• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Once Rivers retires, this team could be really bad. What would their record have been this year with Kellen Clemens or some scrub rookie QB playing? They couldn't even beat the Browns!

Whether the Rams or the Chargers become the #1 team in LA really isn't the point. LA has already proven this year that they won't support a bad team. Why flood that market with another bad team? Doesn't the NFL want the league to succeed in LA, not fail?

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
      With Rivers, Gordon, Bosa, Allen, Gates, it won't be that bad for them in LA. Gates is a bit washed up but he's still has his name. There are a lot of fans even voted for him to be in the Pro Bowl, lol. With the Rams being so bad in the last 2 years and mediocre "7-9 bullshit" (Fisher's words) every season since The Greatest Show on Turf, that franchise kinda suck right now and I just don't think it'll take much for the Chargers to surpass them in the LA market in a couple of years.
      Dont agree. Its not good when a poll is taken and nearly 90% voted that they didnt want the Chargers there.

Comment

• vinabolt
        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
        • Feb 2015
        • Send PM

If I plan a vacation or do something in a city, a few dollars difference in hotel expense can't change my plan and won't discourage me from going there. SD citizen will regret and feel it went the football team leaves town. It'll probably take some years to get used to the emptiness on Sunday. The city economy will feel it, too.
        Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

Where are those percentage come from? There are a lot of non-football fans, non-Chargers fan in SD that voted. The hatred for the Spanos in some fans mind having a lot to do with that, too. Their mindset are billionaires should have enough money to fund the stadium themselves. Voting or not, Rivers, Gordon, Bosa, Allen, Gates, etc. still have the star power that attract fans anywhere.

Other than long time suckers like the Browns, Raiders, Jaguars, Lions, Bungles, etc. Middle of the pack franchises like the Chargers, Dolphins, Cardinals, etc. doesn't really need that much to attract new fans. Heck, even those sucker teams have a tight fan base. All it takes is a few winning seasons and 1 SB win and the perception change. This is the "what have you done lately" league, nowadays it's not about the past anymore. The Raiders were a laughing stock for a long time and now they win and suddenly become the media darling and now Carr is the greatest, MVP, and Mack is a "walking Hall of famer".

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          Dont agree. Its not good when a poll is taken and nearly 90% voted that they didnt want the Chargers there.
          Last edited by vinabolt; 01-08-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

The poll was from the LA Times I believe. 9% wanted them in LA.

Comment

• TABF
              Por debajo del promedio
              • Jun 2013
              • SoCal
              • Send PM

With Rivers, Gordon, Bosa, Allen, Gates, it won't be that bad for them in LA. Gates is a bit washed up but he's still has his name. There are a lot of fans even voted for him to be in the Pro Bowl, lol. With the Rams being so bad in the last 2 years and mediocre "7-9 bullshit" (Fisher's words) every season since The Greatest Show on Turf, that franchise kinda suck right now and I just don't think it'll take much for the Chargers to surpass them in the LA market in a couple of years.
              Your points are on the fringe at best. Every person within the greater LA basin has only so much time and or money allotted towards entertainment.

Passing the Rams and fandom is one thing, but where do they sit when you account for USC football, UCLA football, LA Dodgers, LA Angels of Anaheim, Kings, Lakers, Clippers, Ducks etc.

Is the power of Deans Spanos, Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates, Joey Bosa enough tto allot time and money away from all the other sports and non sports entertainment available in LA?

I know LA and LA people, and my guess is no. The Chargers will be one of the weaker draws live and on TV ( even if their winning).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• vinabolt
                Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                • Feb 2015
                • Send PM

I'm not sure about that. LA is very diverse. Sure they have a lot of other sports and college football but they also have a huge number of NFL fans, and in pro fooball the Chargers have 1 direct competition, that's the lowly Rams. Other sport teams are not their direct competitors. It's a good point about the time and money, though. But I just think with that huge population, as long as they can win, they won't disappear into the crowd here.

Also, after Rivers retires the team probably suck for a few years but they will have early draft picks and if Telesco is still good at it, they can rebound. But the most ideal scenario is that Telesco will draft a replacement in place a couple of years before Rivers hang it up.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

I'm not sure about that. LA is very diverse. Sure they have a lot of other sports and college football but they also have a huge number of NFL fans, and in pro fooball the Chargers have 1 direct competition, that's the lowly Rams. Other sport teams are not their direct competitors. It's a good point about the time and money, though. But I just think with that huge population, as long as they can win, they won't disappear into the crowd here.
                  You forgot one important thing: The Raiders.

The Chargers will be the #3 pro team in LA, behind a team that doesn't even play there.

The Chargers will NEVER overtake the Raiders in LA.

Comment

• TABF
                    Por debajo del promedio
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoCal
                    • Send PM

Also, after Rivers retires the team probably suck for a few years but they will have early draft picks and if Telesco is still good at it, they can rebound. But the most ideal scenario is that Telesco will draft a replacement in place a couple of years before Rivers hang it up.
                    Everything is in direct competion to other things...including the weather, beaches, plays concerts, NCAA sports, pro Sports etc... Thinking average american here...if they can afford season seats to UCLA football then they most likely cannot afford seats to another team as well. Of the small percetage that can afford season seats to several different teams, then they run out of time...I dont know about you but my spouse won't let me go to every game I want...At some point time has to be made for family, yard work, friends, work etc...

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                      The poll was from the LA Times I believe. 9% wanted them in LA.
                      FOX 11 News in LA
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                        You forgot one important thing: The Raiders.

The Chargers will be the #3 pro team in LA, behind a team that doesn't even play there.

The Chargers will NEVER overtake the Raiders in LA.
                        I lived in the LA area for 25 years and still continue to work all over that region. There is zero fan base in LA. They will be behind the Raiders
                        Cowboys
                        Rams
                        49ers
                        Steelers
                        Packers
                        And even the 2 NY teams in popularity.
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X