• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
    You obviously know more about other teams than I do, so I can't really argue any of your points.

Did the 49ers have a great wide receiver last year? Did they have a good left tackle?
    Do the Patriots have a good left tackle?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I actually don't know the answers to those questions.
    Yea 49ers lost Crabtree to injury this preseason. He was their big threat - he was a 1st rounder a few years ago and pretty much dominated in the playoffs and developed into a #1. They also have an All Pro at LT - Joe Staley. They had a perfect combo.

Pats have Nate Solder who they drafted in the 1st round in 2011. He's been pretty solid.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

What it boils down to is that you need both. Maybe we could have that if AJ didn't miss on 1st rounders for 4 years straight.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Joe Thomas ain't helping much out in Norv-land with the scrubs they have at WR and at QB.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Winston Justice to the rescue
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
            Gaither was a slighty above average LT, that's what I'm saying we need. We don't need a Joe Thomas. I'm not saying we don't need a capable LT, I'm saying we don't need the BEST LT to be successful. Note, I don't think Dunlap is an above average LT (although he may eventually prove me wrong hopefully).

Now to make my point, look at the 49er game this past weekend vs. the Seahawks. They had no one that could get open. Boldin couldn't get any separation vs. an elite corner. Gore is on his last leg and really isn't all that explosive anymore. You have to have capable skill positions that can win individual matchups. That's why I would take the Elite WR vs. the average WR.

Just look at the issues that New England is having now with no talent at it's skill positions. They make a difference.

You do need to have a level of protection, however, to allow your QB to work. We are currently at the very minimum threshold IMO, it's not ideal, but so far it's manageable. We still need to get to that above average level of talent.
            I'm not sure where I net out on this argument, but I did notice your comparison with NE. There is also a certain threshold of WR that a team needs. Brady is not even operating with NFL-level WRs. When Edelman's your biggest threat, you're running on fumes. In the past, they've made guys like Lloyd, Gaffney, Caldwell, etc work. But they don't even have that now. Same with us. Rivers was able to get by a few years ago without much Floyd or VJ because we had McMichael, Nanee, Washington, and Ajirotutu. Those guys are all-world compared to Brady's current cast.

There probably also needs to be a minimum threshold at OT. But unless you have a great back, it's not going to get you much. At least decent to good OT can give a QB time to find crap receivers and can open holes for marginal backs. Also, I think strategically once you've got a good LT you're not having to replace him that often. You wind him up and he goes. You're constantly cycling through skill position players. Good ones come and go and new ones are available pretty frequently at all levels of the draft. Even UFAs. That's much harder to do with a LT. So I guess I do have a position now that I've done this stream of consciousness LOL

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              Norv's offense is a fucking disaster. He needs 5 ALL Pro's to run his current down field offense it seems. He also needed elite skill players to make it work. If you have it all, it's great, otherwise they will have significant issues. Just look at the Browns skill players. They are complete shit. They get no separation and can't catch the ball. Not only does the O line have to protect long enough for the 7 step drop, but it also needs to hold on for the skill players to get open. It's not working.
              His offense isn't even his offense. He wrecked a perfectly good, even great Coryell system by simplifying it to the point that an intelligent 12 year old could figure out and game plan against its tendencies.

Really, for all of my posting zeal, I do not consider myself a football expert at all and even I could predict pass versus run pre-snap against Norv's play calling with 95% accuracy for the last several years. Now if I could do that, just imagine what opposing DCs could and did do. It probably would not have been any worse if we had held up a large sign when the offense broke the huddle that said either "pass" or "run" on it since the opposing defense probably already knew before the ball was ever snapped. Whisenhunt is already 10 times better at mixing things up. As for Norv, good riddance.

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                I'm not sure where I net out on this argument, but I did notice your comparison with NE. There is also a certain threshold of WR that a team needs. Brady is not even operating with NFL-level WRs. When Edelman's your biggest threat, you're running on fumes. In the past, they've made guys like Lloyd, Gaffney, Caldwell, etc work. But they don't even have that now. Same with us. Rivers was able to get by a few years ago without much Floyd or VJ because we had McMichael, Nanee, Washington, and Ajirotutu. Those guys are all-world compared to Brady's current cast.

There probably also needs to be a minimum threshold at OT. But unless you have a great back, it's not going to get you much. At least decent to good OT can give a QB time to find crap receivers and can open holes for marginal backs. Also, I think strategically once you've got a good LT you're not having to replace him that often. You wind him up and he goes. You're constantly cycling through skill position players. Good ones come and go and new ones are available pretty frequently at all levels of the draft. Even UFAs. That's much harder to do with a LT. So I guess I do have a position now that I've done this stream of consciousness LOL
                Rivers was able to throw to guys off the street like Crayton and Ajirotutu in 2010. Edelman, Amendola and Kenbrell Thompkins (UDFA rookie find) are not so bad. I would say that they are better than the likes of Crayton and Ajirotutu.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Clady done for the year. IR
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                    Clady done for the year. IR
                    Hate to hear about guy's being injured, but it couldn't have happened to a 'nicer' team.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                      Manning is nowhere near the same QB when he is under pressure. Chris Clark, the person that may serve as Clady's replacement is an undrafted free agent. He has started 6 games, but he is obviously nowhere near Clady's level as a player. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for the Broncos.
                      Yeah, playing against a backup can really pad your stats.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                        Rivers was able to throw to guys off the street like Crayton and Ajirotutu in 2010. Edelman, Amendola and Kenbrell Thompkins (UDFA rookie find) are not so bad. I would say that they are better than the likes of Crayton and Ajirotutu.
                        I don't count pieces of glass like Amendola.

Edelman, best of the bunch might be a better overall football player than Tutu but he's not a better receiver. I didn't include Crayton on the list because he was way worse than the guys I did mention.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                          Hate to hear about guy's being injured, but it couldn't have happened to a 'nicer' team.
                          I don't like it when guys get injured but if he was going to get injured anyway, I wish we would have been the ones to do it so I could put that whole Jamal Williams thing to bed. Still pissed about that.

I know.:tantrum:

Comment

Working...
                          X