• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers show flashes

Although we lost and although we were up 28-7, we all knew we had lost once we didn't get a 1st down once the Texans made it 28-14. Sure is a wierd feeling to be up by 2 TD's and know in your heart of hearts that your team is going to lose.

But in spite of all of that I'm really quite optimistic.

Before the game, I had seen so many people saying Houston is a team headed for the Superbowl and I was worried that we would be embarrassed and could not hang with them at all; that was a pleasant surprise.

Rivers looked sharp for 3 quarters, the 2 minute drill at the end of the 1st half was awesome and something that would not have happened last year. Rivers was sown right money. And I liked the occasional long bombs, even though they didn't connect to Gates and Brown, sooooo close. Rivers seemed to lose confidence and get panicky at the end. The danger with the short stuff all game long is that they jump your routes to go for the int. But overall Rivers looked "fixed" in the first half and I think it will only take 1 comeback win to get us on a roll.

Mathews was so-so, nice catch for the TD and a couple of decent runs, but was hoping he would break one. Ronnie Brown has a little bit left in the tank, smart player. And woodhead is as advertised, another good thing.

Gates, Floyd, Brown and especially Royal had some nice catches ... wish they would concentrate and watch the ball ALL the way into their hands.

On defense I liked how Pagano got after it on defense, unlike the offense he looked like he was playing to win. Lots of 3rd down stops in the 2nd half. So big plays by Johnson etc. etc. Freeney has something left in the tank, to my surprise.

Royal looked capable on punts and Fozzy almost broke one KR; Scrifes had some good punts, except the last one.

Some good open field tackling by Weedle and Co.

Overall, I;m not as down as I thought I would be and if we are competitve against Superbowl caliber teams like Texas, we are better than last year;s team ... think back to the Atlanta game.
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

They showed a lot of flashes. The team was ready to play, had a good game plan. I have high hopes for McCoy.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Vermstyr
      ACEofSPADES11
      • Jun 2013
      • Mass
      • Send PM

I did not expect the Chargers to win. However, to lose in the similar fashion that made me despise the Norv Turner regime makes me so extremely disappointed.

Good post, but it really looked like "Same shit, different coach" out there last night.
      Last edited by Vermstyr; 09-10-2013, 05:46 AM.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
        Although we lost and although we were up 28-7, we all knew we had lost once we didn't get a 1st down once the Texans made it 28-14. Sure is a wierd feeling to be up by 2 TD's and know in your heart of hearts that your team is going to lose.

But in spite of all of that I'm really quite optimistic.

Before the game, I had seen so many people saying Houston is a team headed for the Superbowl and I was worried that we would be embarrassed and could not hang with them at all; that was a pleasant surprise.

Rivers looked sharp for 3 quarters, the 2 minute drill at the end of the 1st half was awesome and something that would not have happened last year. Rivers was sown right money. And I liked the occasional long bombs, even though they didn't connect to Gates and Brown, sooooo close. Rivers seemed to lose confidence and get panicky at the end. The danger with the short stuff all game long is that they jump your routes to go for the int. But overall Rivers looked "fixed" in the first half and I think it will only take 1 comeback win to get us on a roll.

Mathews was so-so, nice catch for the TD and a couple of decent runs, but was hoping he would break one. Ronnie Brown has a little bit left in the tank, smart player. And woodhead is as advertised, another good thing.

Gates, Floyd, Brown and especially Royal had some nice catches ... wish they would concentrate and watch the ball ALL the way into their hands.

On defense I liked how Pagano got after it on defense, unlike the offense he looked like he was playing to win. Lots of 3rd down stops in the 2nd half. So big plays by Johnson etc. etc. Freeney has something left in the tank, to my surprise.

Royal looked capable on punts and Fozzy almost broke one KR; Scrifes had some good punts, except the last one.

Some good open field tackling by Weedle and Co.

Overall, I;m not as down as I thought I would be and if we are competitve against Superbowl caliber teams like Texas, we are better than last year;s team ... think back to the Atlanta game.
        Good stuff. I think McCoy (and Whiz) had a great game plan overall but still made some errors. Of course, he is a new head coach and still has learning to do as well as all the players still adjusting to all the new changes. Blowing a lead like that was very disappointing but talentwise, the Chargers aren't on the same level as the Texans yet but McCoy had them ready to play and should have pulled off the upset with another play here or there.

