• Show
Clear All
  • BoltBacker
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Send PM

Rivers longevity?

How many years does Rivers have in him. Some on the board suggest building around him makes no sense because of his age. I would like to argue his lack of mobility is a big reason he will be leading the Chargers for a long time to come. He does not rely on athleticism, that should slow his decent. The strengths he does rely on won't deteriorate with time as fast. His strengths; Quick release, good field vision and accuracy aren't going away. Peyton is 37 and playing as well as ever and the comparison fits with rivers, they both have similar strengths. If PR doesn't suffer a major injury there is no reason he won't outlast every player currently on the roster with the exception of probably Fluker. I see him lasting 7-10 more years. Blast away.
    Last edited by BoltBacker; 10-01-2013, 09:07 PM.
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

It's how long his arm can last with that throwing motion. The last two years it looked like he lost a lot of zip. Now, I really think he was fighting an injury. His arm is as strong as it was 6-7 years ago. At least after 4 games.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

another 5 at least.

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

He turns 32, I think 4 years is a reasonable timeframe for him to play at an elite level. Assuming he's in this type of offense.

I do think it's clear they should start working on an extension to give us some cap relief and add on 2-3 more years. Further solidify the O line and then fill in all the holes on D. Make a run.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
          How many years does Rivers have in him. Some on the board suggest building around him makes no sense because of his age. I would like to argue his lack of mobility is a big reason he will be leading the Chargers for a long time to come. He does not rely on athleticism, that should slow his decent. The strengths he does rely on won't deteriorate with time as fast. His strengths; Quick release, good field vision and accuracy aren't going away. Peyton is 37 and playing as well as ever and the comparison fits with rivers, they both have similar strengths. If PR doesn't suffer a major injury there is no reason he won't outlast every player currently on the roster with the exception of probably Fluker. I see him lasting 7-10 more years. Blast away.
          I dont kno about 10 years but id say up to 5-7 years easy.

Comment

• BoltBacker
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Las Vegas, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            I dont kno about 10 years but id say up to 5-7 years easy.
            Seven years is probably about right which would put him at 38. Four years puts him at 35 and I see no way he is out of the NFL at 35. Drew Brees is 34 right now! I'm sorry but it is crazy to think Rivers will be done at 35.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

LOL

Three months ago, it was "Is this guy worth a crap?" and "What are we doing relying on him?" and now it's "How long do you think he can last?"

Not dumping on anyone (except those that thought trading him for Alex Smith was wise), but it's interesting how far things have come.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                LOL

Three months ago, it was "Is this guy worth a crap?" and "What are we doing relying on him?" and now it's "How long do you think he can last?"

Not dumping on anyone (except those that thought trading him for Alex Smith was wise), but it's interesting how far things have come.
                I clearly was on the fence with him, but this offense seems just perfect for him. He's stopped forcing throws. He's just taking what defenses give them. I think we all recognized he had a quick release, but he never was in a position to use it in Norv's down field offense.

He can run this offense with a noodle arm as long as they keep surrounding him with some talent. 50% of it has been his presnap reads/adjustments, then he just needs to put the ball on the money.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  I clearly was on the fence with him, but this offense seems just perfect for him. He's stopped forcing throws. He's just taking what defenses give them. I think we all recognized he had a quick release, but he never was in a position to use it in Norv's down field offense.

He can run this offense with a noodle arm as long as they keep surrounding him with some talent. 50% of it has been his presnap reads/adjustments, then he just needs to put the ball on the money.
                  He can't make that pass to Gates with a noodle arm
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                    It was only like a 25 yard throw. I still characterize that as a noodle arm, it was more touch than anything as he just dropped it in there. The problem was the 45-50 yard pass plays that Norv called.

Note: I don't actually think he has a noodle arm, just that even if he does lose some arm strength, he can still run the offense.
                    Last edited by Beerman; 10-01-2013, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                      i dont think he even had both feet on the ground either. that was pretty much all arm.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                        LOL

Yeah but those words never came from me. I never thought he needed to be "fixed". Have i missed the appology thread?

Comment

Working...
                        X