• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buck
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Are there any trade candidates for us?

Specifically for our defense? Are any names being floated out there for trade that would be worth giving up a pick for? I'm assuming the only way Telesco would pull a trade is if it was for the chance at a guy he wanted for multiple years.
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Buck View Post
    Specifically for our defense? Are any names being floated out there for trade that would be worth giving up a pick for? I'm assuming the only way Telesco would pull a trade is if it was for the chance at a guy he wanted for multiple years.
    A trade does't make much sense for the Chargers this season. They are not close to making a push deep into the playoffs - or even getting to the playoffs - and there's no sense trading draft pick(s) to acquire someone like Keenan McCardell or Chris Chambers. I know you were talking about defensive guys, but we had to surrender 2nds (plus a 5th, I think, for McCardell), so I'd be very much against paying a price like that for an equivalent guy for the defense.

Not this year. It's just not the right time, IMO.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

I wouldn't say that Q. The thing is that any trade should involve a player that's controllable for more than this season (or that we negotiate an extension with prior to trade).

I haven't heard of any defensive trade options floating out there.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

I was thinking about the Monroe trade a few minutes ago. And its a pretty small price that the Ravens paid. Started wondering if the Bolts would have made a deal like that. But then it made me wonder about Dunlap and his future with us. He hasn't been terrible and its entirely possible with the coaching hes getting he ends up our LT of the near future. I just wonder if TT is thinking that way. That Dunlap is our franchise LT going forward. He is only 28. If thats the case the draft approach changes. I personally think we need to get one of the studs coming out next year. But i cant help but think that this staff is satisfied going forward with Dunlap.

Weve give up the 3rd fewest sacks in the league. With scrubs. Crazyness.

Comment

• TABF
          Por debajo del promedio
          • Jun 2013
          • SoCal
          • Send PM

Many reasons not to make a trade, but money has to be a big factor. We would have to find an even money swap cap wise We would have to lose a player, and I can't think of anyone on our team (that isn't crucial) that would be sought out enough to give us an upgrade on D.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Monroe should command a fairly large figure on the open market if he has some success with Baltimore. He already had a fair amount of value even before the trade and likely would have been the top LT target this offseason.

I personally would rather go after a LT in the draft.

I think it was a win win trade for both teams, but long term it's a clear win for Jax who would have lost him this offseason for nothing. They had already planned on letting him go with the selection of Joekel.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
              A trade does't make much sense for the Chargers this season. They are not close to making a push deep into the playoffs - or even getting to the playoffs - and there's no sense trading draft pick(s) to acquire someone like Keenan McCardell or Chris Chambers. I know you were talking about defensive guys, but we had to surrender 2nds (plus a 5th, I think, for McCardell), so I'd be very much against paying a price like that for an equivalent guy for the defense.

this

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
                this
                Hard to really say. If you're talking about McCardell and Chambers types, then probably not. But trades can take a lot of different forms. If there is a young player we think can man a role and develop into something why wouldn't you do that deal? I don't know who is available that fits that description, but I wouldnt just knee-jerk "no" on it. And if there's a deal where we could get rid of Mathews and pick up someone decent, I'd be all over it.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

I don't mind trading 6th-7th round picks for proven players AT ALL. If they can improve this team, go for it. Obviously I would be leaning towards upgrading the defensive side of the ball at this point.

Comment

I doubt that we will go after anyone, but if we do, I hope it's an OLB since Freeney just tore his quad.

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Party pooper. All aboard!

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                        Monroe should command a fairly large figure on the open market if he has some success with Baltimore. He already had a fair amount of value even before the trade and likely would have been the top LT target this offseason.

I personally would rather go after a LT in the draft.

I think it was a win win trade for both teams, but long term it's a clear win for Jax who would have lost him this offseason for nothing. They had already planned on letting him go with the selection of Joekel.
                        If Dunlap plays well this season, I would rather take a pass rusher than LT if they are graded out closely by our scouting department. Reason being, the offense we are running now relies less on longer protection time and gets the ball out quickly. Yes, I still would like a long term LT, but addressing our desperate need to apply pressure on the defensive side will help our team more and pay dividends quicker.

Comment

Working...
                        X