• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Post 53 man/waivers cut down Telesco report card

Once and for all. Post your views on the positives and negatives that you feel Telesco has managed in his first offseason as GM.

Positives -

1) D Line depth - This was a MASSIVE hole prior to the draft and post draft. It continued to be a massive hole at DE through the preseason. Telesco then got to work. He traded for Lissemore from Dallas who didn't fit a 4-3 scheme. He was perfect for our needs however as a run stuffing 3-4 DE. Check. He then went on to acquire Nevis via waivers who projects as a pass rushing 3T DT in our nickel scheme's. Combined with Geathers, this group now has the makings of a solid rotation, ALL with upside given their age and experience. Very solid work here.

2) Nickel CB shored up - Getting Richard Marshall seemed to fall into our laps after being a cap casualty. I've been down on Patrick since he was acquired and hope he never needs to see the field. Marshall has been very solid in the slot throughout his career. It's not a major upgrade, but he should improve the position if he maintains his 82-88 qb rating against.

3) Cutting Meachum - I'm glad they decided to eat his salary and move on. He continued to show nothing throughout preseason and didn't merit a roster spot. It helps that he brought in a personal favorite in Tutu as well. I'm not the biggest fan of Royal, but let's see how he does in this short passing game that should be tailor made for his strengths.

4) Picking up Fozzy - I'm higher on him than most, but I see him as a clear upgrade to all our backup RB's last year. He can pass protect, catch balls out of the backfield, and brings a physical running style that we lack on the team. With Goodman being cut, he's taking over KR duties as well, which he excelled at in college. A lot to like from a very low cost addition.

5) Signing Woodcock for virtually nothing - We haven't seen him at all in preseason, but I saw enough of him in NE to know what he brings to the table. He can be a 70 catch guy if we use him as expected. Great acquisition for the cost.

6) Not overpaying for Starks - Loved that we didn't commit anything of worth bringing him in. It was a gamble I thought was worthwhile, but it was a gamble that did not bite us in the ass vs. acquisitions from last season.

Negatives

1) Oline - I'll preface this by saying this is subject to change. We likely won't have a clear picture of the O line for a few weeks and any injuries to starters is likely to be seriously detrimental. We did replace 4 starters essentially with Clary moving positions, I'm just not sure it will be enough for the line to be at least NFL average. We were fairly hamstrung in regards to FA options this offseason and the draft didn't do us any favors either. Still, as it stands, the line is a negative.

2) Overpaying for Freeney - I love what Freeney has brought to the team, but I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that we overpaid for him. That being said, I've loved what I've seen from him and he has a chance to justify his contract. His off field help with the young D line should also not go unnoticed. He's the mentor Philips never was.

Undetermined

1) Butler extension - We've heard twice now that the team has been trying to get an extension done. It needs to get done. Negotiate, but get it done. Price will only go up. There's plenty of cap space to get it done now.

2) Will the Cox acquisition prove worthwhile and by extension was it the right decision to retain John Pagano? We needed a press corner to run what Pagano wants to run. We got him one. Will he stay healthy? Will Pagano prove he is as good as his brother designing schemes? His blitz scheme's last year left much to be desired. Our 3rd down efficiency, while improved, was still awful. He's got some new horses, let's see how he puts them use. His rookie year as DC was OK, players seemed to be in good position to make turnovers AND take them to the house. The defense needs to make that next step and become dominant. It is littered with high draft picks throughout. Time to pay dividends.

3) Trading up to get Te'o - I was tempted to put this as a negative, but I just haven't seen enough of Te'o to make that determination. He was all world in college. Will it translate? I've come around on the pick, but he needs to show it on the field.
    A - I wouldn't change a thing
    9.09%
    B - Great job despite not having much to work with cap wise. Still holes, but great first year.
    45.45%
    C - Decent job considering he was hamstrung by AJ
    40.91%
    D - Sub par work, I would have done multiple things differently
    2.27%
    F - Complete Failure. Raiders had a better offseason.
    2.27%
    Last edited by Beerman; 09-02-2013, 04:40 PM.
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Not sure how to vote yet...
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• SFW
      PB Official Game Thread Starter
      • Jul 2013
      • NY
      • USMC
      • Send PM

I struggled between "great job" and "decent job due to AJ" before finally going with the decent job selection. It is close enough for me to be fine with ether of those two selections.
      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• boltguy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Really nice job with the analysis. I couldn't and wouldn't have said it better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Solid start to a rebuilding job without a complete tear down.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

I buy into the moves he has done so far for the most part. None of us can say if they were good or bad moves just yet.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              Not sure how to vote yet...
              How do you THINK you'd vote?

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Not sure I'd put Oline as a negative when it's easily been upgraded from what we had last season, maybe wait and see?

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Depth. This team should have a fighting chance if they go the entire season without injuries. But almost every spot has a huge drop off.
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    Not sure I'd put Oline as a negative when it's easily been upgraded from what we had last season, maybe wait and see?
                    I did preface that it could change, but looking at it objectively, it's a clear negative as currently constructed. Even if it's an improvement from last season's train wreck.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      I did preface that it could change, but looking at it objectively, it's a clear negative as currently constructed. Even if it's an improvement from last season's train wreck.
                      Only one or two guys here DON'T think it's an upgrade from last season. However, just because we're better than nothing is not something to be thrilled about. In other words, better than last year isn't saying much.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                        Only one or two guys here DON'T think it's an upgrade from last season. However, just because we're better than nothing is not something to be thrilled about. In other words, better than last year isn't saying much.
                        Better than 7 and 9 isn't far from the post season.

Comment

Working...
                        X