I thought Rivers played very well and that INT wasn't the boneheaded INT like he threw last year. In fact, I remember a play earlier in the game where Rivers could have thrown the ball up but instead wisely took the sack. The pick six was an great read and amazing athletic play by Cushing. Rivers play has definitely jumped back up IMO.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be tough to stop the Eagles right now but maybe McCoy will surprise us and pull off the upset.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Vermstyr View Post
          I did not expect the Chargers to win. However, to lose in the similar fashion that made me despise the Norv Turner regime makes me so extremely disappointed.

Good post, but it really looked like "Same shit, different coach" out there last night.
          I'm gonna write off the ending result as a fluke. It's not possible to have same shit different coach when you also turned over 1/2 your roster + new GM and philosophy from top to bottom in the organization.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Vermstyr
            ACEofSPADES11
            • Jun 2013
            • Mass
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
            I'm gonna write off the ending result as a fluke. It's not possible to have same shit different coach when you also turned over 1/2 your roster + new GM and philosophy from top to bottom in the organization.
            How can it not be possible? You watched the game last night, right? Abandoning the run game, Rivers gets antsy and starts throwing downfield, refs make a crap call that effectively changes the game. Same shit. Changing half the roster and getting a new GM plus philosophy (which looked eerily similar to Norv Turner's) does not somehow change the result of the game last night.

I know it was one game, but that one game was the same shit we have been watching the past few years while yelling 'FIRE NORV' at the TV screen. Team Captains are the same as last year I believe, as Captains I think they hold some sort of accountability for not pushing the team/coaching staff to step up for the team.

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
              THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
              Generous Donor
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I liked the variety in the passing game.

It also seems like the RBs are running 'harder'. Why we've lost the willingness to run strategically is beyond me.

Defense looked good at times. Just got gassed and Houston is better right now.

Rivers seemed more energized, but got that 'dazed' look after things started slipping away.

So yes, flashes. Should be an interesting year.
              NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• Geezbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Sun Valley, ID
                • Send PM

I think the real difference is to come. IMO, McCoy will do whatever it takes to solve this second half implosion problem. Norv didn't. I equate it to 1992 when Bobby Ross lost his first four games after taking over for Dan Henning. A friend of mine was on the coaching staff at that time and I remember talking to him on Monday morning after their fourth loss. He said they were working 100 hours a week and Ross said they would continue to do so until they got the problems straightened out.

Comment

• CTrout
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

My only concern about those "flashes" we seen is that they happened mostly in the 1st half. The Texans were kind of in a tough spot heading into this game. How do you game plan for an offense, when you have basically nothing to study. Our offense worked well until the Texans started adjusting their D, then we finished out the 2nd half unable to even get a 1st down on 5 or 6 drives. Not Good.

Comment

• floydefisher
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • siberiacuse, ny
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    They showed a lot of flashes. The team was ready to play, had a good game plan. I have high hopes for McCoy.

TG
                    I have high hopes for McCoy too, but I also see this team has a ton of deadwood that needs to be parted with. It's going to take several seasons before McCoy can right the ship.

I just hope he has enough time to accomplish that.
                    sigpic

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

So those of you with DVRs, what is the deal with the lack of running to the right side? Did the Chargers try to get cute and run away from Watt? Was it because he was lining up on the left side so they thought it would be better to run at him rather than have him blow by Dunlap and make a play from behind (and avoiding Fluker) on the right?

Comment

• floydefisher
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • siberiacuse, ny
                        • Send PM

How can it not be possible? You watched the game last night, right? Abandoning the run game, Rivers gets antsy and starts throwing downfield, refs make a crap call that effectively changes the game. Same shit. Changing half the roster and getting a new GM plus philosophy (which looked eerily similar to Norv Turner's) does not somehow change the result of the game last night.

I know it was one game, but that one game was the same shit we have been watching the past few years while yelling 'FIRE NORV' at the TV screen. Team Captains are the same as last year I believe, as Captains I think they hold some sort of accountability for not pushing the team/coaching staff to step up for the team.
                        From what the UT was saying, Matthews was gassed. At one point he got caught from behind by a defensive lineman in the 4th quarter.

How can you run the ball if the back is tired?
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X