• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandiego17
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
    Even if Gilchrist makes that INT, it just would have been a lucky bounce. Not a great defensive call or play.
    Winning changes the narrative. Completely.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Jake Locker was as unproven as this defense was.

Rivers completed 20/24 passes yesterday. Let him throw a quick pass or something. I can understand killing more clock if they had less than a minute left but they had over 2 minutes and the two minute warning. That's way too much time, even for QBs not named Manning or Brady.

Even if Gilchrist makes that INT, it just would have been a lucky bounce. Not a great defensive call or play. The receiver was wide open and should have had a big gain on that.
      I wonder how many game-ending INTs are the result of lucky bounces? I would think a good number. Let's not hold the Chargers to a higher standard, requiring them to make "great defensive plays" to close out a game. Lucky bounces count, too.

Comment

• TABF
        Por debajo del promedio
        • Jun 2013
        • SoCal
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
        Winning changes the narrative. Completely.
        Not for me.... Mostly... I mean I wouldn't have written this piece as bummed out had we picked the ball, or had we not committed the holding call that backed us waaaay up. Against Houston we threw the ball and that was the right move but almost 100% abandon the run very early in the second half. We plain and simple didn't execute offensively versus Houston. This week we played to run off as much clock (literally) and told our D, "protect the lead" .... Why would we put our worst unit on the field to get the all important "W"....? Why not do what you can with your best unit in the field... Every play in the play book should have been an option for our offense on the drive in question.

We know our D sucks... Keep them off the field to better your chances.

Comment

• TABF
          Por debajo del promedio
          • Jun 2013
          • SoCal
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          I wonder how many game-ending INTs are the result of lucky bounces? I would think a good number. Let's not hold the Chargers to a higher standard, requiring them to make "great defensive plays" to close out a game. Lucky bounces count, too.
          Concur... I was thinking earlier today that our season looks a lot different if it were not for a fabulous pick of Rivers vs Houston and had what's his name picked the lucky bounce ball vs the tits. We didn't get the easy one and our opponent got the acrobatic one.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
            Concur... I was thinking earlier today that our season looks a lot different if it were not for a fabulous pick of Rivers vs Houston and had what's his name picked the lucky bounce ball vs the tits. We didn't get the easy one and our opponent got the acrobatic one.
            But that's exactly the point. Cushing made an incredible play. No luck there. Gilchrist got a giftwrapped interception and blew it. And the defense couldn't make a stop afterwards.

Sometimes you're going to get a lucky break but you can't depend on them. You have to step up and make plays and right now the defense isn't capable of doing that. Which keeps going back to the bad decision to turtle up in the fourth quarter.

Comment

• TABF
              Por debajo del promedio
              • Jun 2013
              • SoCal
              • Send PM

But that's exactly the point. Cushing made an incredible play. No luck there. Gilchrist got a giftwrapped interception and blew it. And the defense couldn't make a stop afterwards.

Sometimes you're going to get a lucky break but you can't depend on them. You have to step up and make plays and right now the defense isn't capable of doing that. Which keeps going back to the bad decision to turtle up in the fourth quarter.
              The exact reason I started this thread. if the offense executes we're 3-0. They had every opportunity to do that in both of our losses and we played turtle in some way shape or form.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

So would you say "We're 2 plays away from 3-0"?

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
                  So would you say "We're 2 plays away from 3-0"?
                  Exactly!

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

The Texans loss was more than a play IMO. They just gave that game away.

I can see where you can say that the Tenn game was 1 play away, but again, it should never have even gotten to that point.

It does come down to execution though. I like the game plans McCoy/Wiz have been coming up with. We have been attacking defenses in all the right places in the first halves. They just haven't executed in the 2nd half of our losses.

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Opera singer and web developer.
                      • Send PM

Play to your strengths and go for the win.
                      Start a hospital?
                      Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Opera singer and web developer.
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
                        Not from me... win/lose doing what you do best... after 12 quarters of football even the lamest of bolt fans knows what that is.
                        And on that particular drive, we were power running very effectively. Given the state of our OL at that moment in time, pounding the ball forward and the ground was probably something we could do a lot better than dropping back to pass. Or do we quickly forget the fumbles and picks that led to opponent scores when we tried to pass in an obvious passing situation with the game on the line and a sieve of an OL. We weren't just playing not to lose there; we were playing to our current strength and being aggressive!
                        Adipose

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

Time to start this hospitals
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X