• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MassGeneralBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Game thoughts

I want to start out by saying that this was the guttiest road win for us in 4 years given having to overcome those drive killing fumbles by Matthews and Gates.

Things I liked

1) This coaching staff. We've heard how detail oriented McCoy is and I think it's pretty obvious this is the most prepared our team has been in 4 years or so to come out from the get go and compete and score points from the opening kickoff. Too many Fn times it seemed our teams had no clue what time the kickoff was under the Norv era , constantly playing from behind and taking forever to get in gear. Seems like McCoy and staff doing a great job preparing these guys with an effective game plan that the players are excited about and believe in.

2) Wisenhunt/McCoy tailoring the offense around Rivers' strength which is give him as much time to read the D with either no huddle or little huddle and let him call the offense into the right play presnap ala Peyton.

Things to work on
    1) Ball Security. Too many damn fumbles

2) Matthews mental game, not sure if hell ever pick this game up between the ears to earn the trust of this coaching staff and be an every down back.

3) Pass rush. Vick it seemed had all day to throw

4) communication in the secondary , too many wide open guys in middle of zone

Overall very proud of these guys to fight till the end especially after such a disappointing loss
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Yea not sure how much of the secondary break downs had to do with Weddle playing so far up in the box. It is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. We essentially had a brand new secondary since Weddle was playing the ILB role on D. I will give props to Gilchrist for that pass breakup at the end of the game that held them to a FG.

The pass rush was definitely inconsistent. The biggest issue IMO so far is that our inside pass rush hasn't materialized. Liuget was more injured than we were initially led to believe and Reyes hasn't been as dominant as he was in the 2nd half of last season. I think the position switch of those 2 guys has really affected them so far (they flip flopped RDE and LDE, for what I assume is run defense purposes).

Comment

Working...
    X