• Show
Clear All
  • TABF
    Por debajo del promedio
    • Jun 2013
    • SoCal
    • Send PM

3rd and Long

On both sides of the ball, over the past 2.1 seasons this has been our Achilles heel. Going back much deeper into the Chargers past, I have not had much confidence in us stopping teams when our D faces a 3rd and long.

There are so many ways to get yourself (offensively speaking)into a crappy 3rd and long, and not many ways to get yourself out of it. I expect(ed) this Charger team (with all the pre season talk of no huddle, short dink/dunk type offense) to stay outta that situation offensively. Defensively is another deal.... We find ourselves time and again playing great on 1st and 2nd down, and not able to get off the field when the odds are in our favor (3rd and long)... For whatever reason we have been cursed and I think a number of elements come into play. It's easy to point at the scheme, coverage and the actual defensive "play" called... It's more than that.

What gives? Is it lack of play makers, depth, smarts, unit execution, coaches call, a combo of everything.

If we could merely fix third down on both sides of the ball, we could win a lot more football games.

What say you!
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

I think our defense was gassed because we couldn't run the ball because our RB was gassed.

Although some of our gassed defenders played a shit ton more snaps than our gassed RB.

Something stinks and its not gas
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
      I think our defense was gassed because we couldn't run the ball because our RB was gassed.

Although some of our gassed defenders played a shit ton more snaps than our gassed RB.

Something stinks and its not gas
      Won't disagree with that especially later in the game but the 3rd and 18 play was on their first drive of the 3rd quarter.

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        Won't disagree with that especially later in the game but the 3rd and 18 play was on their first drive of the 3rd quarter.
        No gas there. The D just took a shit.

Comment

• homeless simpson
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

time to buy this team some gas

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            This play was just awful. We sat in the zone and allowed AJ come all the way across and sit in the soft spot. I would much rather blitz and have Schaub have to go to his hot read. At most he gets 10-12 yards before he gets tackled.

One positive is that aside from Marshall, Cox/Wright were pretty sure tacklers and limited YAC.

Comment

• TTK
              EX-Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • America's Finest City
              • Send PM

Pass rush was invisible in the 2nd half. Not going to stop a lot of 3rd downs like that.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                Pass rush was invisible in the 2nd half. Not going to stop a lot of 3rd downs like that.
                right now, the chargers only have one guy that can rush the passer...and he's 33 years old. liuget and reyes need to step it up this week.

Comment

• X-man
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Pagano needs to go back to watching the film of what Ron Rivera did defensively where the Bolts played more man coverage and were pretty successful. We didn't have the greatest pass rush at that time either, but Rivera still believed in his pass rush (and DB's) enough to be better at getting the dee off the field on 3rd downs (let alone long conversion 3rd downs).

Comment

• thelightningwill
                    Go Aztecs and Pads
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
                    right now, the chargers only have one guy that can rush the passer...and he's 33 years old. liuget and reyes need to step it up this week.
                    I blame the lack of pass-rush success of our defensive ends on Cam, the noseguard. Dude was getting pushed right every time I paid attention, generally taking an end and linebacker with him.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Cam has really slipped since 2011. Hopefully he gets it back.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X