!
          sounds like he was a nice guy to you. i've never met him but i am always reading stories about him being an asshole. Air Coryell was my childhood team - i am thinking of getting a nice Fouts jersey and just sticking with that (instead of always buying the current player jerseys). to this day, i always appreciate when a QB is wearing #14 and slinging it. i think Sam Darnold is the most recent #14 out there.

Comment

• northerner
            Charger fan since '79
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            I remember that poster, it's awesome. But didn't Nike have to take it off the market because they didn't have permission to use the lightning bolts on the pant legs? This was in the era when the Chargers were literally changing how the pro game of football is played, the team and players who transformed NFL offenses into what they are today.
            i was just a kid, but the chargers were one of the first teams to routinely throw the ball on 1st and 10 (and maybe the first team to do it).

thanks goodness that Coryell got into the HOF. they weren't just a great team - they changed the approach to an offensive passing attack.
            Last edited by northerner; 06-11-2024, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

I don’t mean to rain on your fest, and I get the fondness many have. I lived thru the Air Coryell years too, my first years as a season ticket holder up in the top deck, that deck used to shake like hell in those days. I also remember his first 4 years where he completely sucked ass, but those were very bad Charger teams so maybe he had no chance.

But I really soured on Dan after he went national in broadcasting and was so focused on being “unbiased” that he really turned negative on the Chargers. I mean more negative than a normal any dude announcer from somewhere else. He seemed to go out of his way to talk down the Chargers imo, just my impression but it’s hardened into stone and I’m not getting back on the danwagon anytime soon.

You guys have fun at the party. Best and all that shit …
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                I don’t mean to rain on your fest, and I get the fondness many have. I lived thru the Air Coryell years too, my first years as a season ticket holder up in the top deck, that deck used to shake like hell in those days. I also remember his first 4 years where he completely sucked ass, but those were very bad Charger teams so maybe he had no chance.

But I really soured on Dan after he went national in broadcasting and was so focused on being “unbiased” that he really turned negative on the Chargers. I mean more negative than a normal any dude announcer from somewhere else. He seemed to go out of his way to talk down the Chargers imo, just my impression but it’s hardened into stone and I’m not getting back on the danwagon anytime soon.

I remember being upset about this also, I think the psychological runs much deeper than simply trying to be objective.
                In the Herbert era, he's been very supportive and talks up Justin like no other.
                eod, Dan means too much to this franchise and it's fanbase that his negativity during his broadcasting days hardly nic the legacy in my book.
                2024: Far From Over

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                  Let's do this!
                  • Aug 2022
                  • Raleigh N. Carolina
                  • Send PM

The Chargers as an organization shit all over many veteran players in that era. More than most fans realize.

The bandwagon doesn't need anymore jumping on so you are good.

Comment

• northerner
                    Charger fan since '79
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

it was probably middle fingers from both sides of the argument. Dan fought like heck for Coryell to get in the HOF, so i give him credit for that.

Dan was old school MFIC. listening to Pat McAfee, he actually mentioned that it would have been good for Andrew Luck to see one year of Manning being the total MFIC with the colts. Pat mentioned that Andrew was almost too nice with teammates, especially after Pat saw Manning be the ultimate MFIC for a number of years.

I always liked listening to Fouts call a game. I did not pick up the anti-charger sentiment, but i have heard other people mention it as well, so it happened at some point.

one thing for sure, it would be great for the chargers to have a ceremonial Air Coryell tribute game this season. fingers crossed...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

I never interpreted any of that as an attack on San Diego, the fans, or even the Charger team or players...I always thought Dan was very upset about the way things ended for those Air Coryell teams under the new Owners, and it wasn't even how he and other legends were treated, I think what tore him up was the way that Don Coryell himself was handled by the Spanos family, Dan worshipped Coryell, and that might've been what was eating him up inside...that's the way I chose to interpret all of that...he was definitely butt hurt with the Spanos at that time...
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

The Fouts era was pre social media, internet, etc so we only know so many stories, but from everything I read and heard, Dan was very difficult to work with and be around. He was hard on teammates on the field and off. He was hard on ownership. And he bucked the NFL PA (I remember fans paying his union dues for him because he refused out of principle and was facing a ban for not doing so). Maybe without being such a 'jerk' Fouts would not have achieved the success he did in the NFL? He was a poor athelete, his arm was below average but he was tough and smart and had a quick release and was accurate. And without being such a jerk, perhaps guys like Winslow (who was the very definition of prima dona) would never have peformed like they did? I have never heard about Fouts having any issues with the coaches, so there is that. Or maybe I just don't know about it!

It is funny now that he is the huggable grandfather of the Chargers. He sure wasn't like that when he played! But he was a great QB and very deserving of his HOF induction and place in Chargers history.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                        X