• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rugger05
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Gates

While its only two games into the season Gates has really surprised me with how well he is playing. He does look leaner and faster the years past. Maybe his foot is feeling better. He looks faster then his has in awhile
  • BoltBalls
    Always keep eye contact!
    • Jun 2013
    • SD!
    • Send PM

While he does look faster and more agile like back in the day, his hands are the worst they have ever been IMO. Way too many drops and his first fumble since 2008 for a guy that we could always count on for making awesome catches in traffic. Hopefully he is getting it all out of his system now though.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

He has had a few drops..and I'm just going to say it... he did that some last year too.

Love his little release inside, and then the spin move back to the outside...that's hard to stop. That's a very unique Gates play...not many TE's can do that.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBalls View Post
        While he does look faster and more agile like back in the day, his hands are the worst they have ever been IMO. Way too many drops and his first fumble since 2008 for a guy that we could always count on for making awesome catches in traffic. Hopefully he is getting it all out of his system now though.
        I counted 2 drops, so I guess he's on a pace for 16, which is not so hot. The fumble...I'm giving him a pass on that one. He was off-balance, his arm swung out far too the left, and Boykin just happened to be Johnny on the Spot for that one. Now, if it becomes a trend....

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

It's the drops that are concerning. He should of had a TD in the end zone this past week. It was a tough catch, but one he used to make with regularity. His routes though are still excellent and he's pretty unstoppable in short yardage.

Comment

• BoltBalls
            Always keep eye contact!
            • Jun 2013
            • SD!
            • Send PM

He also made a killer drop on 3rd down in the 4th quarter of the Houston game. That play, had it been a 1st down, may have allowed us to finish with a W depending on how the rest of the drive played out.

Comment

• TTK
              EX-Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • America's Finest City
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
              I counted 2 drops, so I guess he's on a pace for 16, which is not so hot. The fumble...I'm giving him a pass on that one. He was off-balance, his arm swung out far too the left, and Boykin just happened to be Johnny on the Spot for that one. Now, if it becomes a trend....
              I can't give him a pass on that because it's already a trend. He's often holds the ball like that and has got it knocked out a few times but fortunately the Chargers usually recover the fumble. But there's no excuse for holding the ball like that. It's horrible technique.

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Gates does look lighter, faster and more agile this year. He has always been good for some drops that you wouldn't expect from a player capable of making the great plays he has over his career. I completely agree with Beerman that the pass into the corner of the end zone should have been caught--I don't think Rivers could have handed it to him any better. Still, if he stays healthy, I think he is going to have a big year for us.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Gates is a bonafied Hall of Famer on the downside of his career. Despite that fact he is looking faster and sleeker than the last few years. I for one, in this rebuilding year, will try my best to celebrate Gates the HOFer, seems we have had too many Chargers greats pass through that we (myself included) bash for one reason or another. I'm not going to do that to Gatsey.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

I do hope Green is learning all the nuances from Gates though, he does so many of the little things so well that gets him the separation needed to make the reception. I'm still holding out hope that Green starts getting more run, I've seen him in formations, but he's not going into patterns very often.

Comment

• Yubaking
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      I do hope Green is learning all the nuances from Gates though, he does so many of the little things so well that gets him the separation needed to make the reception. I'm still holding out hope that Green starts getting more run, I've seen him in formations, but he's not going into patterns very often.
                      Gates is the best TE I have ever seen at using his body to create an opening for a pass.

Comment

Working...
                      X