• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blahblahblah
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    You didn't even need to respond that that drivel.

One thing has been made crystal clear though. Larry English is not going to be resigned.
    I'm not even sure English is worth a roster spot if there was ANYTHING available to replace him. Thanks AJ.

Comment

• Boltergeist
      Pesky apparition
      • Jun 2013
      • Baja Oklahoma
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
      That wasn't a hold. The O-lineman had his hands correctly positioned all the way to the ground. The officials were correct to pick up that flag.

In the meantime, we got away with an egregious hold on the PI against Dallas. That should have been offsetting penalties and a replay of downs. Not sure how the umpire missed that one, as it was as blatant as I've seen, but I'll take it.
      I, obviously, disagree on the Freeney call. There were two later plays where our OL had Cowboys' players in headlocks. I guess it all evens out... when you win.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

And Liuget. Game ball for him for sure. Heck of a game.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
          And Liuget. Game ball for him for sure. Heck of a game.
          Was definitely more active than the prior 3 games. Was it because of the injury or because it was inferior competition at OG? I'm hoping it's the injury.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Are you taking Philip Rivers' comeback season seriously yet? You should be.

The San Diego Chargers quarterback was brilliant again Sunday, setting a career high in completions and throwing for 401 yards with three touchdowns and only one interception in a 30-21 win over the Dallas Cowboys.

Rivers finished 35 of 42 with an 83-percent completion percentage that set a single-game record for a QB throwing for at least 400 yards.

The Chargers are 2-2, and Rivers' revitalization makes them a major player in the AFC playoff race. San Diego's not going to challenge the mighty Denver Broncos in the AFC West, but a wild-card run is wholly possible with Rivers playing at an MVP level.

Here's what else we learned:

1. Shame on the Cowboys, who had a chance to establish themselves as a legit NFC contender and let another game slip away instead. Dallas had a 21-10 lead in the second quarter but surrendered the game's final 20 points. You won't read any Monte Kiffin fluff pieces this week.

2. Antonio Gates is alive and well. The veteran Chargers tight end was a beast, finishing with 10 catches for 140 yards and a touchdown. Rivers' resurgence has done wonders for Gates, who looks healthy and is producing like his mid-2000s heyday.

3. Dwight Freeney left with a quad injury and didn't return. An injury to watch, as Freeney is the only player who has consistently managed to get near the quarterback for the Chargers.

4. It was a rough game for Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne, who routinely was picked on by Rivers. Claiborne doesn't look like a confident player right now.

Comment

• Buck
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Weddle played well and I heard both Marshall and Butler say that Eric Weddle directly influenced that fumble by telling them where to be positioned for the play.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

McCoy gave alot of credit to the OL coach. Told McCoy he would have his guys ready. He gets a game ball imo.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  McCoy gave alot of credit to the OL coach. Told McCoy he would have his guys ready. He gets a game ball imo.
                  He's worked miracles with this group. I mean seriously we were a consensus worst O line in the league coming into the season. Not even the most homer of fans could deny that we have glaring holes across the entire unit. Now down 3 starting lineman and Rivers is able to throw for 400 on a 83% clip? Just outstanding. That there weren't more protection breakdowns is very surprising.

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2013
                    • Send PM

McCoy has put together a fantastic offensive staff, truly excellent.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                      Go Aztecs and Pads
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      He's worked miracles with this group. I mean seriously we were a consensus worst O line in the league coming into the season. Not even the most homer of fans could deny that we have glaring holes across the entire unit. Now down 3 starting lineman and Rivers is able to throw for 400 on a 83% clip? Just outstanding. That there weren't more protection breakdowns is very surprising.
                      Yep.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Guy Lombardo View Post
                        McCoy has put together a fantastic offensive staff, truly excellent.
                        And supposedly had to inherit most of the defensive staff.

Hmm.....

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

AN DIEGO -- Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates are both in their early 30s -- greybeards by NFL standards -- but the San Diego Chargers’ top playmaking combo showed they can still get the job done.

Case in point: Rivers said on his 56-yard touchdown pass to Gates with 6:54 left that he knew pre-snap the athletic tight end had a chance to get deep on Dallas linebacker Sean Lee. But initially, Rivers thought the pass might be too long.

“When he accelerated, at first I thought I overthrew him,” Rivers said following the Chargers' 30-21 victory. “And then when I saw him kind of dig, I felt pretty good that he was going to get there.”

[+] EnlargeSan Diego's Antonio Gates
                          Robert Hanashiro/USA TODAY Sports
                          Antonio Gates heads for the end zone, completing a 56-yard connection from Philip Rivers.
                          Rivers, 31, completed 35 of 42 passes for 401 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. His 83.3 percent completion percentage was the highest in NFL history for a 400-yard passing game. In four games, Rivers has thrown for 1,199 yards and 11 touchdowns and just two interceptions, completing 74 percent of his passes.

His touchdown to Gates was the 200th of his career; Rivers became the 34th player in NFL history with 200 touchdown strikes.

“I certainly feel in sync,” Rivers said about his play in the month of September. “I feel the rhythm. I feel comfortable in the pocket. I feel comfortable with the offense, and the way we’re operating. You’ve got to keep going play-to-play, because that can change in one interception for a touchdown. Then can change in one play, so you’ve got to stick with it.”

Gates, 33, notched his 21st 100-yard receiving game. Gates totaled 10 catches for 136 yards, passing Hall of Fame tight end Ozzie Newsome (662 catches) for the fourth-most receptions by a tight end in NFL history.

Gates now leads the Chargers with 25 receptions for 364 yards and two touchdown catches.
                          Despite their age, both Gates and Rivers believe they can still play at a high level on a consistent basis.

“At the end of the day it’s about my preparation to help us win football games,” Gates said. “If I can do those things and give it 100 percent, I’ll feel good about it every single Sunday.”

Added Rivers about Gates: “When you get him matched up, I’m not sure if he’s ever covered. He’s still playing at a super-high level.”

Part of the reason for San Diego’s resurgence on offense has been the team’s reliance on an up-tempo offense, including at times no-huddle. The result was positive for the Chargers on Sunday, as they ran 70 plays, racking up 506 yards of total offense.

“When you go no-huddle, the quarterback gets a lot of credit,” Rivers said. “But it takes all 11 guys to go. The center, the linemen knowing what we’re getting to. And the receiver knowing where they are on the field -- it takes all of us. It by no means is just me out there running everything. Certainly I have a hand in it, but it’s 11 guys being on the same page.”

Added San Diego coach Mike McCoy: “It’s a great way to play the game. But it’s going back to how we think the best way is to play the game, week in and week out. We’ve said from Day 1 that we’re going to change from week-to-week. That’s the way we’re going to do it.”

Comment

Working...
                          X