• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Week 5 Injury updates

UTgehlken: Full participant. Set to play Sunday (Cox). We'll see about CB Shareece Wright (hamstring). RT @kjones0021 Was Derek Cox back at practice?

UTgehlken: Missed practice for Chargers: LT Dunlap (concussion), LG Rinehart (toe), RG Clary (clavicle), G Ohrnberger (groin), CB Patrick (chest).

I really hope we can get one of our starting OG's back this week. I really don't want to start Schilling again. Ohrnberger should remain out I suspect with the groin. Can't rush those back.
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

SAN DIEGO -- Starting cornerbacks Derek Cox and Shareece Wright were together fully participating on the practice field for the first time in three weeks.

Wright missed the past two games with a hamstring injury. And Cox left last week’s game against the Cowboys late with a knee issue, but appeared fine during the early portion of practice open to reporters on Wednesday.

However, San Diego continues to have depth issues along the offensive line. Three starters -- left tackle King Dunlap (concussion), left guard Chad Rinehart (toe) and right guard Jeromey Clary (clavicle) remain out, along with reserve guard Rich Ohrnberger (groin).

Ohrnberger worked with trainers on the side field, while Rinehart rode a stationary bike during the early portion of practice.

Reserve cornerback Johnny Patrick also sat out on Wednesday. Patrick appeared to suffer an undisclosed injury during last week’s game, but later returned to the field.

New receiver Lavelle Hawkins is wearing the No. 10. The Chargers also added two players to the practice squad, running back Miguel Maysonet and offensive lineman Andrew Tiller.

Comment

• Mr. Ray Dehaiter
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I want to see Troutman and Fluker on the right side mauling people...

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mr. Ray Dehaiter View Post
        I want to see Troutman and Fluker on the right side mauling people...
        I don't think we'll ever see him on the right. He has yet to practice/play there in his entire career.

That stat that he hasn't allowed a sack in his entire college career would also seem to imply he's not terrible in pass protection. I'll be thrilled if he shows this past game wasn't a fluke. One less piece needed in the draft. If he has another strong game vs. the Raiders, I would also be inclined to leave him as the starter.

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Pryor to start.

Terrelle Pryor will start at quarterback for the Oakland Raiders on Sunday night against the San Diego Chargers, coach Dennis Allen said Wednesday.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Wonder who makes it back first, clary or rinehart? I think we need clary more. I feel dirty for even typing that.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

schilling has always done pretty decent when he's played. I remember him having a good game when he was pressed into duty against the bears. I think that was two years ago. I have more confidence in him than I do ohrnberger. schilling is a gamer. not saying he's starting caliber but for a game or two he's fine.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

We need both of our starting corners due to the Raiders speed factor at reciever, the Raider recievers aren't great but if we don't get the pass rush going we need to stay with their receivers

Comment

• MakoShark
                  Disgruntled
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Alabama
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
                  Wonder who makes it back first, clary or rinehart? I think we need clary more. I feel dirty for even typing that.
                  I'm inclined to think the same thing, but we really haven't been running right much. We've had some cut backs to that side, but not any real power running on the right. Kinda surprises me. That said i still would like to see Clary back.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Opera singer and web developer.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                    I'm inclined to think the same thing, but we really haven't been running right much. We've had some cut backs to that side, but not any real power running on the right. Kinda surprises me. That said i still would like to see Clary back.
                    I believe this fits with Whiz' penchant for keeping defenses off balance. Everyone knows we have a road grader in Fluker, so running right would be predictable. Thus, run a fair bit to the left. Then when they think runs are going left, cut back right. But when they have run right, wow, Fluker has been a beast!

Similar thing happened last weekend. One of the things we heard repeatedly last week is how Mathews runs 200% of the time he's in the game. Thus, those swing passes were uber-effective, because the defense was cheating run. Likewise, at one point we ran 2 plays in a row and Mathews had decent gains. He stayed in the game and the defense probably expected run. Play-action, 56 yard TD pass to Gates.

I think this coaching staff is working really hard to bust tendencies, or at least use tendencies to their advantage. For the first time that I can remember, our coaching staff is consistently out-coaching the opposition.
                    Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
                      Disgruntled
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Alabama
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                      I believe this fits with Whiz' penchant for keeping defenses off balance. Everyone knows we have a road grader in Fluker, so running right would be predictable. Thus, run a fair bit to the left. Then when they think runs are going left, cut back right. But when they have run right, wow, Fluker has been a beast!

Similar thing happened last weekend. One of the things we heard repeatedly last week is how Mathews runs 200% of the time he's in the game. Thus, those swing passes were uber-effective, because the defense was cheating run. Likewise, at one point we ran 2 plays in a row and Mathews had decent gains. He stayed in the game and the defense probably expected run. Play-action, 56 yard TD pass to Gates.

I think this coaching staff is working really hard to bust tendencies, or at least use tendencies to their advantage. For the first time that I can remember, our coaching staff is consistently out-coaching the opposition.
                      Whats that you say? I've not heard of anything like that for say.....the last 6 years
                      sigpic

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
                        Clary news.

Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken LT Dunlap, LG Rinehart, G Ohrnberger remain sidelined. RT @UTkrasovic Chargers RG Jeromey Clary (clavicle) is practicing

Comment

Working...
                        X