• Show
Clear All
  • TABF
    Por debajo del promedio
    • Jun 2013
    • SoCal
    • Send PM

Talent Versus Team

Which would you rather have, a very talented group with marquee players, but perform like individuals, or a no name group of guys that play above themselves and find a way to win?

If (A BIG HUGE IF)... We are going to win more games than not this season, we are going to have to do it with the latter for sure. Tons of talent in the NFL, but not all talented groups are true teams in every sense of the word. A few things I know... We out coached and out played the boys on Sunday and we played like a team.

I have no idea who was on the field as some of these guys were not football players a month ago, but we found a way to win. I don't know if Sunday was an anomoly and I don't know if we are a team, but it will sure be fun to watch what happens w/our group of no-name kids.
    A very talented group of players that we all know
    20.00%
    a FOOTBALL team of no names
    80.00%
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

You can't just have a bunch of no names. You have to have those elite players particularly at QB.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Names are overated...
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

Thing is, if you put together a team of no-names that plays like a team and wins a bunch of games, the no-names won't be no-names for long.
        Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
          Go Aztecs and Pads
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Option 2 sounds like the Giants that won two championships. I know some people think Elisha is good but he's not really. Option one sounds like the team we've had for the past decade.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

You mean the Giants teams that were loaded with elite pass rushing talent? Hardly no names.

Comment

• thelightningwill
              Go Aztecs and Pads
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              You mean the Giants teams that were loaded with elite pass rushing talent? Hardly no names.
              I didn't know them at the time. Not everybody knows as much as you.

Comment

• Buck
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Clearly the latter is working better for us it seems, still need an Elite QB nowadays, or Joe Flacco.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Osi, Strahan, and Tuck were pretty awesome that season.

Comment

• TABF
                    Por debajo del promedio
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoCal
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                    Osi, Strahan, and Tuck were pretty awesome that season.
                    But we're they all household names prior to that season....? A Super Bowl win changes perception greatly.

The key is that they played great team football, we're very cohesive, picked up where others lacked & did it without the marquee guys. Sure some were already established all pro's but the lion share of players on that team were just good NFL players that were well coached and 'really' bought into the system.

Comment

• Buck
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I would say only Strahan was. Osi became one during the season, and I didn't even know who Tuck was until he sacked Brady to end the game.

By their next SB, Tuck was the most household name of all of them.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
                        But we're they all household names prior to that season....? A Super Bowl win changes perception greatly.

The key is that they played great team football, we're very cohesive, picked up where others lacked & did it without the marquee guys. Sure some were already established all pro's but the lion share of players on that team were just good NFL players that were well coached and 'really' bought into the system.
                        But they had talent. Your poll suggests that's not needed at all. All those guys were high picks.

You can't have success with a team full of UDFA's. You can't consistently blow your high draft picks and expect to have success. Yes you need good coaching, but you also need to have high end talent to take advantage of the good coaching.

I think the team Norv took over is a good example. He just didn't make great use of it. Sproles is the perfect example of a talented player that wasn't used to the best of his abilities. It's obvious Rivers was handcuffed as well.
                        Last edited by Beerman; 10-01-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X