• Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

San Diego Chargers vs. Philadelphia Eagles: Success & Stop Rates

By Richard Wade @RichardWade on Sep 16 2013, 3:30p

We take a look at Sunday morning's victory through the lens of Football Outsiders' advanced football statistics.

or those unfamiliar with Football Outsiders' success and stop rates, we'll begin with a quick refresher course. A successful play is one that gains 45% or more of the needed yards on 1st down, 60% or more of the needed yards on 2nd down, and 100% or more of the needed yards on 3rd/4th down. A stop is preventing the offense from gaining those yards.

Offense

The thing that stands out is just how much better the Chargers were throwing the football than they were running it. This stayed consistent from last week's game against the Texans. Part of that is the personnel, and part of it is the scheme and general game plan. On the personnel side of it, the unit's best players, Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates and Malcom Floyd,are more present in the passing game, so that's just more likely to be more successful. Also, Ryan Mathews is not great at breaking long runs. He is, however, quite good at avoiding negative plays. This shows up in the fact that they have better success on short yardage than on 1st & 10 running the football.

On the scheme/gameplan side, there are more design runs that are essentially successful without meeting the definition of "successful." That seems backwards, but understand that a four yard run on 1st down is essentially successful, but it is not a "success" statistically speaking. Also, sometimes you'll run just to keep the clock moving or to set up a field goal on the preferred hash mark.

Just how good was Philip Rivers? 60.8% success throwing the football despite four dropped passes and a big gainer that was fumbled by the goal line. That's lights out.

Game 1st Down 2nd Down 3rd Down

Pass 60.8% 65.2% 46.7% 69.2%

Run 37.9% 37.5% 36.4% 50.0%

Overall 52.5% 53.8% 42.3% 66.7%

Defense

The defense basically broke even through the first half. They seemed to wear down or simply have their shortcomings exploited a bit more in the second half. Luckily, things didn't get so lopsided that it was enough to give the game away. They got away with a number of blown coverages, but that appears to have been a calculated risk by the defensive coordinator based on the weaknesses of Michael Vick. Unlike past seasons, 3rd down defense remains a strength through two weeks, especially against the pass. We'll call that the Dwight Freeney effect. He's a Hall of Famer, and he's showing you why each and every week. Jarius Wynn also showed up surprisingly big in this game. The D will need guys like that to step up, especially since this was an ugly game for stars like Corey Liuget, Kendall Reyes,and Eric Weddle (if you ignore his excellent blitzing and focus on everything else).

Game 1st Down 2nd Down 3rd Down

Pass 47.6% 43.5% 41.7% 71.4%

Run 43.8% 66.7% 33.3% 25.0%

Overall 46.6% 48.3% 38.9% 54.5%
    Go Rivers!

Comment

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
      And in other news, the Charger defense has been somewhat less than adequate giving up 3.61 yards per play (worst in the league).

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

As I said before (yesterday sometime...perhaps in the Rivers thread),

The offense looks very similar to the Colts offense...the Peyton Manning/Tom Moore offense.

Lots of no huddle...lots of 3 wr's, lots of 2 te's (sorry rolondo...you ain't seeing the field much).

Rivers lining up and basing everything off the defense.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
          As I said before (yesterday sometime...perhaps in the Rivers thread),

The offense looks very similar to the Colts offense...the Peyton Manning/Tom Moore offense.

Lots of no huddle...lots of 3 wr's, lots of 2 te's (sorry rolondo...you ain't seeing the field much).

Rivers lining up and basing everything off the defense.
          I will 1 up you and call it the new K Gun offense! I would prefer not be associated with Manning Don't forget we have Reich as our QB coach.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

vs Philly we ran the Lightning Delay offense
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
              Thunderstorm Watch! (not Warning...just a watch)
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                I will 1 up you and call it the new K Gun offense! I would prefer not be associated with Manning Don't forget we have Reich as our QB coach.
                Who is Thurman Thomas?

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                  I think it's very telling that for two straight weeks (and in at least three games) this season there have been significant "lightning delays"... it's an omen!
                  Adipose

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Good offense production for most part starting this season, and I believe it will get better.

1. The O-line is still coming together and developing cohesiveness the only one playing the same postion from last year is Hardwick, and Clary moved to Guard. So just two games in with basically a new O-line still developing chemistry.

2. We aren't running long pass routes like 80% of the time like we did last year. Rivers looks more comfortable in the pocket.

3. We can run the ball and I believe this part of the game will improve as the line progresses, and they continue to learn to run to the strong side with Fluker and Clary more times than not, of course you have to mix it up going up the middle and to the left. Only issue is ball-security(Matthews-fumble)

4. Back to Rivers again we know all our WR's have a history of injuries, but give Rivers time he has shown he can link up with whoever comes in. Remember three years ago the 2010 season, VJ held out, Floyd had his usual season injury, and the other recievers were falling like flies Rivers was still putting up numbers with Patrick Clayton, Legedo Nanne, Seyi Ajirotutu, and Kelly Washington. We finished 9-7 that year.

5. If the line can stay healthy this offense will improve.

Comment

• Maverick
                      (Coryellian)
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Point Loma
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      Don't forget we have Reich as our QB coach.
                      Here's a bit of irony I connected the dots on a few days ago:

With the Texans coming back from 21 points down in the 2nd half to beat us last Monday night, the city of Houston finally got some revenge against Reich for engineering that huge comeback playoff win against the Oilers many years ago.

So, really.....our MNF loss can squarely be pinned on Reich (& karma)!

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                        I think it's very telling that for two straight weeks (and in at least three games) this season there have been significant "lightning delays"... it's an omen!
                        Haha, now that's a massive stretch, but at this point we need all the positive omens we can get.

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                          Honestly, what's with the attempted hijack?
                          I forgot to multiply by two. We are giving up 7.2 yards per play on defense. I am sorry to hijack the thread but I am one that believes you have to play defense to win in this league.

Comment

Working...
                          X